Anyone done a dualboot/double OS with WIN 7?

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
I'm planning on this, and although I've done it before, it was years ago and the OS in question was Windows 98 :sadbana:

Since I do a lot of other stuff on this computer as well like play games, waste time on the internet, photo editing and all that, plus it's a shared thing with my missus. During the first few months of win 7 it was amazingly fast and I couldnt get the CPU to choke whatever I threw at it production wise. Recently it has slowed down, boot times have grown etc.

Win 7 is definately the way to go for me, and I'd like to keep my production OS as clean as possible, without network connection, firewalls etc. So i think in this case the only option is to have 2 installs of windows. Googling this stuff up atm.

Anyone done this before, have any tips or advice or useful links?

I have win7 alongside my XP64 install and UbuntuStudio, although i've hardly touched 7 months, i'd reclaim the drive if i didnt need premiere occasoinally (doesnt work in xp64 :/ )

The only recurring issue I have found with 7 is boot options, have to install XP first, then windows 7, or you can end up only being able to boot XP, easily fixable off the install dvd or via linux, but still a pain in the arse

I've done it like half a year ago. But got back to XP after two months because a lot of software wasn't working on Win7, guess that is fixed now.

Just follow the instructions in the link below.
There are instructions for when XP is installed first and for when Win7 is installed first:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Actually I'm now running Win XP 64-bit and Win XP 32-bit. Just in case when a plugin doesn't work on 64-bit. :D

Yeah but I'm really satisfied with Windows 7, and want to install that x2. I already got a response on DOA saying you just install it 2 times. simple as. A solution most obvious, it seems, is the one most difficult to realize.

One in 32 and one in 64? Or both the same?

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

I just took a look at the Win7 forums and installing two versions of Win7 shouldn't be a problem, as long as they are on seperate harddisks or partitions.
The only thing you'll probably have to do is restoring the boot from the oldest Win 7 after installing the second one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installa...i-install-two-win7-two-partition-same-pc.html

Back
Top Bottom