Vinyl prices

I don't know about that... Yeah it seemingly makes more sense to pay less, but in the end you aren't getting a good product. The quality of sound is not as good or as warm. There is no physical product, I hate the concept of paying for nothing but an untangible file on my pc. It also means you miss out on the artwork etc., granted most dnb artwork is shite and boring, but labels like ramp, some hyperdub shizz, skull disco bits, some numbers things have great artwork.

Plus vinyl is much more collectible and allows for greater quality control, the amount of shit that gets released via the digital format is unreal...

And for me at least, there is something oddly romantic about the concept of slowly killing your vinyl each time you put a needle down on it...

If you love something, you'll work hard, earn your p's and buy it.

I agree with some of what your saying but i think youv gota incorperate both CD's and vinyl.

Yeeh you could say the same for Vinyl. I see alot of shit music getting pressed and alot of digital releases that should go on vinyl but dont. As for artwork you do get the artwork with the download if you want it.

There's also alot of good music out atm. For me its hard to keep up so its nice to get some digital downloads aswell and still keep up to date with the vinyl collection.

As for dubs/ unreleased stuff how you guna play them without a CDJ? unless your like Andy or friction and down heathmans every other week which is £££££

CD's & vinyl FTW :)

Far too much shit released as mp3.. i filter through a fuck load of tunes to find something i like, find about 2 tunes and end up buying them on vinyl instead.. Mp3 shopping is so boring, whereas vinyl shopping is great fun

This....

Vinyl over digital anyday. Using Serato for D&B is souless, as is using a CDJ

Vinyl is the nicest format, however, I moved to traktor scratch when I was 18 and haven't/can't look back.
The reason I made the switch was due to the price of vinyl and simply not being able to afford it. I pay for my mp3's but they are so much cheaper.

less people are buying vinyl; which bumps up the cost of pressing, which then costs the labels more, which then costs the distributers more, which then forces the shops to charge more. Just to top it off the postal prices have also gone up. Im sure it will get worse as well. :mad:

I don't know about that... Yeah it seemingly makes more sense to pay less, but in the end you aren't getting a good product. The quality of sound is not as good or as warm. There is no physical product, I hate the concept of paying for nothing but an untangible file on my pc. It also means you miss out on the artwork etc., granted most dnb artwork is shite and boring, but labels like ramp, some hyperdub shizz, skull disco bits, some numbers things have great artwork.

Plus vinyl is much more collectible and allows for greater quality control, the amount of shit that gets released via the digital format is unreal...

And for me at least, there is something oddly romantic about the concept of slowly killing your vinyl each time you put a needle down on it...

Well said, agree 100%

The old vinyl v mp3 debate! Lol

MP3's are the way forward without a doubt. Cheap and don't require a spare room to store them all after 15 years of collecting!

As already stated there's plenty of shit released on vinyl, it's always been like that. I don't find shopping for MP'3 any different from when I used to buy vinyl.

easy for the guys living in UK. i love mixing on vinyl, definitely sounds alot nicer, but in perth theres not much DnB vinyl. you have to order it in. i love drum an bass, an i love mixing it, but just cannot afford vinyl. nothing wrong with CDJs.

Well i didn't really mean for this to turn into an MP3 vs Vinyl thread.

I suppose it was just to vent my frustration a bit.

I hear what you guys are saying.

For me, serato/CDJs are a no no for me atm.
At some point i will probably be buying a CDJ, that's inevitable. BARE tunes getting released on MP3 only.

But i can't just turn my back on vinyl. No matter how skint i am, i can look @ my collection and think i've spent my money well.
I don't drink, don't do drugs. So i suppose vinyl is my addiction.
Apart from smoking lol.

It's just shame that over the past year or so everything's just gone up up up up ect..

Amen to that.

there is nothing wrong with cdj's, serato, digital, etc etc, its not my opinion, its pretty much fact. thats why so many professional dj's choose to use it.

anyone that says otherwise is speaking from no experience of using this media or they are very narrow minded.

yes vinyl is ment to have a so called warmer sound but would you be able to tell the difference? highly unlikley

each media format has its pros and cons, some more sentimental reasons than others.

In all honesty its only going to get worse and worse in the long term.

I Think i'm a prime example of why. I got into dnb a few years ago, but didnt start djing til a few months ago.
I'm 19 and have a job - but i'm going to uni next year and want to be able to continue it when i'm there.

Most people i'd imagine start djing at around a similar age and if not a little earlier/later.
A fair majority of people like that won't have a huge amount of disposable income after, bills, going out etc etc - so it's economic sense to pay the cheapest price for the product (which at the end of the day is the song).
Due to my age i wasn't really listening to dnb when it was pretty much purely vinyl. So in a way i'm kind of set back from the whole idea of vinyl being the true form of the music. I imagine this is probably similar for a lot of people.
Therefore trade in vinyl will probably decrease over time, as the people getting into it will be in generally similar boats to me, whilst the older generation may change direction in their musical taste later in life..eventually leading to its decline, which will be a shame.

On a side note there are some songs i can't buy on mp3 anywhere i look. Also someone mentioned you can't play unreleased stuff on vinyl, surely it wouldnt be out digitally then as well? (or is it acceptable to have rips of unrealsed stuff to play out :s)

On a side note there are some songs i can't buy on mp3 anywhere i look. Also someone mentioned you can't play unreleased stuff on vinyl, surely it wouldnt be out digitally then as well? (or is it acceptable to have rips of unrealsed stuff to play out :s)

If you got it off the producer himself or the label, no problem imo.
If you got it off a cheeky warez site, it's a no no.

But then this leads on to the whole 'Illegal MP3 Vs legal MP3' debate, which i don't want this to turn into lol.

So we'll leave it there :)

In all honesty its only going to get worse and worse in the long term.

I Think i'm a prime example of why. I got into dnb a few years ago, but didnt start djing til a few months ago.
I'm 19 and have a job - but i'm going to uni next year and want to be able to continue it when i'm there.

I am also 19 and goin to uni in sep, that is why this year saving up and buying an absolute shitload of vinyl (and potentially maybe cdjs if I gather enough money) cos I know I won't be able to buy shit for the next 4 years lol

To be fair I'm a student an I buy baaarreee vinyl. Just means eating slightly worse on those weeks, skipping a few drinks on a night out or straight up riiinsing my overdraft.

thats what i did... plus just treat yourself to the real special ones! but to be fair i was at uni a couple of years back, CDJ's hadn't reached such popularity amongst dnb heads and vinyl was released a lot less frequently?

I have to agree with this, I've almost knocked my vinyl addiction on the head at the min because there too much I want to buy but I just cant afford it. If I do my monthly vinly shop I end up spending £40 - £100

i just baught 1 record from redeye,p&p and vat total cost £8.16!pretty shocking for 1 tune,id be on cd decks by now if i could afford them.

Back
Top Bottom