DnB Sub Bass Tips ?

Well the short story is, is that you can do damn near anything with your sub, just get a hell of a lot creative with it! One example is if you are resampling your bassline is to place a limiter on your bass to get it nice, even, and really fat and heavy and thick. And with the lookahead, you really shouldnt have a problem with clipping unless you set it to really tight. However that is only one way! Don't Fret, here is another way! With no limiter, a full unlimited sound! BTW NEVER use a master limiter nor compressor, it just tarnishes the sound of what it truly is outputting, not to say your master jobs are bad, but its best labels and people hear the pure and clean sound!

And I think what the gentlemen at the top of this post is saying is please dont make your base just medieval and destroy the system... you can and always are encouraged to use sounds and bass balanced with itself and highly pleasurable for a sound system to play, however yes he is right that a sine is the absolute best wave form to use for sub bass. That and following the techniques all in this thread will help you out buddy! :) sub bass is actually really fun to work with you'll find! ;) My best of luck and wishes in you producing succesfully brother!

Way #2 but never limited to just this is, to basically like a hump on a mountain boost your frequencies around 35-50, but just under 50 so it doesnt really get much over 50hz and you are hitting exactly on point at 50! Your bass can go even higher then 50 htz. I just personally prefer to use the 20-50 hz block of frequency for bass. In this method just boost, as this is called, your 35-50 about 6 db but a good amount to where you can feel your bass much more powerfully then before, then lower your sub by 6 db so compensate for pressure change. In that way, you are making the most powerful frequencies of the bass the stars of your show and the lower ones are basically the air around it that keeps it fat and brilliant and just damn amazing and huge! Best of luck to you buddy, happy producing! And a nice sidechain compression really can and does help to really stick your mix together! Not necesary in all cases but mostly you do need a good amount of sidechaining to compensate for the immense pressure being output both by the kick and bass, in which truly eq work alone wouldnt just work ;) <3 ॐ

It all comes down to a physical science of 3d dynamics of sound! Too much limiter can and will crush a sound, which can or may not be bad depending on situation and the sound the artist is looking for but you get my point! Play with it and experiment! it is truly the best way, along with combining techniques to perfect your own techniques and skills even further! and to grow further into this community as a wholesome producer of some fine dnb :)

Last edited:
I use to do all of my basses in D. A low d is about 37 Hz. The thing is, not many systems can reproduce frequencies that low. Whenever I'd test a tune I could barely hear the sub. Now I have a lot of my tunes at around f sharp. The sub is more clear.

Also if the bass needs thickening up a little bit I will use fm with one Osc and octave above. Only using subtle amounts though. A very small amount of overdrive can sound good too. I use overdrive on a lot of things though

Oh I mis read your post. Yeah I've remixed a tune that is f sharp, it's neither major or min as it only has one note lol. All the elements I have added in are within the f minor or dim blues scale. I can't remember. When the track drops though it goes into g sharp. A sense or urgency is created by the key change. It's barely noticeable but it exceeds anticipation.
It's always good to try to exceed anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom