DnB The Unfortunate

Kick needs a bit more of a cleaner EQ the top end of it is coming through a little too much! Intro needs an element in the background to give it more flavour like a Pad or dark atmospheric element. I like the idea of having the bass slightly creep in but it came in too soon I'd say make the intro twice as long and b ring the creeping bassline in towards the end with a riser and maybe a kick build up aswell (Neuro style) Hats are very minimal and for this type of tune you're going through deffinitely need more of an impact and presence to carry the drums along for the ride. Snare in my opinion is too splashy I'd use something clean with a small amount of decay like a very finely EQ'D rim shot (very snappy) you could always layer it with a break and cut the bottom out completely so just the highs add to filling them up. Mid bass I'm a little on the fence with (Sound a touch too jump upy for me but that's personal preference) I'd maybe remove the high (WAH WAH) and keep the moody sub/mid layer you have and use that as the main groover.

Has a lot of potential just needs higher impact drums with a lot more energy / a stronger build up and drop / A background element like a pad or something to give it more flavour.

This is all personal preference and I'm no expert! Can see this becoming a very nice dark roller if messed with!

Kick needs a bit more of a cleaner EQ the top end of it is coming through a little too much! Intro needs an element in the background to give it more flavour like a Pad or dark atmospheric element. I like the idea of having the bass slightly creep in but it came in too soon I'd say make the intro twice as long and b ring the creeping bassline in towards the end with a riser and maybe a kick build up aswell (Neuro style) Hats are very minimal and for this type of tune you're going through deffinitely need more of an impact and presence to carry the drums along for the ride. Snare in my opinion is too splashy I'd use something clean with a small amount of decay like a very finely EQ'D rim shot (very snappy) you could always layer it with a break and cut the bottom out completely so just the highs add to filling them up. Mid bass I'm a little on the fence with (Sound a touch too jump upy for me but that's personal preference) I'd maybe remove the high (WAH WAH) and keep the moody sub/mid layer you have and use that as the main groover.

Has a lot of potential just needs higher impact drums with a lot more energy / a stronger build up and drop / A background element like a pad or something to give it more flavour.

This is all personal preference and I'm no expert! Can see this becoming a very nice dark roller if messed with!

Hey man!

Thanks so much for the feedback; it's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for and I've actually already addressed a couple of the issues you mentioned as I replaced the mid bass with a deeper sub with the mids eq'd in a bit more and replaced the snare with a cleaner, higher one. I appreciate the feedback heaps! I've worked quite a bit on the hats but have little to no confidence in working with crashes/open hats in a faster break like this, any tips?

The one in the original post has been updated to the new version and I will continue to work on this, so any feedback anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom