A Guide to Surgical EQ

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
Another quick tutorial I threw together today for you lovely lot, excuse the sniffs and croaky voice.......it's man flu season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tutorial geez.. very helpful, as a tune im working on at the moment has a pad sound that had really pierces my ears when i play higher frequency notes.. im not quite sure what the definition of resonance/resonating is... but I assume this is what im hearing? - so surgical eq'ing seems the way forward! Cheers

Nice tutorial geez.. very helpful, as a tune im working on at the moment has a pad sound that had really pierces my ears when i play higher frequency notes.. im not quite sure what the definition of resonance/resonating is... but I assume this is what im hearing? - so surgical eq'ing seems the way forward! Cheers

Yep thats pretty much it,

Nice one for this mate, just did this on the bass of the tune im working on and its really made a difference. Cant thank you enough!

Hey Mr Fletch, cheers for the video - very very handy to have something like this to refer to. Gonna +sub once I get home.

I'd be very keen on a tutorial about kick and snare compression, in case you want ideas for your next video.

You're sick man

Nah but seriously great tut. Did you make that pad sound yourself or is it a preset?

Last edited:
fletch m8, i ran into a prob recently when doing this notch eq'in that i found myself finding a lot of resonate spikes across the sweep but by time i had sorted them all out, my bass sounded poo poo compared to the original one b4 the notch eq'in...... Is there such a thing as too much or a case of compromise?

by time i had sorted them all out, my bass sounded poo poo compared to the original one b4 the notch eq'in...... Is there such a thing as too much or a case of compromise?

i was also wondering about this, was notching it with parametric eq2 in FL.

for me it seemed like i need to find a balance between notch-eqing and keeping the harmonics in the sound...?

Back
Top Bottom