Sylenth1: Is it worth it?

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Today I'll be receiving a nice refund from Cakewalk because their OSX port of Z3tA+2 has not played nice with me system since I purchased it. It was going to be my last soft synth purchase for awhile, but now that I'm getting that money back, I'm debating on picking up Sylenth1.

I enjoyed the limited demo and have read rave reviews, but am somewhat turned off by the fact that the last update was 2010, there's still no OSX 64bit support and Lennar's website seems a bit...abandoned.

Having said that, is it worth plunking down the cash for or is there another soft synth with comparable? Or, should I invest in another instrument plug-in such as Alchemy, impOSCar, etc.?

Anxious to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.

It's got a super clean sound, i've never used it at all though. Probably because I can make the same sounds quicker in other synths, but that's just me.

I use Sylenth in all my tunes, has some serious ass potential! Dont know about the other synths you mentioned tho :/

Interesting replies, I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm definitely going back & forth between Sylenth1 & Alchemy...decisions decisions. :)

Cheers.

Alchemy is more advanced, lets you do granular synthesis. Depends on what sounds you want to make I guess.

Predator. Rob papen is releasing a synthesis masterclass dvd within the next 2 months and he mentioned on his forum that he demonstrates a lot with predator.

sylenth is cool too though.

I read an interview with DJ Fresh saying he uses Sylenth1, apparently its the closest to analog sound you can get from a soft synth.

Netsky is a big fan of Sylenth1 aswell, apparently. I use it quite a bit aswell, has some great potential towards sounds you're really looking for.

I mainly use zebra 2 sylenth and massive at the moment for synthesis.
I still use massive more often than not because its so simple to make ideal sounds.
The thing I've found with sylenth is that the presets are great, the saw and square and sawtooth wavetables are great sounding but when it comes down to making unique sounds sylenth doesnt cut it for me, I also find the modulation options with sylenth to be quite limited and even the filters dont seem to include a notch setting? wtf.
If you havn't tried Zebra before I would suggest giving that one a go- I truly believe it is the synth of the future- modulation options are great, and there are shitloads of unique sounding filters with drives and special fx options- plus you can draw your own wavetables- so much more scope for unique sound design than sylenth

If I'm not mistaken, lostnthesound already has Predator?

Indeed sir. :) Always love predator, and Rob is always updated it with quality updates (i.e. increased CPU performance, improved quality, etc.)

I have been reading a bit more into Zebra, as I LOVE U-he Diva.

I did take note that Alchemy is on sale...I like how versatile it is as a whole, and the interface seems to be quite nice. I'm also a fan of the fact that they have created an app for the iPad that let's the iPad act as a control surface.

I think I will hit up ArtFX for a bit more incite. Thanks again for your thoughts everyone.

UPDATE
After experimenting for hours with both Alchemy & Sylenth1, I opted to go with Sylenth1. That's not to say Alchemy isn't a great piece of kit–it most certainly is that! Will definitely keep an eye out for perhaps a Black Friday or X-Mas discount sale...

However, there's something extremely satisfying about Sylenth1...maybe it's the easy routing or instant satisfaction from simply dialing/tweaking a few knobs...I'm also a HUGE fan of the absurdly low CPU tax and insanely upfront arpeggator. How Lennar has managed to keep such low levels with a patch containing multi-voices/polyphony, etc. so light on CPU is beyond reasoning.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I greatly value your opinions.

Cheers.

Fair shout there fella. Looking forward to hearing what you guys create with it!

Thanks kindly Fletch! It's so easy to dial up a nasty sound in Sylenth1, it almost feels like cheating!

You were spot on with regards to Alchemy as well. Such a HUGE synth with unlimited sonic potential. We'll definitely pick up in the future, as we want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. :)

Cheers man.

Back
Top Bottom