Sylenth1 and other classic synths

Elzerk

00111100 00110011
VIP Junglist
I loaded up a demo of sylenth1, it's unbelievable for bass sounds. It's classic, waveforms are clean and sharp, I have used massive and a lot of similar modern synths and regret I found about this one so late. Seems like new modern synths are mad at creating good sound effects, atmospheres and such, maybe I have wrong approach on some of them, but these classic type synths that come close to their analog counterparts seem to deliver the best and cleanest bass. Those modern synths have sucked my creativity and will to produce away.

So if anyone has more knowledge or wanna share some of these "analogy" "classic" synthesizers, and, or effects, please name so I can give them a try too.

Wish I had resources to buy more analog hardware, maybe I'll get my "make own filterbank" project on the run someday.

I was seriously amazed at the sylenth's filters. The bandpass sounded actually like a bandpass and it had a bit vowel feel to the sound, simply genius, the pitchbend was really great too, it wasn't like in modern synths ,like alchemy, which pitchbend I personally hate, it makes everything sound the same like a .. hollow plasticy shit.

Weird how one synth gives me so much motivation.

Yeah I also caught on to Sylenth a little late too, Massive has been the pinnacle of bass sounds for us but Sylenth is just soo heavy!
I first thought it was only good at making stabs and pads like housey stuff, then I started making disgusting warpy basslines, its a really good synth, and im just sick to death of Massive and will continue to use this in place of it!

Try out fm8 if you havent already, thats a pretty clean sounding synth, the filters are really good on it also, and you can modulate waves with other waves etc its a really clever/deep vst!

I have used massive and a lot of similar modern synths and regret I found about this one so late. Those modern synths have sucked my creativity and will to produce away.

This seems to be the same for me, massive is the only synth i have though, and now im reaching a point with it where everything i manage to make sounds pretty similar, thats half decent anyways. Otherwise it just sounds like shit, i try new things and try being creative with it but just ends up sounding awful, so i change it and ends up sounding like every other patch ive made haha!

While on this subject is there any good free soft synths out there, similar to this sylenth, which i assume u gota pay for. I hear TAL noisemaker is a good free one, any others?

3xOSC if you use FL Studio, always underrated

okay after messing around with Sylenth for about an hour im blown away, this is some potent shit

Last edited:
I just teamed up with Lennar Digital and they've sponsored me Sylenth1 for my tutorial videos.. Ahww feels good having friends here in Holland.. :) No really Fletch.. The plugin is absolutely great, it has a very warm sound and it can produce very diverse sounds. Definitely worth the money.

Zebra seems very complicated, the filters and distortion tho are pure electricity! Takes some time to get used to but hey all I have is time to experiment with it.

i searched about sylenth1 before on the net and someone said along with it and Dune they found no need more their virus..... this makes me wonder is hardware really needed? or is it just a nice luxury? I realise the sound wont be exactly the same maybe not quite as good but would you say it is worth splashing out on a virus or hardware synth when there's so many virtual synth choices?

I will have the money for a virus come september when i sell my car,... do i take the plunge?

i searched about sylenth1 before on the net and someone said along with it and Dune they found no need more their virus..... this makes me wonder is hardware really needed? or is it just a nice luxury? I realise the sound wont be exactly the same maybe not quite as good but would you say it is worth splashing out on a virus or hardware synth when there's so many virtual synth choices?

I will have the money for a virus come september when i sell my car,... do i take the plunge?

All depends on how you would prefer making tunes, and the sound difference is massive!
If you prefer drawing and automating and don't really hear any difference then stick to vsts, but hardware is where its at. The quality and texture of sounds cant be mimicked by vsts and its a shit lot more creative to fuck around with knobs (full homo) rather than drawing shit in.
But each to their own, I guess?
I still use vsts, but if i could make the switch to hardware i think i would prefer it!

All depends on how you would prefer making tunes, and the sound difference is massive!
If you prefer drawing and automating and don't really hear any difference then stick to vsts, but hardware is where its at. The quality and texture of sounds cant be mimicked by vsts and its a shit lot more creative to fuck around with knobs (full homo) rather than drawing shit in.
But each to their own, I guess?
I still use vsts, but if i could make the switch to hardware i think i would prefer it!

hahah yeah physical knobs over ones on the computer screen anyday!
I guess it's hard to say until you try one out.... would be nice to have that warm/dirty analog sound, without the need of automation etc, and doing it live instead!

Anyone here had a play with or own a Snow? sorry to derail the topic slightly... but does the snow have enough processing power for what I'm going ot need for basslines?

.... this makes me wonder is hardware really needed?
Well, think of it this way... look at an iPad or android tablet.. is a keyboard really needed? No, but do you want to sit down and write a novel using one? fuck no.

I realise the sound wont be exactly the same maybe not quite as good but would you say it is worth splashing out on a virus or hardware synth when there's so many virtual synth choices?
Software often sounds just as good (VA's are a CPU running software algorithms anyway), and software is often not limited by polyphony, modulation options, and especially menus and graphical interfaces. Displays on hardware synths are expensive and rare. However, softsynths have pictures of knobs. Ask yourself, do you want to twist knobs, or do you wnt to click on pictures of them with your mouse?[/quote]

Do you have any other gear? Hardware really starts to take off when you have a good mixer and an fx rack. It's not about what sounds better, it's about how you wire up your studio and how you grab stuff with your hands and if you like having the lights down low and hundreds of blinking, pulsating LEDs everywhere. If you find yoruself lost in soundcard device preferences and DAW sampling rates and especially midi controller mappings and routing issues, then absolutely go for hardware.... if you are curious, a used virus B or C is a bloody great place to start. Research and ask yourself if you really need the TI stuff, cos that is EXPENSIVE. The earlier models sound and perform very much the same, just lack the usb TI parts.

I don't use any computers or soundcards in my studio. My main sequencer is an MPC 1000k which I use for MIDI sequencing my Virus B. I have a bunch of drum samples in the MPC too. I've also an EMX which
I use mostly for percussion and dirty noises. The audio from these machines goes through a mixer, and I add on effects with a couple hardware fx machines. I often sample back into the MPC again. I've a MIDI drumkit for when I wanna rock out and play some breakbeat stuff, it triggers samples or chopped loops in the MPC. I record the main mixer out with a minidisc machine.

Arguably, I would have much more options and hundreds of synths and greater editing possibilities if I used a computer and a midi controller. I cant just whack a reverb, compressor and EQ on every channel, I would need to stop, resample, reroute audio, and treat the next track in the same way. But that is often a good thing, I don't do stuff unnecessarily. I currently have 229 knobs and 370 buttons (if you include piano keys). I think this is better than pictures of an unlimited amount of them. I like messing with cables. Since I spend my working day staring into a computer screen, it's the last thing I wanna do when I get home and start making music.

In the end of the day I think you can sum up the whole software/hardware thing with the keyboard analogy above. Sure you can get by with typing on a software keyboard, and you can install several of them in different languages and colours with predictive text and other features, but it's still not the same thing as just typing on a real one.

Last edited:
Well, think of it this way... look at an iPad or android tablet.. is a keyboard really needed? No, but do you want to sit down and write a novel using one? fuck no.

Software often sounds just as good (VA's are a CPU running software algorithms anyway), and software is often not limited by polyphony, modulation options, and especially menus and graphical interfaces. Displays on hardware synths are expensive and rare. However, softsynths have pictures of knobs. Ask yourself, do you want to twist knobs, or do you wnt to click on pictures of them with your mouse?

Do you have any other gear? Hardware really starts to take off when you have a good mixer and an fx rack. It's not about what sounds better, it's about how you wire up your studio and how you grab stuff with your hands and if you like having the lights down low and hundreds of blinking, pulsating LEDs everywhere. If you find yoruself lost in soundcard device preferences and DAW sampling rates and especially midi controller mappings and routing issues, then absolutely go for hardware.... if you are curious, a used virus B or C is a bloody great place to start. Research and ask yourself if you really need the TI stuff, cos that is EXPENSIVE. The earlier models sound and perform very much the same, just lack the usb TI parts.

I don't use any computers or soundcards in my studio. My main sequencer is an MPC 1000k which I use for MIDI sequencing my Virus B. I have a bunch of drum samples in the MPC too. I've also an EMX which
I use mostly for percussion and dirty noises. The audio from these machines goes through a mixer, and I add on effects with a couple hardware fx machines. I often sample back into the MPC again. I've a MIDI drumkit for when I wanna rock out and play some breakbeat stuff, it triggers samples or chopped loops in the MPC. I record the main mixer out with a minidisc machine.

Arguably, I would have much more options and hundreds of synths and greater editing possibilities if I used a computer and a midi controller. I cant just whack a reverb, compressor and EQ on every channel, I would need to stop, resample, reroute audio, and treat the next track in the same way. But that is often a good thing, I don't do stuff unnecessarily. I currently have 229 knobs and 370 buttons (if you include piano keys). I think this is better than pictures of an unlimited amount of them. I like messing with cables. Since I spend my working day staring into a computer screen, it's the last thing I wanna do when I get home and start making music.

In the end of the day I think you can sum up the whole software/hardware thing with the keyboard analogy above. Sure you can get by with typing on a software keyboard, and you can install several of them in different languages and colours with predictive text and other features, but it's still not the same thing as just typing on a real one.

dont have any other hardware, how much is a good mixer , and and couldnt I just use the fx in my daw? I don't want to go all hardware, i do like having it on the computer... but some hardware synths is my main reason for wanting hardware!

thanks for the post!

Back
Top Bottom