samples and key shit

MARKLAR

International Tracksuit Salesman
VIP Junglist
ok say i have a sample on c
but i play it through my piano roll on f
what is that sound now?

also can i use samples that are certain keys on other keys to match my shit??
if you understand this GREAT because im not so sure anymore

this has always comfused the shit out of me and thats why i never use samples except drums and vox but anyway.

what is that sound now?

this has always comfused the shit out of me and thats why i never use samples except drums and vox but anyway.
Firstly, it depends on if the sample has a fundamental note. If that fundamental is C, then it will be pitched up or down to the relative F (based on sample playback). If its not C, then it will be a different note 5 semitones up from whatever the fundamental is (which you can find out with a tuner usually or referring to sine waves being played).

If it doesnt have a fundumental not then it will sound the same but 'higher' or 'lower' because the harmonics have moved up or down the frequency spectrum.

You can change the key of a sample by harmonically changing the key in an audio editor, or by pitching it up or down.
It is highly recommended that you gat all you samples in key, if they have one (dont bother if they dont).

what is that sound now?

I always believed that, when you use piano roll to trigger a sample, you'd need to transpose the sound (in your case it's C) to the note you're playing on piano roll, by the same amount of notes/seminotes. In your case, I believe this is not the problem, as the C5 note on the piano roll equals the sample as it is, this being, you're already playing it as a C note. This makes any sense?

All what mania said really. Always try and match the samples key to the relative note on the piano then what ever note you play will be pitched in sync with that; you play F, the note will be F

Back
Top Bottom