Multi Genre The death of the skilled DJ.

G creative if you were on CD's...once its locked its locked, & then you can focus all your attention on your mixer for cuts, switches and EQ work.

Even more easier potentially for some Laptop DJ's. While I will be there for example attempting to cue tunes quickly 16 bars before the drop...Mr Laptop DJ might have all of his tunes lined up, cued and ready to go...

for CDj's, nah unfortunetly not, although 1000's can pretty much hold the track in time, they are still not as accurate or steady spinning as Vinyl. that said, Cue points make all the diffrence

laptop dj's imo should not be just mixing 2 tracks together, not that it bothers me much tbh, i just feel they are letting themselves down by not using the laptop to its full potential

for CDj's, nah unfortunetly not, although 1000's can pretty much hold the track in time, they are still not as accurate or steady spinning as Vinyl. that said, Cue points make all the diffrence

laptop dj's imo should not be just mixing 2 tracks together, not that it bothers me much tbh, i just feel they are letting themselves down by not using the laptop to its full potential

cd's a digital signal though so it doesn't drift as much as vinyl which is an analogue signal though ?

cd's a digital signal though so it doesn't drift as much as vinyl which is an analogue signal though ?

nah, other way around, vinyl provides infinite accuracy, CDj's offer 0.1-0.001% accuracy; more than enough for any one, but still less accurate than analog

its not the signal that defines the accuracy, its the motor, and the pitch fader and clock which controls it (digital in CD, analog on 1210's)

Last edited:
I always found that vinyl had a warmer more rounded out sound. Even when converted into digital freq.
Cdjs intimidate me. I have never used them and really dont know how. There is a comforting feeling about the sensual touch of a spinning technique to slow or speed up the record ever so gently into place. The look of a record that lets you know how to line it up with the one playing so you can bring in a double drop and know how to cut the fader, even if you don't know the song. The ability to improvise a mix is just wonderful with vinyl. The romantic feeling you are playing the most contemporary music on the world oldest format. I still miss and have actual dreams on a weekly basses about spinning my vinyl and mixing the tunes I used to mix. I guess I am just getting nostalgic.
As far as mixing goes. Even professional dj piss me off. Music is written in keys. You can not have often the key of d playing with the key of am. But if you have the key of d that is playing at 174 tempo and you have track at 173 tempo in the key of am it will work. This kind of basic music literacy is often over looked. (Although I hear that the new cdjs and mixers auto correct this.)
I also think the mark of a good dj is being able to play two or three songs "seamlessly" together for a long time inventing a new song of sorts. Not just playing one song to the break down, then switch.
Drum and bass djs should all have the juggle skills also. The ablity to play at least two songs and switch between them multiple times(Seamlessly) in a bar. So the djs hand is all over the place but the track sounds consistent in nature and the normal crowed is oblivious to the fact that the dj has just created a mash up of sorts.
Also being able to eq while djing is important. You can create, make, and BLEND in thousands of different ways by using your eqs. Clashing frequencies sound like shit. To often I hear mixes with both basses on or both mid rages on. It is annoying and djs should be smacked for doing it.
Turtabelist are awesome.
Also before I dropped out of college. My english professor always said,"Know your audience." A good dj does that.(See what I did there)
Most important of all a DJ(non-producer) choose the right track and play it for the right time. (And that can me a lot)
In conclusion a good DJ is dynamic, aware of social situation, professional musician, and an artist.
Sorry for the rambling.

Learning to beat-match on vinyl takes longer, which I think helps you to learn timing, and to understand track structures. I also find the physical manipulation of vinyl to be a lot more enjoyable than using CDJs, although the modern jog-wheels are pretty good.

Vinyl is less forgiving, so it helps to develop your sensitive touch on the decks. I am one of those sad cunts who like to know what format a DJ is using, and although I understand everyone is on the digital/CDs nowadays, I still love to see vinyl.

DJs have always been gatekeepers of taste, and most DJs like that aspect of it, whether they admit it or not. The cost of vinyl was a traditional barrier to stop try-hards - if you were willing to spend hard-earned on vinyl it showed you weren't lightweight about DJing. Cheap/free music has ended that I guess; not necessarily a bad thing (more music is good), but it sure lowers the bar to entry.

Fairly unstructured thoughts, and I can't really answer the question .... ah well.

In my opinion this is what makes a skilled dj:
- great tune selection
- building a good structure in the set
- Double drops that sound amazing
- the use of mutliple decks
- using some form of live performance during the set
- NO BACKSPINS
- and using tunes that don't sound out of tune to each other

I really appreciate a dj playing with vinyl, but all the above points mentoined above are more important to me.

and usually living off an unplanned overdraft :teeth:

just managed to get out mine.. then went and spent 80 quid on tunes... needless to say im brass again! the worst is when u email a sop or something asking for tunes to be put aside to for you, i did this alot with WSrcrds.. then when the end of the month comes u forget and feel to bad to not buy them!

just managed to get out mine.. then went and spent 80 quid on tunes... needless to say im brass again! the worst is when u email a sop or something asking for tunes to be put aside to for you, i did this alot with WSrcrds.. then when the end of the month comes u forget and feel to bad to not buy them!

yeh i read youve got yourself out of debt, good job man im on the payback road now seems like a never ending slog. Ive only ever mixed on cdjs im kinda scared to buy a deck prob cost me a fortune in vinyl n not sure if it'll just click or it'll take a while to learn to mix on a 1210.

yeh i read youve got yourself out of debt, good job man im on the payback road now seems like a never ending slog. Ive only ever mixed on cdjs im kinda scared to buy a deck prob cost me a fortune in vinyl n not sure if it'll just click or it'll take a while to learn to mix on a 1210.

cheers man, mate i couldnt mix for shit when i first started, if u got a passion for it and enough patience it will come mate. If you mix on CDJ's you will take to Vinyl quickly i reckon, its just getting used to the feel of the platter/pitch on a 1210, but there solid as fuck mate

See this debate is one that is down to personal opinion.

I used to mix on vinyl, Learned how to beat match on Belt Drives!! Insanely difficult. That said i now use a Mac with Traktor and there F1 remix controllers (still getting to grips with them)

What i dont like is how people say as your using software that can beat match for you your letting yourself down!! Thats bull!

I use the software because for one its cheaper, i only play out for private functions or friends, my tunes stay organised and im not left with loads of vinyl out of the sleeves because ive been going at it like a mad man! It would be good to run Traktor through some 1210's but i sold my 1210's years ago (for reasons beyond my control) So would you go and buy another set of 1210's or would you go an get a dj controller for £150?

People may cuss people for using laptops etc, but why should some people who have gone down that route who can actually mix on vinyl and invested thousands before do it all again if there is a cheaper alternative? I still have to lock my sounds, Traktor certanly has trouble locking DnB just by using a sync button!!

A good DJ is someone who knows his tunes, knows the basics of a mix, knows how to change the tempo of the mix but keep it fluent. A good DJ is someone who is creative with there mixes, doesnt follow other DJs trends (i used to have a mate who constantly did mampi swift mixes!! Its not about double drops, its about knowing when to mix your tune!

A Good DJ is someone who doesnt plan his set in advance, who can just start mixing and piece together loads of randomness and make it sound good!!

A good DJ doesnt have to be able to scratch, or fit 6000 tunes in to a 30min mix.

One thing i do hate about laptop mixers is people who use the keylock button! Seriously if you need to lock the key becuase its sounding out of pitch them track were not meant to go together!

My beefs not with people who dont mix "properly", its with people who cant mix, bash sync, and then expect everyone to bow down to them. And what pisses me off more is, general listeners wont know what has been done, so they suck it up, leaving the people who have worked to develop skill thinking "what the fuck?".

Im not sure.

I definately have more respect for people who mix vinyl or on a dvs, because i can appreciate a decent mix on them takes a certain level of skill etc.

If i had the choice of seeing a dj lay down a perfectly mixed set using a midi controller and syc button or someone playing vinyl or dvs but theyre mixes were a little off, the second choice would win every time. Id rather see a shaky mix that has effort put into it than a sick mix that the dj has done next to nothing to accomplish.

EvenStash, You say "a good dj" a lot. To me someone who dj's and someone who mixes are two entirely different things.

Last edited:
My beefs not with people who dont mix "properly", its with people who cant mix, bash sync, and then expect everyone to bow down to them. And what pisses me off more is, general listeners wont know what has been done, so they suck it up, leaving the people who have worked to develop skill thinking "what the fuck?".

Im not sure.

I definately have more respect for people who mix vinyl or on a dvs, because i can appreciate a decent mix on them takes a certain level of skill etc.

If i had the choice of seeing a dj lay down a perfectly mixed set using a midi controller and syc button or someone playing vinyl or dvs but theyre mixes were a little off, the second choice would win every time. Id rather see a shaky mix that has effort put into it than a sick mix that the dj has done next to nothing to accomplish.

EvenStash, You say "a good dj" a lot. To me someone who dj's and someone who mixes are two entirely different things.

I agree. Like that pesky 0.6 rule on cdjs. It CHEATING

Mate no offense but to put people in a bracket because of what they use to create what they want to create is small minded. I put 15 years hard work in to what i do, i learned the hard way, but now i have found a way that suits me more, its quicker, easier and i have more control, it doesnt make me less skilled, and it doesnt mean i put less effort in. Id like to see anyone just press sync on every tune in Traktor with Dnb and get a crisp set. You cant do it. You still need your skills you used when you mixed with vinyl.

I agree people who use virtual dj and do nothing to get a set is not on but just because other people use a dj controller it makes them no less skilled then the next man. Its just that they have moved with the technology to suit them.

Take Dj BIlly Bunter for example. Hes a leg-end, Smashed the dance scene for years. But now he uses Traktor and a Dj controller at every gig because it suits him better. WOuld you say hes put less effort in to his music?

Everyone is entitled to there opinion i respect that but at the same time i wouldnt judge someones mix on what they use.

And as for me using the term DJ a lot. Thats because i see everyone who can crete a mix or even a playlist as DJ! People think the term DJ is just for people who can beat match! Its Bull! Heres the Wikipedia reference to DJ just to clear why i used that term a lot!!

A disc jockey, also known as DJ, is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience. Originally, "disc" (sometimes spelled "disk", although this is now uncommon) referred to phonograph records, not the later Compact Discs. Today, the term includes all forms of music playback, no matter the medium.

I just think people should stop being narrow minded and move with the times!

Mate no offense but to put people in a bracket because of what they use to create what they want to create is small minded. I put 15 years hard work in to what i do, i learned the hard way, but now i have found a way that suits me more, its quicker, easier and i have more control, it doesnt make me less skilled, and it doesnt mean i put less effort in.

I agree, i still respect you less than when you were spinning vinyl though.

I agree people who use virtual dj and do nothing to get a set is not on but just because other people use a dj controller it makes them no less skilled then the next man. Its just that they have moved with the technology to suit them.

Just because somethings "newer" doesnt make it "better".

Take Dj BIlly Bunter for example. Hes a leg-end, Smashed the dance scene for years. But now he uses Traktor and a Dj controller at every gig because it suits him better. WOuld you say hes put less effort in to his music?

Thats exactly what id say :/. How can you not agree??
The whole point of these things is to make it EASIER, requiring less EFFORT, thus meaning he puts LESS EFFORT into his sets.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion i respect that but at the same time i wouldnt judge someones mix on what they use.

I would most definately judge them on it. I dont feel they deserve anywhere near the respect of the turntablists.

Heres the Wikipedia reference to DJ just to clear why i used that term a lot!!

A disc jockey, also known as DJ, is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience. Originally, "disc" (sometimes spelled "disk", although this is now uncommon) referred to phonograph records, not the later Compact Discs. Today, the term includes all forms of music playback, no matter the medium.

Well youve hit me with wikipedia. You clearly win this one =P

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dedbult again.

Just because somethings "newer" doesnt make it "better".

I would most definately judge them on it. I dont feel they deserve anywhere near the respect of the turntablists.

Well youve hit me with wikipedia. You clearly win this one =P

QFT.

Im not giving it to know one! And im not trying to win an argument, im just putting my opinion across. Im also not trying to gain or harm anyones reputation, i just dont agree with whats been said. I still put in as much work to my music as the next man does!

Back
Top Bottom