Vinyl prices

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by dnbkingz, May 13, 2010.

1. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

I don't know.

It's pissing me off.
    I remember about a year and a bit ago when i could grab two new bits + postage for just shy/on the nose of a tenner.

Now i can JUST get one + shipping for £7+.

Piss take.

I ain't flush atm, so when i grab a new bit, is generally is just the one bit.
    Last year i was tearing up Redeye, spending near on £40 each time. But hey, the money problems are mine, not the vinyl's...

Anyway, back on topic.
    I'm finding myself defecting to the evil HMV for my vinyl fix.
    Don't get me wrong, i've picked up some neat bits from my local. But i feel like i'm giving the 'scene' the finger.

'fuck you DnB! I ARE HMVZZZ BITCH!' ect...

I know getting stuff pressed is exspensive as fuck. But have prices risen that much over the past year to warrant the extra VAT you spend online?

I'm not sure about Chemical, but the last time i tried to make an order for three bits, it almost came to £20 :S

I quickly cancelled and ran off to my beloved Redeye for the same 3 bits, cost me £18 so it wasn't a huge gain in my wallet but still.

I don't know where this is going.

I suppose i'm just sad to see that it's not just fags and booze going up in price :(

2. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

Good read thanks

3. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Trololololo lololo lolooo hoohoho hahahah hahahaha trolololololololololooloololLOL

4. archive

archive Member

coool story bro :teeth:

at least your HMV sells vinyl
    the one in swindon stopped seling them because "they wernt moving off the shelf"
    teks d piss :/

5. kasra

kasra Active Member

Interesting point, when I first started buying 12" vinyl over 10 years ago it was £5 or so a copy.

Do you not think it that time prices may have gone up? Manufacturing costs have, shipping costs have.

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) vinyl is a premium product.

6. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

buddy if you want to save on expenses i suggest buying off catapult records, they do not charge any shipping costs for a soley vinyl order over £15... when i was at my buying peak for vinyl that was the website i only used andi worked out i must of saved about 40-50 quid over the space of a few months just because of catapults free shipping... hope that helps with yo money problems...

7. dnb in ya face

dnb in ya face Loud and Dirrrty

Petrol, booze, fags etc. have all gone up.

Petrol goes up = shipping costs more for the business = they charge more for the product + shipping

If its costs them more in costs they have to charge more. Im guessing even things as little as electric / water / rent bills have gone up meaning their overheads are higher.

I have a car and HAVE to use it to get to work. I spend at least £30-£40 a week in petrol. Something you just gotta deal with

8. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

i used to visit His Masters Voice, pick up what they had for cheap then to blackmarket, sister ray, unity (when it was open) music exchange etc for the rest.
    i went to ldn the other week and hmv were selling their vinyl singles for 6.99! sorry hmv i'd rather pay the same price and support an independent shop

9. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

Serato? or just CD?

I prefer mixing on vinyl, but I don't prefer it enough that I will pay about 4 times the amount of money on it.

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

11. losty

losty losty2010

Well with the popular rise of cdj I Can see load of new dj will go for cds/mp3 instead of vinyls.:|

12. djhektikz

djhektikz Active Member

13. Nick-ep

Nick-ep RudeFM/In-Reach

Digital is the way forward. Iv been saving fuuuck loads recently on downloads. Will never stop buyin vinyl but it's logic to pay £3.87 for an ep rather than £14 with shipping.

14. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Only HMV to sell vinyl is Oxford street isnt it.....
    aswell as online

15. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

defently the way forward, i just got mine.. i bought about 14 tracks for 20 quid the other day, i checked out how much that would of cost if i was buying vinyl and it came to about £85, just shows the benefits of digital

16. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

yeah i think so, they used to sell vinyl in the hmv further down near marble arch but they stopped that a few years ago, dunno what their online prices are like to be fair.

17. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i was an avid vinyl fan... my buddy who i do radio with got some CDJ's and now i'm well and truly converted!

bought around 40 tunes over the last couple of months, including some no longer available ones and it cost fuck all! still going to buy the bigness on vinyl, cos i still love the whole vinyl thing... but those tunes you um and ahh about i just get digi now!

18. bluenote

bluenote Member

I don't know about that... Yeah it seemingly makes more sense to pay less, but in the end you aren't getting a good product. The quality of sound is not as good or as warm. There is no physical product, I hate the concept of paying for nothing but an untangible file on my pc. It also means you miss out on the artwork etc., granted most dnb artwork is shite and boring, but labels like ramp, some hyperdub shizz, skull disco bits, some numbers things have great artwork.

Plus vinyl is much more collectible and allows for greater quality control, the amount of shit that gets released via the digital format is unreal...

And for me at least, there is something oddly romantic about the concept of slowly killing your vinyl each time you put a needle down on it...

If you love something, you'll work hard, earn your p's and buy it.

19. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

Gotta keep it old skool, I only buy a couple tracks at a time, and cherish the ones I do buy. If I bout 14 tracks at a time, half of them would not get the love the require

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Agree

20. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Far too much shit released as mp3.. i filter through a fuck load of tunes to find something i like, find about 2 tunes and end up buying them on vinyl instead.. Mp3 shopping is so boring, whereas vinyl shopping is great fun