Rifine Beats & Bass 4 - Indigo, dBridge, Dan Habarnam, Stray, Om Unit -100% vinyl

The Watcha

VIP Junglist
After a 6 month holiday, Beats & Bass is back. Following the release of Mosaic volume 2 & other heads getting in on the minimal tip mixes, it has made me want to get the series going again sooner than expected. Really pleased with the responses that episodes 1, 2 & 3 got. If you are not familiar with the series so far, they feature a mixture of tunes that are minimal / autonomic / down tempo / half time / beat orientated, with some episodes having some juke or footwork influences for added enjoyment. Plus making this episode actually made me realise that I enjoy mixing this kind of dnb a little more that any other type of dnb.

There is a large handful of tunes in this episode that are mixed from the drop, before anyone points that out. This is either because there is no beat for the intro or it is how I mix them. Please get in touch with the artists if it is the former that gets your goat and ask them to make tunes with dj friendly intros. Its not a perfect mix, but hope you enjoy it and stay locked for another episode coming soon.

Tracklist:-

Paranoid Society - Microcosm (Alphacut)
Dan Habarnam - One (Cylon Recordings)
Stray - When It Rains (Blu Mar Ten Records)
Sam KDC - Symbol 8.3 (Auxiliary)
Om Unit & Sam Binga - Electribe Riddim (Exit Recordings)
Cause 4 Concern - Deadweight (Invisible Recordings)
Indigo - Symbol 7.1 (Auxiliary)
Two Thirds, Badapple & Veela - Sense Of Being (Med School)
Sam KDC - Symbol 8.1 (Auxiliary)
Abstract Elements - Paranoise (Alphacut)
Helios - Last Dream Called Ocean (Stray rmx) (Med School)
Reso - Check 1,2 (Danny Scrilla rmx) (Civil Music)
S.I.N - Neverending (Med School)
Indigo - Time (Exit Recordings)
Ziro - Oni (Om Unit rmx) (Crazy Legs)
Instra:mental & dBridge - White Snares (Non Plus)
Blu Mar Ten - Last Life In The Universe (Med School)
Instramental & dBridge - Detuned (Darkestral)
Indigo - Symbol 7.3 (Auxiliary)
Commix - City Section (Exit Recordings)
Phaeleh - Afterglo (dBridge's Faded Light rmx) (Afterglo)
Felix K - Ice (31 Records)
ASC - The Touch (Auxiliary)
Dan Habarnam - Rendering The Garlic Boy (Cylon Recordings)

alternative download link -- http://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_Beats_n_Bass_4_DnB_Mix_August_2013.mp3.html

downloading now mark, looks good! will be back with feedback at some point

On this of course (y) perfect Sunday listening I'm sure mate
downloading now mark, looks good! will be back with feedback at some point
Tracklist looks gold, perfect to and from work listening tomorrow
Nice, will give this a spin and jot some thoughts soon

Sound guys! Let me know your thoughts in due course

already halfway through and really enjoying it, good shit

Nice one James! Hope you enjoyed the rest of it :)

All familiar playground, and a slamming tracklist boot. Had to check it out! It's great to see you go through the 170 bpm off-shoots, and I was excited to see what you'd do with it. The gravitas!

The opener is sick. Stashing that on the memory, it needs to be picked up! Spatter craziness with the effects and drumming, while still keeping that minimal vibe but definitely not before 'One,' which significantly reduces to what's advertised in the mainframe. 'When it Rains' is a gorgeous track, not denying that, since BMT's label has been pumping quality that's hard not to dent the wallet. 'Symbol 8.3' is familiar territory, and I do like the well-intentioned overlay in melodies during the mix. It is an outstanding touch, but fades a little of that fantastic impact right around 8:13, where the track switches over leaving 8.3 a little under-peaked, where the tracks heads on to a different movement before undergoing the breakdown. That constant 2/4 thump, thump, thump bass drum has to come in punching through to bring out the track, but that's just me being pedantically picky. I loved that mix, though, and the switch to 'Electric Ridim' was magnificent! It just fills up 8.3 so well heading the set in to darker overtones. Great string of mixes there.

Clawing our way through 'Symbol 7.1,' once again hitting the memory allocations directly. I dig this track, but it's hard to mix this without being overzealous on the fadeout, especially getting out of 'Deadweight,' which is like shuffling a deck of cards and having them go fuck off in to the air. Good job there, I like that you took on that challenge, because, ideally, you'd want one track to be less 'breaky' than the other to properly mix 7.1. Good intent on the vocal direction on 'Sense of Being,' but it feels like a filler before dropping the lovely 'Symbol 8.1,' except that 8.1 hardly gets any play! Hmmm. Trying to compute intent at this point, but 'Paranoise' pretty much gives me a reason why it was cut short (Though I would've preferred some breath in Sam KDC's 8.1 - it's too gorgeous to let it play short). None of the less, good direction flow there heading on to the Helios track, which I definitely need to keep an eye on.

One thing I love are good drops. Gotta point out the drop at 29:07. Was this intentional? It had to be...and if it wasn't, well shit, it worked out flawlessly. Keyed in on the EQ, fresh stab of breaks in 'Check 1,2' before waiting in anticipation of the string of 'Nevernding' -> 'Time' -> 'Oni' -> 'White Snares' -> 'Last Life in the Universe.' Hot damn! Sonic flavoured. Good string of mixes there man, properly positioned and a different feel of the mix all together at this point, taking the listener to a different plateau showing range and not pigeonholing the mix to just minimal flare. 'Detuned' was a good mix from LLitU to bring the set to more ground-level feel and stability from a drum and bass perspective, a 'catch your breath' sort of speak and on to 7.3, which ramps up the energy once more. Again, excellent direction here before going for the closing mixes.

I like that you didn't try to make it crazy at the end with the last string of mixes. I really dig the downflow off 7.3 through 'Rendering the Garlic Boy,' which gives the overall set a theme of hard beats, darker edged moments, and a vocal, smooth pads to close the set. I think that's quite the range of a journey when it comes to mixing. It feels like the set was more than the sum of its parts. Of course, I could hear the mix ups, particularly when mixing in vocal tracks all together, but, that's to be expected in a relatively fast-paced set. Personally, I like to let some tracks breathe a little bit, because there are certain aspects of a producer's intention that probably shouldn't be ignored. However, I like that you were able to catch yourself in those moments (as in Last Life in the Universe where you let the track play through the mix). Not sure if that was intentional, but it shows excellent DJ instinct at the least.

Overall, this is a solid mix with good direction and nice craftsmanship in setting up the tracklist. I had a lot of fun listening to it, and I would like to see what you do in the future with this type of drum and bass.

I mix these kinds of sounds as well, so it's always good to hear other people's interpretations in their sets. I know you gave feedback on Construct 013, but you're more than welcomed to follow me on Soundcloud in the sig. :)

Last edited:
Well what can I say, this is an excellent mix which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Plenty of stuff in there that I haven't heard before or didn't pay much attention to the first time round which B&B 4 has definitely made me sit up and take notice of. I would love to be able to write a techinical overview like most others do on here but I don't think I can live up to most of them ha. What I will say is that i've been having a bit of a hard time of it lately and for the hour that I was listening to this it genuinly lifted my mood (no homo) particularily with some of the more melodic pieces such as When it Rains (will be digging that one out asap) and Sense of Being. I also loved hearing the Indigo and Sam KDC symbol bits (again reminds me I need to try and complete my collection of that excellent series). Great work anyway mate, I look forward to hearing the next one :)

Ok Mark – lets try some feedback for one eerie mix.

Loved the way One sat over Microcosm. When it Rains fitted seamlessly over One to get this mix rolling on a really odd vibe that is quite creepy but I like it. Love Symbol 8.3 – bit annoying it has to be mixed from the start but still made for a cool blend.
Electribe Riddim and Deadweight I commented on your SC last night on my first listen. Stupidly good. Rewound it a few times. Everything fused so well together. Symbol 7.1 created this angry angry mix over Deadweight. Loads going on. Absolute fire pal. Breakdown of 8.1 can hear the little crackles of vinyl…makes everything seem really warm. Nothing beats wax. Can hear Sense of Being moving its way into the mix. Makes for a smooth blend. The vocal is really funky on that tune. One of the reasons I love most of your mixes is I can pick up a few tunes I have never listened to before. Breakdown of Sense of Being is just so cool. Symbol 8.1 is in. back to much more simplistic ambient sounds. The piano in the background is just so soothing. Man you’ve got some serious vibe going on here. Paranoise added some steppy computer like influences into the mix. Not sure if I like this tune or not, just reminds me of playing SNES as a child for some reason. The breakdown sounds absolutely crackers. Anyway onto the Stray remix which is one of my favourite tunes out there. Disappointed this couldn’t be mixed from the start mate…the steppyness of Paranoise worked well with LDCO but felt they could have lasted a little longer in the mix together. Looking through the TL to see what else to expect, not many tunes I know or own bar a few…waiting to hear Check 1,2 and it works really well with the Stray remix, the heavy hits and steppyness fuse well with LDCO. Once again would have liked to hear that mix for a little longer. Really mad tune when it kicks back in. Neverending and its hard crunchy steps have now taken over the mix. Swear I’ve heard this out before. Nice quick blend again, “do you have time for a pleasant experience?” well its been more than that so far. Time next. Much more familiar to me. Love the piano on Neverending that trickles through every now again. Time is poking its way through and hit the breakdown without really noticing a transition. Wicked vibes love this tune. That bassline is kicking. This mix has changed direction so much really been enjoying this a lot. Oni remix next I can hear something making its way into the mix chopping up the steadiness of Time. Really funky mate. Smooth transition again making it seem to someone these two tracks are actually one. Excellent. White Snares and I track I know. Really good mix man. Probably my favourite so far. Everything in the last few mixes seems like a perfect match for each other. Last night listening without a tracklist I just didn’t know where I was in the mix, felt completely lost but in some respects when I listen to this kind of style I like to be taken on some twisted journey not knowing whats coming next. Think it’s the Blu Mar Ten tune I am on now. The bleeping kind of vocal is poking over “oh” “oh” and now we seem to be into something much more sinister growling bass on the breakdown but with a load of ambient sounds. Man this is so funky. (not sure if that was detuned or not) anyway this bleeping oh is building back up with the mad growling bass. Love whatever this is man. Its like making you think its going to drop into something mad but just hangs you there. A beat has made its way into the mix making me think we are moving into a different mix. Think this must be Symbol 7.3. Head nodding stuff man definitely getting an odd look here or there shaking away at my desk. I am really lost in this whole mix waiting for City Section to poke through which I think I can hear? Love the rollyness of it and the funky pads. Finally hearing something I know has got me back on track. Last few tunes I am not sure what or where I was in the TL which is great man. Anyone who doesn’t know these tracks would be completely immersed in the way you have transitioned through the last few tunes (y) Love the cracklyness of the city section breakdown. Warming. Afterglo remix I can hear in the background with the vocal poking over. Funky little blend pal. Still got all the good bits of City Section rolling over the top and Afterglo’s midranges still there as well. Lost a little energy when City Section was taken out but still cool. Ice is really quickly into the mix. Some cracking selection towards the end of this mix. The funky eerie vibe is right back in the ride now. Transition wasn’t as good as some to get to Ice felt it lost a little energy…The Touch has come into the mix really well though and made for a cracking blend fusing the highs of Ice with the bass and midranges of The Touch. Probably one of the best so far. Rendering the Garlic Boy is something I own myself! (although never managed to pop it into a mix) nice way to end this mix to round off something quite sinister and eerie all round. Really soothing all round and when you decided to change up the style you really pulled it off. Only critique I would have would be some of the transitions lost a little bit of energy as the tune was pulled out a bit too quick. Would work on moving the faders in or out for bringing a tune in or out a lot slower so that it doesn’t feel like a tune is appearing all of a sudden or leaving the mix rapidly. Could make for a better transition. Are you on a xone 42 now? Really sounds super crisp through shitty headphones I have hear at work. Sounded mad on my system last night.

Big up Mark – sorry I haven’t done some feedback like this in a while like the old days. For you its thoroughly deserved.

Re: Rifine Beats & Bass 4 - Indigo, dBridge, Dan Habarnam, Stray, Om Unit -100% vinyl

On this. TL looks amazing.

Minimal vibes, yes!

Have a 2 hours car ride tomorrow morning, will get this rolling

Nice one peeps! Let me know what you thought :)

All familiar playground, and a slamming tracklist boot. Had to check it out! It's great to see you go through the 170 bpm off-shoots, and I was excited to see what you'd do with it. The gravitas!

The opener is sick. Stashing that on the memory, it needs to be picked up! Spatter craziness with the effects and drumming, while still keeping that minimal vibe but definitely not before 'One,' which significantly reduces to what's advertised in the mainframe. 'When it Rains' is a gorgeous track, not denying that, since BMT's label has been pumping quality that's hard not to dent the wallet. 'Symbol 8.3' is familiar territory, and I do like the well-intentioned overlay in melodies during the mix. It is an outstanding touch, but fades a little of that fantastic impact right around 8:13, where the track switches over leaving 8.3 a little under-peaked, where the tracks heads on to a different movement before undergoing the breakdown. That constant 2/4 thump, thump, thump bass drum has to come in punching through to bring out the track, but that's just me being pedantically picky. I loved that mix, though, and the switch to 'Electric Ridim' was magnificent! It just fills up 8.3 so well heading the set in to darker overtones. Great string of mixes there.

Clawing our way through 'Symbol 7.1,' once again hitting the memory allocations directly. I dig this track, but it's hard to mix this without being overzealous on the fadeout, especially getting out of 'Deadweight,' which is like shuffling a deck of cards and having them go fuck off in to the air. Good job there, I like that you took on that challenge, because, ideally, you'd want one track to be less 'breaky' than the other to properly mix 7.1. Good intent on the vocal direction on 'Sense of Being,' but it feels like a filler before dropping the lovely 'Symbol 8.1,' except that 8.1 hardly gets any play! Hmmm. Trying to compute intent at this point, but 'Paranoise' pretty much gives me a reason why it was cut short (Though I would've preferred some breath in Sam KDC's 8.1 - it's too gorgeous to let it play short). None of the less, good direction flow there heading on to the Helios track, which I definitely need to keep an eye on.

One thing I love are good drops. Gotta point out the drop at 29:07. Was this intentional? It had to be...and if it wasn't, well shit, it worked out flawlessly. Keyed in on the EQ, fresh stab of breaks in 'Check 1,2' before waiting in anticipation of the string of 'Nevernding' -> 'Time' -> 'Oni' -> 'White Snares' -> 'Last Life in the Universe.' Hot damn! Sonic flavoured. Good string of mixes there man, properly positioned and a different feel of the mix all together at this point, taking the listener to a different plateau showing range and not pigeonholing the mix to just minimal flare. 'Detuned' was a good mix from LLitU to bring the set to more ground-level feel and stability from a drum and bass perspective, a 'catch your breath' sort of speak and on to 7.3, which ramps up the energy once more. Again, excellent direction here before going for the closing mixes.

I like that you didn't try to make it crazy at the end with the last string of mixes. I really dig the downflow off 7.3 through 'Rendering the Garlic Boy,' which gives the overall set a theme of hard beats, darker edged moments, and a vocal, smooth pads to close the set. I think that's quite the range of a journey when it comes to mixing. It feels like the set was more than the sum of its parts. Of course, I could hear the mix ups, particularly when mixing in vocal tracks all together, but, that's to be expected in a relatively fast-paced set. Personally, I like to let some tracks breathe a little bit, because there are certain aspects of a producer's intention that probably shouldn't be ignored. However, I like that you were able to catch yourself in those moments (as in Last Life in the Universe where you let the track play through the mix). Not sure if that was intentional, but it shows excellent DJ instinct at the least.

Overall, this is a solid mix with good direction and nice craftsmanship in setting up the tracklist. I had a lot of fun listening to it, and I would like to see what you do in the future with this type of drum and bass.

I mix these kinds of sounds as well, so it's always good to hear other people's interpretations in their sets. I know you gave feedback on Construct 013, but you're more than welcomed to follow me on Soundcloud in the sig. :)

Wah wah wah DFX! Mass feedback! Cheers man!

Wanted to have that crazy abrupt beat for an intro to one of these B&B's, as its an arse putting it in the middle of the mix somewhere + that whole EP is pretty wicked too. Also some other gems on Alphacut's back catalogue. Yeh, I felt the depth of the mix ease down a bit from When It Rains to Symbol 8.3.... I even had Symbol 8.3 a little higher on the gain to try and compensate for a quieter cut + the 33rpm thing, but even so, I thought it didn't stand out too much. Thanks for the compliments off the end of the first paragraph too! :)

Yeh, ease down Symbol 7.1 with Deadweight as the melodies in the former tune were really pushing through in the transition & its strange how that can be quite a bit louder than Symbol 8.3 mentioned above. Love the way you put that "like shuffling a deck of cards and having them go fuck off in to the air" :) you got a way with words man. Didn't want Sense Of Being to fell like a filler (because it is up there with favourite tunes in this mix) but get where you are coming from.... before diving back into Symbol / autonomic territory + I like a challenge.

The drop at 29:07 was intentional ;) + wanted something to contrast the melody of LDCO rmx, which I thought Check 1, 2 rmx ticked the right boxes. The string you mentioned did fluctuate the styles a little within this sub-genre. Hip-hoppy to ticking, relentless step, snares and cheeky vocal, and yeh, wanted to bring tone of the mix down before getting stuck into the tail end section with Detuned being simple, but effective. I hopefully try to tell a story / take people on a journey with mixes, with a start, middle & end, as I read in someone's Fabric mix cd once that it is nice to take people on a journey with a mix.

And thanks again for more quality kind words at the end! Getting really nice feedback makes my day, as well as seeing such a positive response this has had in such a short space of time :) Should be more up your street coming soon + bags of ideas along these lines for forthcoming episodes :D

- - - Updated - - -

Well what can I say, this is an excellent mix which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Plenty of stuff in there that I haven't heard before or didn't pay much attention to the first time round which B&B 4 has definitely made me sit up and take notice of. I would love to be able to write a techinical overview like most others do on here but I don't think I can live up to most of them ha. What I will say is that i've been having a bit of a hard time of it lately and for the hour that I was listening to this it genuinly lifted my mood (no homo) particularily with some of the more melodic pieces such as When it Rains (will be digging that one out asap) and Sense of Being. I also loved hearing the Indigo and Sam KDC symbol bits (again reminds me I need to try and complete my collection of that excellent series). Great work anyway mate, I look forward to hearing the next one :)

Cheers Matty! :) Thought this would be right up your street, as I know you love a bit of this style.

You said things hadn't been the best when we spoke, but pleased I could brighten your mood a bit mate. Its nice when music can make you feel a certain way, and tried to get the series going again with a fair few melodic tunes in hear, leaving the more heavy hitters for later on. When It Rains is such a nice tune, made my friend aware of it in China and he said he had it on repeat for a good 30 mins walking around the streets over there in the rain and it was such an amazing piece of music. Sense Of Being for me made me shiver with enjoyment the first few times I actually mixed it, and still has to be one of, if not my favourite minimal melodic tune (those vocals are really special too).

Thanks again for the compliments! :) Trying to get a new episode done every 4 weeks + hope you like the next one!

The Watcha brings out the best in everybody's feedback.

:D cheers man!

definitly will be giving this a listen

Nice one Danny!

Stu, working on returning some words. Will get back to you tomorrow mate

Re: Rifine Beats & Bass 4 - Indigo, dBridge, Dan Habarnam, Stray, Om Unit -100% vinyl

tried to get the series going again with a fair few melodic tunes in hear, leaving the more heavy hitters for later on.

I mean "tried to get the series going again with a fair few melodic tunes in hear, leaving the more heavy hitters for future episodes."

Ok Mark – lets try some feedback for one eerie mix.

Loved the way One sat over Microcosm. When it Rains fitted seamlessly over One to get this mix rolling on a really odd vibe that is quite creepy but I like it. Love Symbol 8.3 – bit annoying it has to be mixed from the start but still made for a cool blend.
Electribe Riddim and Deadweight I commented on your SC last night on my first listen. Stupidly good. Rewound it a few times. Everything fused so well together. Symbol 7.1 created this angry angry mix over Deadweight. Loads going on. Absolute fire pal. Breakdown of 8.1 can hear the little crackles of vinyl…makes everything seem really warm. Nothing beats wax. Can hear Sense of Being moving its way into the mix. Makes for a smooth blend. The vocal is really funky on that tune. One of the reasons I love most of your mixes is I can pick up a few tunes I have never listened to before. Breakdown of Sense of Being is just so cool. Symbol 8.1 is in. back to much more simplistic ambient sounds. The piano in the background is just so soothing. Man you’ve got some serious vibe going on here. Paranoise added some steppy computer like influences into the mix. Not sure if I like this tune or not, just reminds me of playing SNES as a child for some reason. The breakdown sounds absolutely crackers. Anyway onto the Stray remix which is one of my favourite tunes out there. Disappointed this couldn’t be mixed from the start mate…the steppyness of Paranoise worked well with LDCO but felt they could have lasted a little longer in the mix together. Looking through the TL to see what else to expect, not many tunes I know or own bar a few…waiting to hear Check 1,2 and it works really well with the Stray remix, the heavy hits and steppyness fuse well with LDCO. Once again would have liked to hear that mix for a little longer. Really mad tune when it kicks back in. Neverending and its hard crunchy steps have now taken over the mix. Swear I’ve heard this out before. Nice quick blend again, “do you have time for a pleasant experience?” well its been more than that so far. Time next. Much more familiar to me. Love the piano on Neverending that trickles through every now again. Time is poking its way through and hit the breakdown without really noticing a transition. Wicked vibes love this tune. That bassline is kicking. This mix has changed direction so much really been enjoying this a lot. Oni remix next I can hear something making its way into the mix chopping up the steadiness of Time. Really funky mate. Smooth transition again making it seem to someone these two tracks are actually one. Excellent. White Snares and I track I know. Really good mix man. Probably my favourite so far. Everything in the last few mixes seems like a perfect match for each other. Last night listening without a tracklist I just didn’t know where I was in the mix, felt completely lost but in some respects when I listen to this kind of style I like to be taken on some twisted journey not knowing whats coming next. Think it’s the Blu Mar Ten tune I am on now. The bleeping kind of vocal is poking over “oh” “oh” and now we seem to be into something much more sinister growling bass on the breakdown but with a load of ambient sounds. Man this is so funky. (not sure if that was detuned or not) anyway this bleeping oh is building back up with the mad growling bass. Love whatever this is man. Its like making you think its going to drop into something mad but just hangs you there. A beat has made its way into the mix making me think we are moving into a different mix. Think this must be Symbol 7.3. Head nodding stuff man definitely getting an odd look here or there shaking away at my desk. I am really lost in this whole mix waiting for City Section to poke through which I think I can hear? Love the rollyness of it and the funky pads. Finally hearing something I know has got me back on track. Last few tunes I am not sure what or where I was in the TL which is great man. Anyone who doesn’t know these tracks would be completely immersed in the way you have transitioned through the last few tunes (y) Love the cracklyness of the city section breakdown. Warming. Afterglo remix I can hear in the background with the vocal poking over. Funky little blend pal. Still got all the good bits of City Section rolling over the top and Afterglo’s midranges still there as well. Lost a little energy when City Section was taken out but still cool. Ice is really quickly into the mix. Some cracking selection towards the end of this mix. The funky eerie vibe is right back in the ride now. Transition wasn’t as good as some to get to Ice felt it lost a little energy…The Touch has come into the mix really well though and made for a cracking blend fusing the highs of Ice with the bass and midranges of The Touch. Probably one of the best so far. Rendering the Garlic Boy is something I own myself! (although never managed to pop it into a mix) nice way to end this mix to round off something quite sinister and eerie all round. Really soothing all round and when you decided to change up the style you really pulled it off. Only critique I would have would be some of the transitions lost a little bit of energy as the tune was pulled out a bit too quick. Would work on moving the faders in or out for bringing a tune in or out a lot slower so that it doesn’t feel like a tune is appearing all of a sudden or leaving the mix rapidly. Could make for a better transition. Are you on a xone 42 now? Really sounds super crisp through shitty headphones I have hear at work. Sounded mad on my system last night.

Big up Mark – sorry I haven’t done some feedback like this in a while like the old days. For you its thoroughly deserved.

Jeez Stu! You had your Weetabix yesterday morning!

You could hear what I was trying to do with an unorthodox kind of intro, before getting on the melodies. Really pleased you liked Electribe Riddim - Deadweight.... one of my fav mixes in there. Tried to get the groaning bass of Deadweight to compliment something with more high end percussion, and the jukey drums of Electribe Riddim just seamed to be just right. Didn't intend Symbol 7.1 to make the mix go on an angry direction, but again another fav mix in this episode :) Really love Sense Of Being (as mentioned in the paragraph above) and thanks for the compliment (1 or 2 gems to come in future B&B episodes ;) ).

Yeh, you said that its good to listen to mixes where you might not be completely aware of the tunes. Usually some nice surprises + opens your mind to music you might not normally listen to. I thought I had heard Neverending before when I first heard it. Familiar sounding tune + you got that there were some underlying subliminal messages in the mix :D wasn't planning on it, but the vocal in Neverending seemed to suit this mix + there is a vocal in Detuned where is says about the "dawn of a new communications era" or something...... thought that suited getting the series going again too. Played the mix in the car the other day with my dad too & he said he though there was only one tune playing when Time & Oni rmx were in. Really like that mix myself too :)

Also the penultimate mix with Ice & The Touch was another favourite....... wanted the percussion in both those tunes to be complimenting to each other & I believe they did just that. Yeh, the transitions are something I need to work on. Didn't think they all sounded too abrupt, but some were quicker than others. Need to ease them in and out slower for easier listening. And yes I am rocking a Xone 42 now. Was really pleased with the improvement in sound quality when mixing (can hear some elements in tunes that I couldn't hear before) + the crispness in the recording, and overall really impressed as a worthy upgrade / investment in mixing :)

No need for apologies. Thanks for all the kind words and your compliments mate! Hope you can tune in for B&B 5

big mix man, thought all the mixing was really smooth and liked the layback minimal sound, can't wait to get mosaic vol 2 now haha (pre-ordered it ages ago but still waiting for a few releases to come out before they ship my order)

On it dude, tracklist looks mad.
Wah that Danny Scrilla Reso remix is a track I literally picked up last night! Be good to see how you put it in the mix, reckon it'll be included in my next one for sure.

Right feedback time.
Well worth the wait for this one mate, absolutely loved it.
I can tell you worked really hard on the tracklist as well (either that or your off the cuff selection is through the roof!) as everything flowed so, so well.
Don't think there's a track I don't like in this mix, was particularly impressed with the Symbol 8.3 - Paranoise section. Everything here was mixed so flawlessly, you managed to do something I love doing and that's finding tunes that work so well together they can basically be played over the top of each other from start to finish.
Alot of standout mixes in this but I really liked Electric Riddim - Deadweight. It's that proper half time, 80's vibe Om Unit has into the aggressive, growlier Deadweight, sounded wicked.
Check 1,2 into Neverending was quality, Neverending is actually another tune im planning on using in my next mix!
Was nice to hear alot of the older mosaic bits in here as well, City Section & Time for example.
ASC's the Touch into Rendering the Garlic Boy was a mix I saw and thought, will that work... turned out it did so so well so was a wicked little outro.

Overall, the whole mix was fantastic, especially for 100% vinyl, but im sure you knew I was going to dig it based on the tracklist alone. Makes me miss doing my Autonomic ones!
Honesty can't really fault it, will be playing this for a long time to come. I think if I was being really picky and you wanted criticism the intro mix, Microcosm - One, became a little messy at times, but I think that was just the tracks not the mixing.
Big up Watcha! Cannot wait for #5

Back
Top Bottom