[ Richie Stix ] - Rock 'n' Rolla

that vocal is a bit low in the mix, i couldnt work out what it was saying. liked the strings tho. drums need to be straithened imho, dont got the punch they would need with that bassline imho.

mixdown isnt already there aswell, doesnt sound that controlled at times, but for the first draw, i think it was quite good!

all taken on board ;) punchy drums seem to be the bane of my life... anyone recomend a good sample pack?

vocals seemed alright to me... but i bet it's cos i'm on phones again, and they seem to accentuate vocals in a mixdown!

no mate, you nearly got it nailed with your drums imho, but they always sound like you didnt work clean enough (ie cut the ends of the snares if one was longer than the other).

edit: regarding mixdown and headphones. hps exaggerate left to right movement, and vocals often get processed with chorus and reverb..

Wicked b-line Stix.

Vocal sample could use a bit of volume though yeah. Haven't got enough technical knowledge to say any more.

Well done on "The Creature" as well, first time I've had a listen to it.

Last edited:
no mate, you nearly got it nailed with your drums imho, but they always sound like you didnt work clean enough (ie cut the ends of the snares if one was longer than the other).

edit: regarding mixdown and headphones. hps exaggerate left to right movement, and vocals often get processed with chorus and reverb..

cheers groelle, really helpful! so if i have understood what you are saying (in bold), high passing the vocals will make them loose clarity (due to exagertaed movement) and therefore perceived volume?

looks like i better get in da studio later and really work on the 'cleaning up' my drums with eq and the such!

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

cheers groelle, really helpful! so if i have understood what you are saying (in bold), high passing the vocals will make them loose clarity (due to exagertaed movement) and therefore perceived volume?

looks like i better get in da studio later and really work on the 'cleaning up' my drums with eq and the such!

EDIT: just realised when you wrote hps you meant headphones! yeah, will look into that!

Hmm....If I'm totally honest, it's not your best piece. It still has the quality signature bassline that I have come to expect from you, but just doesnt deliver like your tracks usually do. I cant put my finger on why......it just doesnt make me pull that "fuck yeah" face like your other pieces do.

Hmm....If I'm totally honest, it's not your best piece. It still has the quality signature bassline that I have come to expect from you, but just doesnt deliver like your tracks usually do. I cant put my finger on why......it just doesnt make me pull that "fuck yeah" face like your other pieces do.

thanks for the honesty mate... been struggling with ideas recently and the last two tracks i have made have felt a bit 'forced'!

any ideas on what would give it that, dare i say it, 'x factor'?

I feel ya pain my friend. I've been struggling for a long time now, especially in drum and bass. I seem to be finding dubstep easier right now, although I have just pushed out a new drum and bass track today!

As for ideas for ya.....I have none lol! I dont have any ideas for me, let alone anyone elses tracks lol! ;)

The intro, that pad, the vocal, wicked, right up to the point of impact...wants to fuckin rock. Awesome. Then I'm not feeling it after that. You've tried a different drum pattern, which is cool but there's something about the four bar pattern that lessens the 'impact' I reckon. And the bassline sounds adequate but not wonderful.

If it was mine I'd re-write it after the drop, because with that vocal sample and the intro you could make yourself quite a memorable little piece imho.

not bad man, drums sound good i like... agree that other drums cud bring more energy though!, the bassline is too distorted and not fine tuned well enough for me, sounds too muddy with distrortion rather than havin a growl to it its more of a meow, thats a harsh metaphor but i think ull get what i mean haha :)
intro is good man, just need to tweak the bassline and rearange drums imo!

the same as with all your tunes. sounding pretty good so far, i like the intro - and the vocals come through nicely now - and i like the drop. but after that it gets pretty stale. you really need to work in more sound fx things, more little bleeps and blops to keep the listener interested and to bring some elements into the hiend.

you really need to get on monitors mate. dunno what the thing with your drums is, they sound pretty good, but not as good as they could be. hm. my drums start to act that way too if im on headphones. dunno how to describe it further tbh..

big ups

cheers groelle... i like to think that a poor workman blames his tools, but my production tools suck!

basicly, the reason i never add sound fx and bleepy bits is my computers processor is waaaaay to rinsed out by that stage in the track to be able to process the sounds!

Back
Top Bottom