So Where Did It Start................

I got into this(the scene) firstly via the prodigy and listening to weekend rush fm and innersense(innocence) fm and then kool.Then 1 day when i was working on my sisters market stall i found a rave tape stall and i bought a quest 92 tape featuring j j frost and dj seduction,but it were'nt until early 93 that i actually went to a rave and that rave was life utopia at the ravedome(david lloyd tennis centre) in hounslow.i even remember what was playing when i walked in,boogie times tribe-dark stranger,really cant remember who was playing but i remember det and shabba was up on stage,i kinda lost it a bit after that but it was a fukkin good night.i'm still 'aving it to this day but not as much,the last party i went to was the last night at the sanctuary which (if you was there you'd know) was a tearin' :rave: anyway thats where it started for me i'm out,later

The 1988 K&T Mix of Maurice "This Is Acid" did it for me.

Last edited:
This has actually been a good read, I like that some people are old school and some are new, but together we all just brock out. Oh god, that sounds a bit mushy from me. hmmm. ???

zoob said:
hippo said:
Drum and bass found me weird!!! Was bang into Spiral tribeQUOTE]

Thats one hellva change over!

You still into the spiral business?

I didn't think Spiral Tribe existed anymore...? Last I heard they toured America in the mid 90s but I didn't even know what they were at the time.

this is gonna sound funny, but it actually happened... it was the year 1998 i was hangin around my mates house, the kitchen to be honest, having a smoke, then my mate put goldies "Saturnz Returns" album cd into the stereo, "temper, temper" tune and i was hooked instantly, god i remember like it was yesterday, after that i borrowed that album and been listenin to dnb ever since.

the second tune that really gave boost to my listening experience was optical "to shape the future"... oh boy :D

:evil:

Mulla said:
Used to be into a lot of rock/punk/metal up until about '98 when I went to a warehouse rave called Exodus in Luton.

Was mainly hardcore and techno but that was my first proper introduction to dance music and the rave culture.

That same night I borrowed a Vibes & Mastervibe tape off a mate and couldnt stop listening to it!!! About 6 months later I started mixing and havent looked back since!
ive been to exodus in luton and in pitstone quarry bout 6 years ago ghb and mc massica

I guess the dnb infection gripped me shortly after i started goin to rave parties. I saw the degenerate nature of most small local rave parties and it really turned me off the whole rave scene, but like i said the infection had already set in. Now it's all black crack and happiness. I been collected dnb for just about as long as my first few rave parties. I new where i was goin.

i used to like the older prodigy stuff when i was about 10 or 11. I then forgot about dnb til i was about 14 or 15 when i borrowed a nicky blackmarket tape off me mate. and loved it. started mixin dnb it when i was 16 and went to my first rave around the same time. DJ Hype, Skibadee and Shabba. was a great night. i even liked shabba at the time! oh how things have changed... plenty more years of dnb experiences come. lookin forward to every minute :2thumbs:

I don't remember how it happened for me, i remember about 5 years ago i had John B - Up All Night on my tape player as i walked around school haha -- i cooled off and listened to pop, then suddenly in the last 2 years the dnb scene has been waay growing for me - few of my friends are into it tho :(

Once upon a time hmmm musta been 10 years ago or more, i was already into the music but a friend of mine got some decks so i started to learn to mix aswell, Shortly after i got some decks myself, then about 6 months later we met Jim aka Heist and we all lived happily ever after :jacko:

I love these questions cos i get to rant on in the twisted belief someone actually cares...haha.

I got into DnB gradually through a love for breakbeat music which i still have. It was partly through the prodge, but also through people like josh wink, black dog, tricky, chemical bros. all a bit random i know but it lead to a love of dance music with breaks in.

I also love hip hop and harber an intense love for cypress hill which again lead me onto dnb. I got into it properly around the time that jump up was around. I had a cD called jump up show down with bad ass, man of steel n all that. I thought i loved dnb but then i found the dark stuff n that was it...hooked. Also platinum breakz got me into a lot more intelligent stuff. metalheadz remains my fave label.

old tape packs helped a lot too! most of them on,y have about one faded tape left in em.

these tunes defined me...

my first rave was in the boxing club in reading, i was about 17 and cause for concern played....hooked!

since then my love for the music has gone up and down. I think now dnb has stabilised and it is great to see it coming of age.

Last edited:
i was driving up to a Jurassic 5 show in DC in 99. it was about 4 am and my friend had fallen asleep. up until this time, i'd been mostly into house. but she had popped in goldie's incredible sounds of dnb cd before she doze off. just as i was coming over a mountain, the sun began to rise and neil trix's "gesture without motion" came on. the music blended perfectly with the view. it was one of those moments where everything just came together. i couldn't get enough after that.

Damn I mad late on this one, but whatever.

I actually got into Drum N Bass before I even knew there was any kind of scene. It was like 6 or 7 years ago and I think I heard it on TV, I cant remember where I heard it on tv, all I know is that once I heard it I was hooked. Then somebody told me it was called jungle so I went to Tower music and bought my first DnB Cd, Massive Breakbeats.The funny thing is I didnt even know about parties until like two or three years after buying that CD, I just loved the music. Ever since then I have had nothing but love and the utmost respect for this beutifuly composed art of noise called Drum N Bass.

I'm a real late comer to the scene - in October 2003 my mate asked me to copy two of his CDs for someone else. They were ones that came with Accelerated Culture packs - a recent set from Andy C on AC13 and an older set from Hype which came with AC12. I was well into punk and metal (and still am to a certain extent). I'd heard snippets and thought I'd give them a listen. I couldn't believe my ears! I told my mate and he said Andy C was playing with Hype, Swift and Loxy @ Reaction on the pier, the coming Friday. What a line up! Hype didn't turn up (of course) but Andy C did a two hour set and I was hooked.

I then went to three Accelerated Cultures in a row before getting mightily pissed off with the harsh atmosphere and the seriously mashed up arseholes but I still want the chance to experience a London rave if I can find anyone to go with. None of my mates like it except for the one student guy who gave me the CDs and my girlfriend thinks I'm mad but I don't really care! :finger2:

I now spend much of my working life listening to any and all dnb I can get my hands on while pretending to work, and I don't think I've missed a Portsmouth rave since. :D

I got into it how many people have - just purely at random, hearing one track once (mine was Ladies of Spain by BC) and then listening again..... and again...... and then exploring more, finding other tracks by the same artist, exploring a little more, finding similar artists, finding others who share interest for same type of music, getting recommendations... Awesome stuff.

That's why I'll always have a special place in my heart for )EIB( (proper BC, not just Fresh's stuff, the real older properly-collaborated stuff), cause Bad Company got me properly into dnb.

I can't listen to anything now if there aren't enough bass frequencies or there's not enough textural complexity to it :D

Back
Top Bottom