Rumble in the Jungle

Smickus

VIP Junglist
I moved to New Zealand 2 months ago and entered the infamous rumble in the jungle dj competition. The Wellington heats were held on Friday night and the competition was pretty solid. I had a fun set and enjoyed most of the mixing on the night. I recorded the mix I did on the night - only a 15 minute one - but the first mix I've done since changing from vinyl/audio 4 to CDJs

01 - Noisia and The Upbeats - Sacrifice
>> Fierce and Vicious Circle - Section
02 - Bladrunner - Spartan Law
03 - The Prototypes - Subterrestrial VIP
04 - Rene LaVice - Meow
05 - Commix - Broken Man
06 - Total Science and S.P.Y - Gangsta
07 - Sunchase - Remember Me
>> Icicle - Minimal Funk

Feedback appreciated!

Last edited:
Yo...nice little minimix mate! Have to say I've never enjoyed CDJs they feel a bit plastic fantastic to me but it's a hell of a lot easier to manage than turntables obviously. If I'm being honest the mixing was a bit wobbly but seeing as your usually pretty shit hot it's nothing a bit of time won't fix.

You homesick yet Smickus?

Yo...nice little minimix mate! Have to say I've never enjoyed CDJs they feel a bit plastic fantastic to me but it's a hell of a lot easier to manage than turntables obviously. If I'm being honest the mixing was a bit wobbly but seeing as your usually pretty shit hot it's nothing a bit of time won't fix.

You homesick yet Smickus?
Wobbly how?

I'm gonna get hold of the live recording soon and give that a listen. In this recording I do some chopping that doesn't sound too good, but I think it went better on the night.

I think the main advantage for CDJs/vinyl is the faffing about loading tunes. Especially in a competition it's easier to click next than it is to get the vinyl out the bag, chuck it on and that. I also managed to cut a few of the tracks first 16 bars to allow me to leave tracks in longer and still get the next one in to make them double drop.

Homesick a bit, more for people back home than the place. New Zealand is a much better to place to live compared to the UK. You really don't realise how shit the UK is until you see how great another country can be.

Back
Top Bottom