So i buy Ozone 4

I find that using it whilst writing a tune is far more effective that just putting it on when finishing. It gives you an idea of what you are working to. Start by using a preset or a setting you have used previously and tweak the settings at the end.

I find that using it whilst writing a tune is far more effective that just putting it on when finishing. It gives you an idea of what you are working to. Start by using a preset or a setting you have used previously and tweak the settings at the end.

I use to do the same, but I constantly ran into two problem.

The first: Finer edits (ex. Surgical eqing) became a bit difficult as Ozone's enhanced processing would make my ears "hear" bad frequencies within certain channels, though they were perfectly fine when Ozone was disabled.
The second: Automating filters became a bit deceiving in that having Ozone enabled made the filters sound as though they were being driven too hard, when in reality (i.e. Ozone disabled) they were barely creating much of an audible difference.

By all means if it works for you, keep it up. I'm just stating this primarily for those new to the game as a bit of caution. Admittedly, I will put a very light, stock eq on the master out and then activate it when playing a tune back to get a bit more cohesiveness.

Cheers.

I use Ozone for it's dither, all other processes sound 'hard' to my ear. I cannot use the stereo widener, exciter, the eq or the limiter now. It seems to make things hard and cold quick. It has a lot of stuff going on but a lot of it is superseded by separate plugins that are much better. Thats software all over, never the best and always being betteredso you are left with second best all the time. It depends if you are willing to keep spending money on keeping up with the best new plugins, thats part of my job so I accept it to a degree to offer clients the best.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering

Exactly!

I have the tendency to want to keep making things "louder," and by the time I've got a decent arrangement, my levels are all over the place. Rather than attempt to fight the urge to increase the volume in my DAW, I crank my headphones/monitors.

Specifically, I'll start with my kick hitting around -12 dB. Then I simply increase my audio interface volume until I have a pleasant thump coming through my monitors and headphones. Then, with every instrument/hit I add to the song, I try to keep each respective channel below my kick's -12db (either via channel volume fader, compression etc.) Even though my levels are quite low, my audio interface output has the track cranking–cutting off my urge to turn up volume faders or compression gains.

What ends up happening is that my master output has plenty of headroom. So I'll then lower my audio interface volume and add an instance of Ozone or AdLimiter to my master out to give me a rough idea of how the master will sound. This little workflow enhancement has proven to be extremely valuable to me.

Cheers!

It's the exact same way how I work, this really improved my mixdowns since I started working like this.

So in general terms working like this gives u less frequency issues, clipping and distortions??

Yes since there will always be enough headroom. Now you can still clip particular plugins by pushing them really hard and then lowering the volume afterwards if you like some digital distortion. I just got iZotope Ozone 5 together with iZotope Trash distortion with a nice 50% educational discount! THANKS IZOTOPE! :D

Back
Top Bottom