Rumble in the Jungle

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Smickus, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

I moved to New Zealand 2 months ago and entered the infamous rumble in the jungle dj competition. The Wellington heats were held on Friday night and the competition was pretty solid. I had a fun set and enjoyed most of the mixing on the night. I recorded the mix I did on the night - only a 15 minute one - but the first mix I've done since changing from vinyl/audio 4 to CDJs

01 - Noisia and The Upbeats - Sacrifice
    >> Fierce and Vicious Circle - Section
    02 - Bladrunner - Spartan Law
    03 - The Prototypes - Subterrestrial VIP
    04 - Rene LaVice - Meow
    05 - Commix - Broken Man
    06 - Total Science and S.P.Y - Gangsta
    07 - Sunchase - Remember Me
    >> Icicle - Minimal Funk

Feedback appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Yo...nice little minimix mate! Have to say I've never enjoyed CDJs they feel a bit plastic fantastic to me but it's a hell of a lot easier to manage than turntables obviously. If I'm being honest the mixing was a bit wobbly but seeing as your usually pretty shit hot it's nothing a bit of time won't fix.

You homesick yet Smickus?

3. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

Wobbly how?

I'm gonna get hold of the live recording soon and give that a listen. In this recording I do some chopping that doesn't sound too good, but I think it went better on the night.

I think the main advantage for CDJs/vinyl is the faffing about loading tunes. Especially in a competition it's easier to click next than it is to get the vinyl out the bag, chuck it on and that. I also managed to cut a few of the tracks first 16 bars to allow me to leave tracks in longer and still get the next one in to make them double drop.

Homesick a bit, more for people back home than the place. New Zealand is a much better to place to live compared to the UK. You really don't realise how shit the UK is until you see how great another country can be.