Sylenth1: Is it worth it?

iZotope Iris and Stutter Edit also look interesting. Harmour looks a lot like Iris (or the other way around, not sure on the chonology!)

How does Sylenth1 compare to Diva?

Good question!

I've had Sylenth1 for a few days now but have logged quite a few hours experimenting with it.

Sylenth1 is fairly simple/straight-forward to use and creating your own patches (or tweaking presets) can be done quickly with satisfying results. I like the centered "LED" that displays the values of the parameters you're editing as well as other information (ex. arppegiator, FX, etc.). One thing the really stands out is the extremely light CPU hit. Even patches with multiple voices, polyphony, FX etc. barely hit the 15% CPU mark in Logic. Even though I'm using the OSX AU 32-bit version (more on that later) in a 64-bit environment (Logic), there has been no crashes, slowdowns, etc.

Where Sylenth1 is lacking a bit, technically speaking, is 64-bit OSX compatibility. Despite this minor issue, it's extremely stable and I find that I can call upon Sylenth1 presets when I'm looking for a certain type of sound. Once I find said sound, I start to tweak and adjust parameters/routing in order to fit into the mix of the tune–as well as add my own flavor to it. Even when creating a sound from scratch, obtaining a satisfying result happens surprisingly fast. I've read comments that the Sylenth1 timbre (specifically via filters) can become a bit "boring" in that they seem to shape sounds in a similar manner. I can't comment on that because my ears are still fresh when experimenting with Sylenth1 (and it's filters). I'd imagine that this could be countered via resampling or channel FX inserts...but I digress.

The other issue I have is the severe lack of updates for the synth. I believe the last update was early 2010, and Lennar is very hush hush when it comes to news about future plans, updates, etc. He has responded quickly to a slight tech issue I had. But, as he has stated on the kvr forum, he will not respond to questions about 64bit OSX compatibility, when the next update is coming, will there be a Sylenth2, etc. I can certainly respect his desire to keep things close to the vest...but throwing out a little bone every now and then would certainly ease the minds of many a Sylenth1 user.

Diva is amazing in that it has a certain unique "warmth" to the sound. I really can't describe it otherwise and would encourage you to download a demo to see what I mean. You can also swap out the OSC section with four different models. The (circuit simulated) filter section and volume envelope section can also be swapped out with 4 and 3 different types, respectively. This offers a TON of flexibility with regards creating unique sounds by mixing and matching the different core sections of the synth.

Diva, however, is a CPU eating beast. You'll get to know the quality/offline bounce area very well as certain combinations of OSC/Filter/Env with multiple voices will devour your CPU like a fat kid devours cake. Diva has crashed on me a couple times–but not enough to make me throw a shit fit. The lack of a true arpeggiator is also a bit of letdown...but Diva is still in her infancy (current version is only 1.1.1) and URS has many plans for her future...and is always open to user feedback. As far as I'm concerned, the sheer quality of sound the synth is capable of is worth the CPU hit.

So if you're in the market for a new synth, think of this:

Purchase Diva if:
  • You're looking for the closest software based instrument capable of truly emulating that sought after analog warmth/thickness.
  • You love the sound/features from synths such as Moog, Roland Alpha Juno, Oberheim Matrix 1000.
  • You've dreamed of creating a synth that was made up of specific components of the previously mentioned synths.
  • You want to buy a hardware synth but don't want to spend the cash.
  • You've tried the demo and know your CPU can handle the load.
Purchase Sylenth1 if:
  • You're looking for instant satisfaction via presets/tweaking.
  • You're just learning about synth programming.
  • You need a great sounding synth that doesn't tax your computer.
  • You enjoy the trance-esque keys/arps & thick lead/mid bass sounds from the likes of Netsky, Fred V., Danny Byrd.
  • You don't mind having a 32bit plugin (OSX only, PC is 64bit)

Please keep in mind this is based off a very quick synopsis. I would urge you to get the demos for both synths and purchase the one you feel is right for you.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom