Resampling

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Ok... we all know what this is for so lets get on with it.

Right... I have a bassline set up n sounding ok... but I'm a little stuck with what to do next... It's a bit bland ya see. I was wondering what are the main 'creative' things that I can do to my bassline to really give it some nice flow?

I'm kinda lookin at the basslines that Break used in his "Resistence" album and most tracks from the likes of Ulterior Motive, Zero T, Misanthrop... that lot.

I dont understand how they make the melodies. I can make the sounds... thats not the hard part. It's making it seem like it's flowing and actually making music.

Grrrrr.... doing my head in!

My beats are sounding ok though ;)

Are those youre WIP's on thekilljoy sound cloud? Sounds like your on you way already dude?! No-one could ever really tell you how to write a melody I suppose. That just comes from your ear and your musical ability, something I've always had, I'm hear how to learn how to produce.

Your tunes sound better than any of mine at the moment you maybe need to learn a bit of music theory? Understand chord progressions as melodies will essential follow a chord pattern of some kind, they are just the lead you put on top. When learning Theory its very boring and often involves classical music but thats what all music of today was really based upon, its the roots of EVERYTHING musical, certainly in the western world anyway. Have a look at Sonic Academy I know they do theory lessons and they're more based on the Electronic/Dance world.

Maybe work on a chord progression and then listen to your musical innards and let the influence flow. A keyboard is something you need to have to hand if not already, I'm sure you do.

With music I always follow the rule of, Start with a solid and great foundation, then just work you way up. Try different things even if they sound crap at first, if you've got your chords underneath then your melodies should always follow the same pattern.

Although the thread was entitled Resampling it sounds more of a musical questions. Whether this helps you or not I hope it helps someone out there....

Cheers dude. Yeah it's all my stuff on the killjoy page

Yeah my music theory is shite. Just need to get better at the bassline/melody stuff.

That's kind of what I meant but at the same time, if you listen to all of the tracks that I mentioned in the OP then you kinda realise that they all have a flow that's a bit more involved within the sound of the bass as opposed to the melody itself. That make sense?

Lol I realise that I'm talking shit but I hope y'all can sorta see where I'm coming from?

in interviews they always talk about funk being their influence as the music talks to itself with kinda like call n response stuff, very hard to do with basslines, im in the same boat.

I get what you're saying and yes it all comes down to Theory. Check out that Sonic Academy that maybe worth looking at, pretty good production vids as well!

I'm lucky to have a musical family, Head of a music teacher for a mum and a guitarist for a dad. As much as I hated them for it at the time I was brought up learning Piano and Theory from the age of 4 and although at the time it was a chore. I'm so glad I have that knowledge now!

Get yourself a solid bass line, this will essentially be your chord pattern. Then maybe on a Mid range synth of some kind develop some chords, use your ears that sound good. Then right a melody on top, again trust your ears, if you listen to music at least you will know what sounds good together....

In the mean time check out Sonic Soundstage Theory lessons OR if you want to go all out, The Associated Board Theory Grades 1-8! These are the basis of any music education, its what I learned from a really young age all the way up, boring as fuck but will help anyone understand music better!

Back
Top Bottom