ways to give your tune an organic/atmospheric feel?

jakeshiftzw

Shiftz
How do professional producers give there tunes so much depth? I don't mean atmoshperic as in pads on jungle and liquid tunes etc. But even if you listen to a jump-up tune it has a sence of 'space'. I like to use whitenoise in my tune very low down in the mix hi-passed at about 4000hz and reverse sidechained with my kick and snare, but what other ways are there? I always feel like my tunes seem a bit standard and a bit basic, even when i've given the drums a lot of depth, got a nice mid bass that fills out the stereo field nicely and a sub that im happy with, there is still something missing and is lacking 'atmosphere'.

Reverb, Panning, a generally good mix will help :)

Also if you feel your track sounds a bit empty I find it surprising how much of a difference mastering can make!

This may be an awful tip I dont really know, but I like to put a little reverb on the master channel, like 1-5% reverb. Just a little bit, and that often make the track sounds more "full" even if its not clearly audible.

^ nah thats not a bad idea at all, makes it sound more 'live' so to speak. i do that with ozone reverb on the master, make it wide as fuck but keep it very low like you said.

Not sure on the reverb thing on the master wouldn't that fuck your sub bass up?? if the wet is low spose it'll work but you might awell bus everything correctly and reverb the individual things or stick the reverb in a send and send them all there.

Another sweet trick is to put a ridiculously fat compressor on the master a really low threshold high ratio and then up the make up quite high (depends on how noisey your tune is already) but then take the mix out right down so it'll add a layer of noise to the track creating depth? ;)

Stereo panning, reverb... i like using short reverbs similar to the 'dimension expander' in massive. As for an organic feel, try using string instruments and vocal samples. Try layering up some nice 'natural' drum samples too (y)

Reverb on the master is a horrible idea, especially if your sending it off to have it mastered, the engineer will be cussing you up and down...

Back
Top Bottom