Rifine Beats & Bass 4 - Indigo, dBridge, Dan Habarnam, Stray, Om Unit -100% vinyl

big mix man, thought all the mixing was really smooth and liked the layback minimal sound, can't wait to get mosaic vol 2 now haha (pre-ordered it ages ago but still waiting for a few releases to come out before they ship my order)

Cheers DB93! Glad you liked it. Something laid back and easy listening for the bank holiday weekend.
You will thoroughly enjoy Mosaic 2 when it turns up. I really like all the tracks on there & the all bring something different to that compilation.

On it dude, tracklist looks mad.
Wah that Danny Scrilla Reso remix is a track I literally picked up last night! Be good to see how you put it in the mix, reckon it'll be included in my next one for sure.

Right feedback time.
Well worth the wait for this one mate, absolutely loved it.
I can tell you worked really hard on the tracklist as well
(either that or your off the cuff selection is through the roof!) as everything flowed so, so well.
Don't think there's a track I don't like in this mix, was particularly impressed with the Symbol 8.3 - Paranoise section. Everything here was mixed so flawlessly, you managed to do something I love doing and that's finding tunes that work so well together they can basically be played over the top of each other from start to finish.
Alot of standout mixes in this but I really liked Electric Riddim - Deadweight. It's that proper half time, 80's vibe Om Unit has into the aggressive, growlier Deadweight, sounded wicked.
Check 1,2 into Neverending was quality, Neverending is actually another tune im planning on using in my next mix!
Was nice to hear alot of the older mosaic bits in here as well, City Section & Time for example.
ASC's the Touch into Rendering the Garlic Boy was a mix I saw and thought, will that work... turned out it did so so well so was a wicked little outro.

Overall, the whole mix was fantastic, especially for 100% vinyl, but im sure you knew I was going to dig it based on the tracklist alone. Makes me miss doing my Autonomic ones!
Honesty can't really fault it, will be playing this for a long time to come. I think if I was being really picky and you wanted criticism the intro mix, Microcosm - One, became a little messy at times, but I think that was just the tracks not the mixing.
Big up Watcha! Cannot wait for #5

Nice one for checking this Sicx!
Yeah really like Check 1, 2 Danny Scrilla rmx, the way the jukey high end beats in that roll with the industrial synth stabs in it is wicked. Great minds and all that, along with Neverending :D Your too nice with your kind words too, and I did work a fair chunk on the tracklist, as my off the cuff selection only jells really well every now & again.

Pointed out a few of my favourite mixes in there as well, like Symbol 8.3 - Paranoise, Electric Riddim - Deadweight, Check 1,2 rmx - Neverending & The Touch - Rendering The Garlic Boy :) In particular Electric Riddim - Deadweight & that you picked up on the growl from Deadweight pushing through the half time melodic notes of Electribe Riddim. Really pleased you mentioned that as well. Wanted Microcosm - One to be quite crunchy to be honest, like an animal waking up from hibernation and being all stiff and disjointed before getting its movements more fluid and natural. Thought they sat alright together as well as could be expected.

You should do some more Autonomic / minimal mixes mate. Your last one with Persecute & Tolerate was quality.

Will be rocking the 100% vinyl mixes for a ling time to come + B&B 5 coming in 20 days :)

Last edited:
Weekend bump :bump:

downloading now mark, looks good! will be back with feedback at some point

already halfway through and really enjoying it, good shit

Tracklist looks gold, perfect to and from work listening tomorrow

Nice, will give this a spin and jot some thoughts soon

On this. TL looks amazing.

Minimal vibes, yes!

Have a 2 hours car ride tomorrow morning, will get this rolling

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Dan, James, HAB, FH, Vanden, AO, Norwax and Jack, any feedback from you guys or anyone else who has listened?

See, bruv, the thing is that whenever I listen to any of the B&B series, I'm constantly reminded that my knowledge of the autonomic / deeper end of the spectrum is woefully understimulated. It's stuff that, were I to find myself with the time, I would likely spend a hell of a lot of time getting invested in. I wish I could, but damn it is always nice to have someone with a more vast and intimate knowledge of the sound educate me on where its going. After all, let's be honest, this is the future of DNB.

For 100% vinyl this mix was insane. Its been a long time since I mixed on vinyl myself but hearing the little nuances in the mix, all the analog pops and love in the sound makes me want to try my hand at it again. It also really opened my eyes to some tunes that, while I've come to appreciate, have never heard in a mix before. Case and point would be One -> When It Rains, both of which are brilliant tunes that actually mixed really well here in the mix. Those Habernam tunes on Cylon are serious business, as he's really progessing the sound in the right direction. You managed to bring them in to compliment one another really well on the breakdown. I absolutely adore anything that's coming out of Auxiliary, for obvious reasons, but the way that you're able to take the atmospherics of non-aux tunes and meld them with KDC or Indigo tunes really impresses me. I liked the bit with 8.3 coming in, but when the Stray tune faded out it felt just a touch... I don't know, underwhelming? Like some of the punch got taken out. Still a lovely tune that fell beautifully into that Om Unit tune. THAT is one I need to pick up.

I like the way the step and rhythm changed from Electribe to Deadweight. Getting darker, more serious, starting to really feel the bass. However, special shouts for me go to 7.1 -> Sense of Being -> 8.1. That's one hell of a section, right there. The mixing, like you said, was a bit weird with the non-DJ-friendly intros, but the point is that the vibe really matched up very well. Very strong section of melodies. I was a little thrown off by Paranoise, myself. Good tune, but didn't seem to fit the overall flow of the mix. I get that it starts a contrasting flow into the Helios remix, but it just seemed a bit abrasive on the drop. On the complete opposite hand, said Helios remix was fucking lovely. Really vibed out and just kinda lost myself in the tune, which you let roll out beautifully. That's a tune that demands its own time in the mix, and you really let it do its thing.

I liked the Scrilla tune, as you let the intro build and turn the mix in a totally different direction. Really sinister vibes, and it carried on nicely for the next couple tunes in that darker realm. I started to really perk up when I heard White Snares come in, as I've been focused on that tune for a while. I really liked how Snares -> Detuned -> Last Life were really contradictory tunes that, when given ample space and masterful mixing, had a strong connection that would never have been apparent. However, I have to say that the last five or so tunes stand out as the coup de gras of the mix. City Section -> Afterglo Remix stood out as a bit that I want to try my own hand at mixing, as those two tunes have such strong moods and synths. Really puts you in a different place. Same goes for Touch -> Rendering, which is a bit that I rewound on about seven times when the mix was done the first time around. Absolutely smashing outro, there, as those two tunes were paired beautifully with perfect distinction between highs and lows. Flawless, there.

Again, man, you turn me on to so much music on this end of the spectrum that I would otherwise never really give a chance mixing. The technique was really strong on this one, and it shows how much dedication you have to creating a strong showcase of the music you clearly love and appreciate. Keep this series going and keep it going strong, man!

See, bruv, the thing is that whenever I listen to any of the B&B series, I'm constantly reminded that my knowledge of the autonomic / deeper end of the spectrum is woefully understimulated. It's stuff that, were I to find myself with the time, I would likely spend a hell of a lot of time getting invested in. I wish I could, but damn it is always nice to have someone with a more vast and intimate knowledge of the sound educate me on where its going. After all, let's be honest, this is the future of DNB.

For 100% vinyl this mix was insane. Its been a long time since I mixed on vinyl myself but hearing the little nuances in the mix, all the analog pops and love in the sound makes me want to try my hand at it again. It also really opened my eyes to some tunes that, while I've come to appreciate, have never heard in a mix before. Case and point would be One -> When It Rains, both of which are brilliant tunes that actually mixed really well here in the mix. Those Habernam tunes on Cylon are serious business, as he's really progessing the sound in the right direction. You managed to bring them in to compliment one another really well on the breakdown. I absolutely adore anything that's coming out of Auxiliary, for obvious reasons, but the way that you're able to take the atmospherics of non-aux tunes and meld them with KDC or Indigo tunes really impresses me. I liked the bit with 8.3 coming in, but when the Stray tune faded out it felt just a touch... I don't know, underwhelming? Like some of the punch got taken out. Still a lovely tune that fell beautifully into that Om Unit tune. THAT is one I need to pick up.

I like the way the step and rhythm changed from Electribe to Deadweight. Getting darker, more serious, starting to really feel the bass. However, special shouts for me go to 7.1 -> Sense of Being -> 8.1. That's one hell of a section, right there. The mixing, like you said, was a bit weird with the non-DJ-friendly intros, but the point is that the vibe really matched up very well. Very strong section of melodies. I was a little thrown off by Paranoise, myself. Good tune, but didn't seem to fit the overall flow of the mix. I get that it starts a contrasting flow into the Helios remix, but it just seemed a bit abrasive on the drop. On the complete opposite hand, said Helios remix was fucking lovely. Really vibed out and just kinda lost myself in the tune, which you let roll out beautifully. That's a tune that demands its own time in the mix, and you really let it do its thing.

I liked the Scrilla tune, as you let the intro build and turn the mix in a totally different direction. Really sinister vibes, and it carried on nicely for the next couple tunes in that darker realm. I started to really perk up when I heard White Snares come in, as I've been focused on that tune for a while. I really liked how Snares -> Detuned -> Last Life were really contradictory tunes that, when given ample space and masterful mixing, had a strong connection that would never have been apparent. However, I have to say that the last five or so tunes stand out as the coup de gras of the mix. City Section -> Afterglo Remix stood out as a bit that I want to try my own hand at mixing, as those two tunes have such strong moods and synths. Really puts you in a different place. Same goes for Touch -> Rendering, which is a bit that I rewound on about seven times when the mix was done the first time around. Absolutely smashing outro, there, as those two tunes were paired beautifully with perfect distinction between highs and lows. Flawless, there.

Again, man, you turn me on to so much music on this end of the spectrum that I would otherwise never really give a chance mixing. The technique was really strong on this one, and it shows how much dedication you have to creating a strong showcase of the music you clearly love and appreciate. Keep this series going and keep it going strong, man!

Wow HAB! That is some feedback! Not just some kind words but some real in depth critique. Thanks man! :)
Glad that you have locked into some of the previous B&B episodes before. You should get your head into some autonomic / minimal stuff. You would really enjoy it, bringing your technical skills to a different sub-genre of dnb + I love the space in this kind of dnb, like more breathing room between beats.

Thanks for the compliments in the paragraphs! Picked up on some of the bits I liked the most to mix in there, like One - When It Rains, Electribe Riddim - Deadweight, 7.1 - Sense of Being - 8.1 + Last Life - Detuned. You got what I was trying to do with those mixes.Yeh, I get what you (+ others) mentioned about when that Stray tune faded out, but I hardly noticed it the few times I have listened back over and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. And again, I didn't think Paranoise didn't fit the mix. I felt it went with 8.1 rather well tbh.

Pleased you felt the outro section too. I try to have a start, middle & end in these episodes so that they tell a story + I kept Rendering in for a longer mix so that a few elements of both those tunes came together in the ride more. Also around the Oni rmx - White Snares as people are always saying to keep mixes in for longer if you are feeling them.

Yeh, really love this kind of dnb (as you can tell) :) lots more treasured tunes to come in future B&B episodes. B&B 5 coming in 13 days ;)

Weekend bump again

downloading now mark, looks good! will be back with feedback at some point

already halfway through and really enjoying it, good shit

Tracklist looks gold, perfect to and from work listening tomorrow

Nice, will give this a spin and jot some thoughts soon

On this. TL looks amazing.

Minimal vibes, yes!

Have a 2 hours car ride tomorrow morning, will get this rolling

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Dan, James, FH, Vanden, AO, Norwax and Jack, any feedback from you guys or anyone else who has listened?
Last bump up this one. Hopefully B&B 5 coming next weekend :)

This mix is really just sublime, bro. You have a real good feel for building and subtlety. You also have a real good ear for harmony and picking tunes that complement one another. The highlight for me was the middle section starting at the Stray remix of that Dreams tune into Check 1,2. The energy really builds well which isn't an easy thing to do with this kind of music. I like how you slowly introduce tunes 4 bars before the mix really gets started. It builds anticipation. City Section > Afterglo is probably the roughest mix. Harmonically it sounds a little off and City Section really mixes well with 2 step tunes. It's not a distracting mix though.

Oni>White Snares went a little long for me and there might be some key clashing, but the beats really work together so that's not a big deal. White Snares really isn't an easy tune to mix. The BMT tune was a nice choice. It's good to get a Reece in there as the mix starts to get edgier yet still musical. BMT > Detuned is just a sick mix. Great time to get into a stepper. Indigo is really underrated, isn't he?

Overall, I would really have to get critical to even get nitpicky. Great mix.

This mix is really just sublime, bro. You have a real good feel for building and subtlety. You also have a real good ear for harmony and picking tunes that complement one another. The highlight for me was the middle section starting at the Stray remix of that Dreams tune into Check 1,2. The energy really builds well which isn't an easy thing to do with this kind of music. I like how you slowly introduce tunes 4 bars before the mix really gets started. It builds anticipation. City Section > Afterglo is probably the roughest mix. Harmonically it sounds a little off and City Section really mixes well with 2 step tunes. It's not a distracting mix though.

Oni>White Snares went a little long for me and there might be some key clashing, but the beats really work together so that's not a big deal. White Snares really isn't an easy tune to mix. The BMT tune was a nice choice. It's good to get a Reece in there as the mix starts to get edgier yet still musical. BMT > Detuned is just a sick mix. Great time to get into a stepper. Indigo is really underrated, isn't he?

Overall, I would really have to get critical to even get nitpicky. Great mix.

Nice one for getting back with some feedback. Was hoping you'd hold on till tomorrow when B&B 5 drops, but hey ho.

Thanks for the kind words too. Although I'd don't fully agreed on some of the points you mentioned. I was chasing the mix bring in Afterglo rmx (dually noted), but wanted to keep the mix with Oni rmx - White Snares in for longer as an additional melody comes in 64 bars from the drop in White Snares and didn't want to take it out of the mix then.

Yeh really like Indigo's production. I think he gets overlooked as he works with Synkro alot, and I do kinda prefer Synkro's 170 stuff to Indigo's 170 stuff, but Indigo is unique in his own way. I also think Indigo doesn't make enough 170 stuff. Hope he makes more in the future. Ez

I also think Indigo doesn't make enough 170 stuff. Hope he makes more in the future.

yes, that`s true.
really enjoyed your selection and mix.
been a long time listening to that non-digital/vinyl only stuff by 31, cylon, alphacut, darkestral...

thx.

This has been on a heavy rotation for the last week, so as I've promised, it's time for some feedback innit :)

I had a hard time to get into the mood of this one at first, but after a good few listens I'm safe to say this one's my favourite piece of B&B series so far. I'm a sucker for the melodic minimal stuff and also there are some tunes I hold in the highest possible regard - When It Rains, Stray's RMX of Last Dream Called Ocean and last but not at all least City Section.

I wasn't familiar with the first tune at all and it's a weird one, altough I've become very fond of it eventually. Those bleeps sets the tone and the transition into One is smooth as! Moving on, When It Rains starts to creep slowly into the mix, lovely calm piece of music, can't really get enough of this tune (as applies to all the latest BMTM releases). Progressing into Symbol 8.3 is interesting as the melodies work together, strangely at first, but they compliment each other rather well actually. Electribe Riddim brings some foul vibes back to the mix and then Deadweight takes over...wicked mix this one, tunes working really great together!
Symbol 7.1 cuts deep as well, that bassline is immense. Sense Of Being brightens the mix with some nice harmonies and beatiful vocals by Veela, very nice and contrasting mix with Symbol 7.1. Yet another Symbol, 8.1 this time, makes its way into the mix easily, seamless transition. Same applies for Paranoise coming in and my oh my I'm simply loving the contrast of clicky steppines of Paranoise and Last Dream Called Ocean RMX, that Med School compilation it was on is still their best CD up to date imo, not a single weak tune on that.
Didn't even know there was a Danny Scrilla RMX of Check 1,2, great tune! Didn't even need to check whos tune is the next one, dat bassline is unmistakable. Neverending working nicely with Check 1,2 RMX as well as with Time. Oni RMX brings some more clicks to the mix back again and works perfectly with White Snares, another absolute gem of a tune. Last Life In The Universe brings a bit unsettling vibe to the mix again and it gets even better with Detuned taking over.
Last one of the Symbols, 7.3, sits perfectly right there and yes, I was looking forward to this moment all along, City Section comes in. What a blend Mark, lovely! Another tune I didn't like at first is Afterglo RMX, but once you get into those vocals, it's a really wicked one. Ice sitting on top of Afterglo RMX works a treat and the blend with The Touch is a perfect match I'd say. Good choice to roung it all up with another great piece from Dan Habarnam. Lovely atmosphere in this one really.

So yeah, perfect mix to listen to, varied, atmospheric, that's the way I like it :)

This has been on a heavy rotation for the last week, so as I've promised, it's time for some feedback innit :)

I had a hard time to get into the mood of this one at first, but after a good few listens I'm safe to say this one's my favourite piece of B&B series so far. I'm a sucker for the melodic minimal stuff and also there are some tunes I hold in the highest possible regard - When It Rains, Stray's RMX of Last Dream Called Ocean and last but not at all least City Section.

I wasn't familiar with the first tune at all and it's a weird one, altough I've become very fond of it eventually. Those bleeps sets the tone and the transition into One is smooth as! Moving on, When It Rains starts to creep slowly into the mix, lovely calm piece of music, can't really get enough of this tune (as applies to all the latest BMTM releases). Progressing into Symbol 8.3 is interesting as the melodies work together, strangely at first, but they compliment each other rather well actually. Electribe Riddim brings some foul vibes back to the mix and then Deadweight takes over...wicked mix this one, tunes working really great together!
Symbol 7.1 cuts deep as well, that bassline is immense. Sense Of Being brightens the mix with some nice harmonies and beatiful vocals by Veela, very nice and contrasting mix with Symbol 7.1.
Yet another Symbol, 8.1 this time, makes its way into the mix easily, seamless transition. Same applies for Paranoise coming in and my oh my I'm simply loving the contrast of clicky steppines of Paranoise and Last Dream Called Ocean RMX, that Med School compilation it was on is still their best CD up to date imo, not a single weak tune on that.
Didn't even know there was a Danny Scrilla RMX of Check 1,2, great tune! Didn't even need to check whos tune is the next one, dat bassline is unmistakable. Neverending working nicely with Check 1,2 RMX as well as with Time. Oni RMX brings some more clicks to the mix back again and works perfectly with White Snares, another absolute gem of a tune. Last Life In The Universe brings a bit unsettling vibe to the mix again and it gets even better with Detuned taking over.
Last one of the Symbols, 7.3, sits perfectly right there and yes, I was looking forward to this moment all along, City Section comes in. What a blend Mark, lovely! Another tune I didn't like at first is Afterglo RMX, but once you get into those vocals, it's a really wicked one. Ice sitting on top of Afterglo RMX works a treat and the blend with The Touch is a perfect match I'd say. Good choice to roung it all up with another great piece from Dan Habarnam. Lovely atmosphere in this one really.

So yeah, perfect mix to listen to, varied, atmospheric, that's the way I like it
:)

Thanks for the massive feedback FG! Thought you might have gone in on B&B 5 as this has been off the circuit for a month or so, but kinda glad you did feedback this one, as you mentioned there were some tunes you favour in there, like When It Rains, Last Dream Called Ocean rmx & City Section.

As mentioned previously, I wanted the first couple of tunes to be a little disjointed, while still managing to fit together, like something waking up from hibernation and still being a bit sleepy. Pleased you picked up on the Electribe Riddim - Deadweight mix too. One of my favs in there, along with Sense Of Being on its own (up there as possibly my favourite melodic minimal tune), and also the mixes around Paranoise which you mentioned compliment the steppy bleeps in that :)

The more half time section around Check 1, 2 rmx - Neverending - Time - Oni rmx I really enjoyed mixing as it stripped back alot of elements to the bare minimum. Glad you enjoyed the mixes round City Section too (which I have seen you say is one of your fav tunes off the first Mosaic LP before). I wouldn't say it was perfect, but thanks for the compliments and kind words man! :)

Back
Top Bottom