Where is my sub?

Dissiopathic

Hi at everybody..
After one year spending in making music i'm trying to fix my lack etc..

I have now a question about sub..
Why the fuck pro artist have a sub that hit the chest and it bring out from the mix, and my sub are poor..
I'm usually use Massive set a sine wave or other wave table, then low pass.. Ok now i have a "clear" sub frequency, i can add a bit of distortion to make the sub easyer to hear in small system..
I can compress it, add side chain and mix properly.. But...it's poor it doesn't have that power feel.. Or it have power in a specific note but in other one near is going to less power
What's wrong? What i forget?

Ty at all and good weekend!

Ps. Sorry for my english

Last edited:
if its not big, clear and fat, the compression, side chain and mix is not right - just takes practice, many many hours of practice!

If you want more specific details than that, use the new talent section to post a track up and get some feedback

Sometimes your other elements can get in the way of the sub. You can't get more sub than a sin wave so it's an easy thing to do right, it's setting the levels of everything else around it that tends to be the problem.

also it has definitely a lot do with the note you are playing, I usually find e/f/f# have the "fattest" subs

thanks at all.. than yes some note have a better impact but, pros have big impact in every note.. instead my sub i some note it's "good" in others seems like it's lack in deepness and vibes..i don't know how they keep the sub linear deep and present in every single note..

You just need to get the level right, straight out. When i started dealing with sub i had it way too low. It should be peaking somewhere above -11db, depending on the style.
thanks at all.. than yes some note have a better impact but, pros have big impact in every note.. instead my sub i some note it's "good" in others seems like it's lack in deepness and vibes..i don't know how they keep the sub linear deep and present in every single note..
This is probably because of your setup. In an untreated room the subs will always sound at different levels at different notes, because of acoustics. Also, your speakers or headphones probably drop off somewhere above the sub range, usually around 50hz.

Last edited:
yep Standing Waves are a serious problem in home studios, bass traps will help, possibly, depends on your space really

in the meantime, reference your music on as many different speakers as possible, headphones, car speakers, crap speakers and good ones, that will help you adjust your hearing to your rooms acoustics.

You don't really need to low pass a sine wave. A filter, especially one with resonance turned up, will effect the volume of certain notes differently around the cutoff region.

i remember reading people even go to the lengths of having a separate sub channel for each note

The question is: Is the sub there when the bass is solo? If it is, then the problem isn't the sub, its everything else. EQ EQ EQ. Mid/side eqing on everything goes a long way as well. get some of that low freq. out of the sides of all the other tracks.

Sounds like you set the filter to pump perfectly. A perfect low pass in that sweet spot of resonance, but when you play any other note, that sweet spot of renounce isn't there. Makes sense unless you automated the resonance with each note. Thats a lot of work. Try resampling it instead. Get that sweet spot, bounce it out and save it.

i remember reading people even go to the lengths of having a separate sub channel for each note

That makes a ton of sense actually. you have the troublesome kick/sub battle going on (for starters), so anything above 70/80hz would be treated differently. D1to G1 would get sidechained and low shelved perfectly, while the lower notes release right under the kick. I'm going give that a try.

The question is: Is the sub there when the bass is solo? If it is, then the problem isn't the sub, its everything else. EQ EQ EQ. Mid/side eqing on everything goes a long way as well. get some of that low freq. out of the sides of all the other tracks.

Sounds like you set the filter to pump perfectly. A perfect low pass in that sweet spot of resonance, but when you play any other note, that sweet spot of renounce isn't there. Makes sense unless you automated the resonance with each note. Thats a lot of work. Try resampling it instead. Get that sweet spot, bounce it out and save it.

That makes a ton of sense actually. you have the troublesome kick/sub battle going on (for starters), so anything above 70/80hz would be treated differently. D1to G1 would get sidechained and low shelved perfectly, while the lower notes release right under the kick. I'm going give that a try.

claude von stroke speaks about this in his pointblank masterclass. works for single notes but not sure about long portamento vibes

Back
Top Bottom