Working with odd Neurobass

AzUK

So I have this metallic neurobass, but whenever its played with the drums,either the drums mask the modulation of the reese if I sidechain, or I can't hear the drums. I've been messing around with resampling the kick/snare and then crossfading them in and then directly apllying the modulation to the kick/ resampled neurobass-like kick, but it doesn't work at all. I also tried notch eq sidechaining which didn't work either. The neurobass in question is basically a standard neurobass with several layer of vocoding using chopped growls each which their formants changed and modulated, then applying chorus/distortion stacking before resampling.

What kind of envelope setting did you try on the sidechain? If you have a short enough release time you could setup a transient shaper on the drums to decide just how long you want the "punch" to last so that you can move the bass out of the way for enough time that the drums are heard (more importantly felt); which you could also get more technical with by setting up your sidechain to just the frequencies that are getting masked so that you'll only have to work with them as opposed to the signal level of the entire spectrum (read: more theoretical accuracy for your compression settings). Also you said you've got loads of vocoding and chorus going on? So, then your bass should be much wider than your drums; maybe mono out your drums or at least make them thinner with some sort of stereo enhancer along with the some mid/side EQ'ing or applications of the same stuff mentioned might get you a better result.

Idk I'm p. blitzed right now so lemme know if A.) What I said even made sense and B.) If any of it worked.

Good luck broski.

I've tried repitching the drums too, but they don't carry the modulation and just seem odd.

I have problems sidechaining directly because they cut out the rhythmic modulation i have going on.

It wounds like you might need some good ol fashioned EQing if they keep clashing like that. You might have to change up the drum samples, because Pride's right, sometimes certain samples just dont work.

Back
Top Bottom