The Facebook "likes" For free tracks debate thread

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
What are your thoughts on this subject?

To me, I really dont see the point of all these "Free track after X amount of likes" posts.......The artist is obviously willing to give away the track anyway, so why wait until so many people have liked it? Other than to get a small Ego boost, or an enlarged e-penis?

I understand alot of people will say it's to get their name out there more, but surely just throwing it up for free DL right off the bat, and posting links to it on various different networking sites would be more beneficial to getting your name out there?

This is a real bug bare of mine, I can see no point to this at all apart from what I have already stated, getting an ego boost. I'm not trying to start a war here with anyone who does this, I'm posting this because I would like to hear some legitimate reasons from people who do this, as to why they do it.....and what benefits it has?

erm, pretty basic marketing initiative to be honest.

they'll entice you to share their shit, so more people 'like' them, thus more coverage for them, in return, we get free tunes, and they sell more tunes, i have no beef with it.

apart from when noisia made me invite all my friends so i could get my hands on the shit they did for the motorstorm soundtrack which turned out to be all wank.

But they intend on giving it away for free anyway? And surely by just upping it somewhere, and spamming the links to it all over various sites, it would have the same affect?

I've never done this but I imagine it's nice to see some confirmation that people actually want the stuff you put online. Only really bothers me when pretentious, bad artists do this sort of thing. Rrrreally gets under my skin. If you want to promote yourself so blatantly, put in the work aswell.

hm. It would be more beneficial to be able to download the track when you like the page, thats what i've been seeing people do. I can see the point of doing things like that because they will get your name popping up on their news feed as a reminder of that you exist. Tho I still think its just a lame trick to get people who doesn't really care that much about you to just give you a like anyways. But business is business I guess, what do I know.

I don't know. On one hand I can not help but agree that Mr. Fletch is right. Even if it is a producer I like. If I have to get on face book and press like to listen, Fuck em. Fackbook sucks. I don't use it nor will I. On the other hand I am sure it works, when you get to certain level of notoriety. For now I am happy to share my music with you guys on the drum and bass forum. Sure I might not get famous but that is not my intention. I rather ape cat or any one eles here tell me honestly he likes one of my songs than a thousand people tell me they "like button" my music because they saw it on facebook and listen for three seconds.
Same with listening to peoples music. When I used to D.J. I would spend hours going through professional quality music just to find a few tracks I would spin. Now I spend hours going thorough non-professional quality music and find all sorts of gems. Some of them could use a bit of polish. But good tracks non the less.
An example of this is the Groelle and Bad Ace remixes of the All I know track. I listen to all the top ones and non- of em where as good as these two. The where good, but not as good. What those guys had was advertising power and now one of them is going to win because of it.
Another thing I remember Kama once writing on the forum was about getting out there and playing out. I am paraphrasing but I think he said something along the lines of who you think the record lable is going to sign. The guy who just tore up the dance floor or the guy who has te thousand sound cloud followers? And I am pretty sure his answer was the guy tearing up the dance floor.
So in conclusion I still just don't know. Face book sucks. Having people like you sucks. But is it a nessisary evil? Maybe.

After doing this twice on two separate fb pages ('Like' to gain access) I can safely say from experience, its a shit idea. Unless you have a strong following already, there's not much point, it will only get the ppl you already have to share your music and get them to attract more followers.

The best way to marketing your own music at the moment is Youtube. As we, after uploading some tracks to youtube done a free giveaway and overnight saw results. Saying that we pulled in a massive amount of ppl but the majority of them were snatch and runs.

In essence after doing it on fb, its not a good move at all.
Its a cache 22 thing though some ppl pull it off and they get bookings and remix work out of it sometimes it just doesn't do as well. Especially now with the whole pay to promote and only a limited amount of ppl can see your post.....

To be honest, there's no key way to getting fans, regardless if your tunes are great or not. If you cant get them out to the right ppl then you will not gain a following. Plenty of ppl make decent tracks and barely have any fans/deserve way more. And on the opposite scale, many ppl are shit and have a way too many fans..... :|

I think people see it as a more safe choice as opposed to just giving the tune out for free in the hope their name gets spread around.

I don't mind it so long as I'm not prompted to install a shit 3rd party Facebook App after hitting the like button. I fell into that trap with a rather big named producer and soon discovered the App spammed the shit out of my friends. However, after contacting said producer directly to let him know what happened the App requirement was later taken down.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom