The Most Valuable Music Theory Terms

Different perspectives, I know, and won't hurt knowing these things, but I think you are overthinking it. Guys like BB King, SRV knew the penantonic, probably the major as well, but based on practice, not reading up. If you feel your tune is not worthy unless you have the proper knowlegde of scales, I must disappoint you; imagination is still required. And if you are like me, you'll need to get it in your hands before you can pick it up anyway.

Nothing requires anything but your determination and will to do it.
Within reason. Don't jump off a cliff.

Different perspectives, I know, and won't hurt knowing these things, but I think you are overthinking it. Guys like BB King, SRV knew the penantonic, probably the major as well, but based on practice, not reading up.
They also knew about the blues scale, especially about that one. And more the minor than the major. And a lot of other shit, like chord progressions. All from practice, but they knew it.

See, it's like stories. You can tell beautiful stories without being able to read or write, but some knowledge of grammar surely helps you get the idea in your head translated to a fine story. Knowing your theory isn't necessary to make good tunes. But it definitely speeds up the process when you know what you're doing and what possibilities work.

But as you said, to translate an idea in your head to a good tune, you also need an idea. Theory alone will get you nowhere.

They also knew about the blues scale, especially about that one. And more the minor than the major. And a lot of other shit, like chord progressions. All from practice, but they knew it.

See, it's like stories. You can tell beautiful stories without being able to read or write, but some knowledge of grammar surely helps you get the idea in your head translated to a fine story. Knowing your theory isn't necessary to make good tunes. But it definitely speeds up the process when you know what you're doing and what possibilities work.

But as you said, to translate an idea in your head to a good tune, you also need an idea. Theory alone will get you nowhere.

Whops, yeah, actually meant the blues scale, not the pentatonic, although they are pretty much alike. And you are very right, it is very usable for it's given applications.

But as a guitar player, I never took lessons, never learned chord progressions, but pretty much learned on the go, maybe that was more what I meant; theory should accompany the music, and not the other way around. I learned about the use of the major scale pretty much through songs like "Lenny" and "Yellow Ledbetter". I later learned music notation and scales of interest, but must admit I never used it for much. I had it in the fingers.

Not that I can ever take anything away from music notation and scales, they have been here for longer than anyone could probably date it back to, but if are you new to music production, the first tool you should learn is your DAW - that having it in your hands is primus, and will help you visualize the problem you'd encounter in the process, such as chord progression (Because, who does not use cheesy piano riffs in their tunes? :teeth: :slayer:).

Different perspectives, I know, and won't hurt knowing these things, but I think you are overthinking it. Guys like BB King, SRV knew the penantonic, probably the major as well, but based on practice, not reading up. If you feel your tune is not worthy unless you have the proper knowlegde of scales, I must disappoint you; imagination is still required. And if you are like me, you'll need to get it in your hands before you can pick it up anyway.

BB King (and Lucille) is still alive and kicking, don't write him off yet. :)

You're either producing EDM, or DnB, can't be both! Haha! :)

:) Yeah I hear ya. Thats funny. However, I believe Drum and Bass to be the next phase of evolution in dance music.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree, as stated in OP. Im just saying, without the extra help in Music Theory, one will probably just be banging on a drum. It may sound good as well as have a little rhythm, but it will not be a masterpiece of music.

:) Yeah I hear ya. Thats funny. However, I believe Drum and Bass to be the next phase of evolution in dance music.
I don't know on which planet you've been living the past 15 years, but "next phase" isn't exactly what comes to mind when thinking about Drum 'n Bass :)

I don't know on which planet you've been living the past 15 years, but "next phase" isn't exactly what comes to mind when thinking about Drum 'n Bass :)

When I think of where "you" ... "should" be....a DNB forum doesnt exactly come to mind...lol

It's a good idea to know as much as you can about all aspects of music. The most important stuff is the stuff you actually use to make music. Music theory makes it easier to control the outcome of your efforts but it depends on how your mind works. If you are more right brained you might not use it as much and just do what sounds right. That said, holes in your understanding can make a lot of extra work that could be avoided by educating yourself. If you need to do something and you don't quite understand the concepts, research them.

Back
Top Bottom