ways to give your tune an organic/atmospheric feel?

Discussion in 'Production' started by jakeshiftzw, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jakeshiftzw

jakeshiftzw Shiftz

How do professional producers give there tunes so much depth? I don't mean atmoshperic as in pads on jungle and liquid tunes etc. But even if you listen to a jump-up tune it has a sence of 'space'. I like to use whitenoise in my tune very low down in the mix hi-passed at about 4000hz and reverse sidechained with my kick and snare, but what other ways are there? I always feel like my tunes seem a bit standard and a bit basic, even when i've given the drums a lot of depth, got a nice mid bass that fills out the stereo field nicely and a sub that im happy with, there is still something missing and is lacking 'atmosphere'.

2. JReilly

JReilly Member

You might have already tried this but good panning can help.

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

lot of good ideas there, mono the tune from 100 hz on down and pay attention to the stereo eqing, that can really carve out space in a tune. x-stereo or whats it called.

4. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Reverb, Panning, a generally good mix will help :)

Also if you feel your track sounds a bit empty I find it surprising how much of a difference mastering can make!

5. Fatkidscantjump

Fatkidscantjump Member

This may be an awful tip I dont really know, but I like to put a little reverb on the master channel, like 1-5% reverb. Just a little bit, and that often make the track sounds more "full" even if its not clearly audible.

6. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

^ nah thats not a bad idea at all, makes it sound more 'live' so to speak. i do that with ozone reverb on the master, make it wide as fuck but keep it very low like you said.

7. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Not sure on the reverb thing on the master wouldn't that fuck your sub bass up?? if the wet is low spose it'll work but you might awell bus everything correctly and reverb the individual things or stick the reverb in a send and send them all there.

Another sweet trick is to put a ridiculously fat compressor on the master a really low threshold high ratio and then up the make up quite high (depends on how noisey your tune is already) but then take the mix out right down so it'll add a layer of noise to the track creating depth? ;)

8. Southern

Southern Member

Tried the mini-reverb trick on a track I was struggling with and it works a treat. Thanks guys!

9. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Stereo panning, reverb... i like using short reverbs similar to the 'dimension expander' in massive. As for an organic feel, try using string instruments and vocal samples. Try layering up some nice 'natural' drum samples too (y)

10. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

Reverb on the master is a horrible idea, especially if your sending it off to have it mastered, the engineer will be cussing you up and down...

11. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Not if highpassed. Sometimes a little reverb can squeeze the mix a bit, doesn't work on every track obviously.