What is more reliable for identifying keys of tracks???

Samlovell

I noticed recently whilst scrolling through a friends selection that some of the exact same tracks we both own through rekordbox has denoted the keys differently?

Namely one of the tracks was Pull Me Under - Dimension, My rekordbox classifies it as C minor, his F minor??

Now I know according to the mixing in key color wheel, these keys are infact compatible,

Also I checked with BEATPORT who also display keys for tracks

Aztec - Spor (Shogun audio) on my rekordbox identifies this as B Minor

Beatport, it's A Major.... quite a lot different from B minor I'm sure you'll agreeo_O

So question is, what is more reliable? Rekordbox or beatport? :cool:

UPDATE just upgraded to rekordbox 4, mind blown pretty much every key has changed, also no F major anymore? wtf ha

Last edited:
In 2015, according to this test http://djtechtools.com/2015/11/16/key-detection-software-comparison-2015-edition/, it was Rekordbox who was better than Beatport during the test.
Mixed in key is still the best, but not perfect, for key detection.
For Aztec - Spor, Mixed in key found B minor for me, so I guess it is correct.
But at the end it doesn't matter if the key detection is not 100% accurate as long as it is consistant.

Surely it is though haha? as if infact a track is A major, to mix it in "key" in my eyes, you're either going to use the color wheel or mix it with a track that is A minor??? but then if rekordbox is registering it as for example B minor it stands to be a little confusing Key wise....

Thanks for response though dude

In 2015, according to this test http://djtechtools.com/2015/11/16/key-detection-software-comparison-2015-edition/, it was Rekordbox who was better than Beatport during the test.
Mixed in key is still the best, but not perfect, for key detection.
For Aztec - Spor, Mixed in key found B minor for me, so I guess it is correct.
But at the end it doesn't matter if the key detection is not 100% accurate as long as it is consistant.

Also I think B minor is correct just for the fact that in a friction set he mixes it with "No Problem - Chase and status" which according to rekordbox is B major, beatport claims is F sharp :\

But then again friction also mixes No Problem with Phantasm - Original Sin which is F minor :\\\\\

Back
Top Bottom