Speaker setup??

checkmabadself

A gift from punjab
I have a pair of Alesis Mk2 Active monitor speakers, currently positioned on a window sill wired into each other and into the matster out of the Mixer.

I've never had monitor speakers before and just want to know if I have them setup properly?? and whether having them on a window sil with glass behind them is gonna make a difference to the sound.

Is there any Do's & Don'ts for speaker setup??

help a bruva out here. :pat:

Well mine have a cable with 2 1/4" jacks which connect the speakers together then they go into a normal small pair of left & right phono's which go into the mixer??

2 fundementals.....if u put them close to a wall or window it will amplify the bass....you don't want this....also put them on something and it will aplify frequencies, buzz etc...u want speaker stands if you can this will make a BIG fdifference to how they sound....also if they are nearfield monitors you want them about 1M-1.5m from you.
Also worth noting that bass line wave can be rather long so occaisonaly go and satnd a long way from teh speakers if you can to get an idea of what the bass is doing as it travels......(yn)

Stedfast said:
2 fundementals.....if u put them close to a wall or window it will amplify the bass....you don't want this....also put them on something and it will aplify frequencies, buzz etc...u want speaker stands if you can this will make a BIG fdifference to how they sound....also if they are nearfield monitors you want them about 1M-1.5m from you.
Also worth noting that bass line wave can be rather long so occaisonaly go and satnd a long way from teh speakers if you can to get an idea of what the bass is doing as it travels......(yn)

Excellent thank you for the advice sir, can you recommend any good, resonably priced stands??

Some good stands (cheap) are Polystyrene box fillers (if you have your monitors on a table or other solid surface, they absorb the vibration and stop frequencies going through other solid objects that the monitors are stood on.)

Also, to make stand alone stands get some drainpipe(1m long or however high you need the stands from the ground) put three pieces together side-on-side in a triangle. tape them together. Put a square of mdf on the bottom (no more nails and silicone sealer is good for this!!) and fill the drainpipes with sand. Than put an equal sized square of mdf on the top to sit your speaker on. This works man, believe, removes all vibration and buzzes, and costs a fraction of what professional stands cost (and they are only the same but with spikes on the bottom of the unit but you can get some rugby studs and sharpen them or some golf spikes:teeth:)
Proper Blue Peter style!!:mr_cool:

Dj_Fozzybear said:
Some good stands (cheap) are Polystyrene box fillers (if you have your monitors on a table or other solid surface, they absorb the vibration and stop frequencies going through other solid objects that the monitors are stood on.)

Also, to make stand alone stands get some drainpipe(1m long or however high you need the stands from the ground) put three pieces together side-on-side in a triangle. tape them together. Put a square of mdf on the bottom (no more nails and silicone sealer is good for this!!) and fill the drainpipes with sand. Than put an equal sized square of mdf on the top to sit your speaker on. This works man, believe, removes all vibration and buzzes, and costs a fraction of what professional stands cost (and they are only the same but with spikes on the bottom of the unit but you can get some rugby studs and sharpen them or some golf spikes:teeth:)

GHETTO STYLES, BELIEVE !!!

:cops:

Dj_Fozzybear said:

Excellent advice, big up on the releases as well portsmouth crew reppin!

Oh and wheres the here's one I made earlier!! :drums:

Dj_Fozzybear said:

Ive made some in just this fashion only with a singular tube. Will post a pic if I get chance, mine look pretty damn sweet if you ask me ;)

checkmabadself said:
Excellent advice, big up on the releases as well portsmouth crew reppin!

Oh and wheres the here's one I made earlier!! :drums:

cheers man, it ain't all about London init!!!
It means a lot to have so much support from all the Pompey peeps!!
Everyone is so much more open and positive on the South coast!!!!
I shoulda put some pics up init but i was at work, the one i made earlier bit can come later. Actually, i need to make myself some more (as mine are a bit worn now) so i could do a Blue Peter style picture tutorial thread or something.

Ive made some in just this fashion only with a singular tube. Will post a pic if I get chance, mine look pretty damn sweet if you ask me

Looks like my new ones will be single tube den, i am tubeoverkillman!!!!!
They do look sweet don't they man and with the added extra of, "I made them:) !!"

Back
Top Bottom