Ram.. am i going mad???

Don't like anything on that EP. Infact, I haven't really liked anything out of Ram for the last 5 years or so, with the exception of 1 or 2 tunes. Andy and Ant need to pull their finger out and apply some quality control.

Actually, many of the big labels seem to have no quality control, Hospital are other examples of an overflow of shite. Could it be that our scene is fully changing for the worse and shite tunes are the flavor of the day, or could it be that money talks and shite tunes are easy to market to kids on pills?
I'm not saying there aren't good tunes out there, far from it. Its just that the big labels responsible for forming the scene years ago are now shit or bust. Ram, Moving Shadow, V Recordings, Hospital, Full Cycle, TOV/Renegade, the list goes on. The only ones I can think of that are still put something decent out are Metalheadz (even though they had a bit of a squiffy period just before their current resurgence) and Soul:R

My two cents.

Couldnt agree more...

Although labels are under pressure to put out what sells... not good music ... a lot of people who put out these tunes i dont think would by them themselves..lol

Its all about who buys tunes and the music on vinyl.... a mental jump up tune that got all the pill head kids at Random Concept rinsing out is gonna sell untis .. all about energy and big drops not atmosphere... Screamer is put hands in the air stuff like i said but it has no substance..it doenst take you anywhere.

Headz are always on point.. by far the most consistant label in the scene over time.

Its like once the tune drops thats it... you just wait for the next build and drop... Where as tunes that creep up on you like that Icicle tune or like Metalheadz stuff have so much logevity. The sad thing is though that even Headz dont sell as many units as they used to!

What the fuck happened to V and all that camp??... Its all this big wave of crap music that seems to have swept in the last few years and polluted the big labels. Ram used to put out amazing tunes and were as quality as Headz in many ways ... V as well. Titan, No Reality, Molten Beats, Turbulence, The Beginning ,.. .. they had a definitive sound back then..

Its all about the smaller labels these days that are picking up the slack. Got to say one label to look out for DNAudio... big big tunes from Silent Witness, Break, Squire etc...

anyone like the frequenyc bits - such as KG etc??

U
I've got to admit that i'm not a big lover of the majority of Frequency releases on the whole although i see it as a platform to sign new talent who have the raw skills but need to develop them further to progress up the ladder and release on RAM.

anyone like the frequenyc bits - such as KG etc??

U

Yeah I'm into frequency, I'll always have a listen to anything that comes out on that, might not always buy it, but think it's a nice little half way house for producers who might one day end up getting releases on Ram

last big release for me on Ram was Signal.. thinking about it that was the last big release for Fresh that i actually liked too ..lol.

last big release for me on Ram was Signal.. thinking about it that was the last big release for Fresh that i actually liked too ..lol.

now come on...

Not even "Swamp Thing?"

are you seriously saying that you're not into ANY of these - I've highlighted some particular suggestions...

RAMM48 Various Artists Ram Raiders - Part 4 2x12" 2004
RAMM51 Fresh Colossus / Hooded 12" 2004

RAMM52 Nightbreed Pack Of Wolves (Remix) 12" 2004
RAMM52S Nightbreed Pack Of Wolves 7" 2004
RAMM53 Fresh Twister / Capture The Flag 12" 2004
RAMM54C Sub Focus X-Ray / Scarecrow 12" 2007
RAMM55 Shimon Jazz Freak / Malice 12" 2005
RAMM55P Shimon Jazz Freak / Gunslinger 12" 2005
RAMM55PAA Shimon Gunslinger 12" 2005
RAMM56 Sparfunk & Joe Solo Rapture / Blazin' Jazz 12" 2005
RAMM57 Sub Focus Frozen Solid / Juno 12" 2005
RAMM57CD Sub Focus Frozen Solid / X-Ray CD 2005
RAMM57P Sub Focus Frozen Solid / Juno 12" 2005
RAMM59 Noisia & Mayhem Facade / Moonway Renegade 12"
RAMM60 Sub Focus Airplane / Flamenco 12" 2006
RAMM61 Various Artists The Dimensions EP - Part 2 2x12" 2006
RAMM62 Shimon The Shadow Knows EP 2x12" 2006
RAMM63 Sub Focus Special Place / Druggy 12" 2007
RAMM64 Chase & Status Dumpling Riddim / Disco 12" 2007
RAMM65 Xample & Lomax Lowdown / The Latter 12" 2007

RAMM66 Culture Shock (2) The Third Stage EP 2x12" 2007
RAMM66Y Culture Shock (2) Rework / Zeppelin 12" 2007
RAMM67 Noisia & Gridlok Facade / Skanka 12" 2007
RAMM68 Chase & Status Hurt You / Sell Me Your Soul 12" 2007
RAMM68P Chase & Status Hurt You / Sell Me Your Soul 12" 2007
RAMM69 Xample Get Out Clause / Infamous

now come on...

Not even "Swamp Thing?"

are you seriously saying that you're not into ANY of these - I've highlighted some particular suggestions...

RAMM48 Various Artists Ram Raiders - Part 4 2x12" 2004
RAMM51 Fresh Colossus / Hooded 12" 2004
RAMM52 Nightbreed Pack Of Wolves (Remix) 12" 2004
RAMM52S Nightbreed Pack Of Wolves 7" 2004
RAMM53 Fresh Twister / Capture The Flag 12" 2004
RAMM54C Sub Focus X-Ray / Scarecrow 12" 2007
RAMM55 Shimon Jazz Freak / Malice 12" 2005
RAMM55P Shimon Jazz Freak / Gunslinger 12" 2005
RAMM55PAA Shimon Gunslinger 12" 2005
RAMM56 Sparfunk & Joe Solo Rapture / Blazin' Jazz 12" 2005
RAMM57 Sub Focus Frozen Solid / Juno 12" 2005
RAMM57CD Sub Focus Frozen Solid / X-Ray CD 2005
RAMM57P Sub Focus Frozen Solid / Juno 12" 2005
RAMM59 Noisia & Mayhem Facade / Moonway Renegade 12"
RAMM60 Sub Focus Airplane / Flamenco 12" 2006
RAMM61 Various Artists The Dimensions EP - Part 2 2x12" 2006
RAMM62 Shimon The Shadow Knows EP 2x12" 2006
RAMM63 Sub Focus Special Place / Druggy 12" 2007
RAMM64 Chase & Status Dumpling Riddim / Disco 12" 2007
RAMM65 Xample & Lomax Lowdown / The Latter 12" 2007
RAMM66 Culture Shock (2) The Third Stage EP 2x12" 2007
RAMM66Y Culture Shock (2) Rework / Zeppelin 12" 2007
RAMM67 Noisia & Gridlok Facade / Skanka 12" 2007
RAMM68 Chase & Status Hurt You / Sell Me Your Soul 12" 2007
RAMM68P Chase & Status Hurt You / Sell Me Your Soul 12" 2007
RAMM69 Xample Get Out Clause / Infamous
I'm behind you on this one brother...
What a back catalogue!
Andy and Scott have got it pretty spot on in my opinion.

There's a load of others that you didn't highlight which are friends of mine's releases that deserve a mention...but here's a couple that really are class...
AIRPLANE!!!! Future Classic!
REWORK - Big up Nick, James, Dan and Phill.....The future of RAM

There's a load of others that you didn't highlight which are friends of mine's releases that deserve a mention...but here's a couple that really are class...
AIRPLANE!!!! Future Classic!
REWORK - Big up Nick, James, Dan and Phill.....The future of RAM

For sure - I'm into both of those, was just pointing out some of the more obvious ones - I particularly like culture shock's stuff (for some reason the list I found didn't have vice chase/asteroid on, which is one of my favourites...)

TBH I'd be hard pushed to find anything on Ram that I'm not into in some way....

Ok.. Farcade was OK.

But its that horrible subfocussy / Pendulumy squelchy sound that BBK and Ram are into i just dont like... not saying they arent well produced but just not my thing..

Signal was sooooo fucking heavy though.. lol hard to better it. but except Facade and Hurt you i havnt bought any of those. And Hurt You is obvioulsy a huuuge tune but again its not really what im into y'know.

its brilliantg A+R'ing dont get me wrong.. thye put out tunes that sell.. but where the fuck has the Ram sound gone??

Last edited:
but where the fuck has the Ram sound gone??

ahh man, i know it's a shame, but i spend time on here slaggin' off guys who stick to one sound and rinse it till they bore the shit out of the raving public. maybe it was right for ram to evolve. their hayday may never be bettered in my opinion. there was a time when i bought a piece of ram wax on sight. but if they were still pumping out tunes exactly like the stuff from late nineties and early naughties, i'm sure i'd have something to say about that.

things progress man, sound changes, it's hard to maintian a particular sound that existed 5-10 years ago

Exactly - why would a label want to keep it's sound the same for years like that? People just start moaning that there's no new sounds and stop buying, all music labels and acts need to progress if they want to survive.

If Ram had just spent the last 10 years trying to release another "Turbulence" they would've gone the way of all those other labels, and we wouldn't be talking about them now...

I think the thing that I like about Ram the most is it's progressiveness, and OK sometimes you might not like something the first time round, but next thing you know the new sounds grown on you, you love it, becomes a classic and ends up in the record bag, probably at the front - near "Turbulence"!

Spot on mate.

Is there a more diverse label out there who has progressed through the years? From the early stuff to the later 90's I think its amazing how a label can continue to re-invent itself and still be so innovative and please so many people.

things progress man, sound changes, it's hard to maintian a particular sound that existed 5-10 years ago
I echo what this man says.
We've got the best of both worlds...any old Ram classic still sounds great and can be played by any DJ in any set today so we still have the old sound in circulation, then we have the new Ram sound which is the likes of Subfocus, Culture Shock and Xample etc. A huge portion of Andy's sets are the new stuff and old Ram classics. Sounds changing is a good thing.....remember when Bad Company wrote planet Dust??!! It gave the scene a totally new sound which every DJ, Produer and raver was buzzing about. Big, Gritty Reesey sounds. Thats what its all about...keep the scene progressing by introducing new sounds and styles.

lol.. yeah i know...

nice one...peeps...you are missing my point.. . obvioussly the music has to evolve...but its just a mess right now.

i dont really think Ram have an indenifiable sound imo these days ..it could be any generic label just slightly better quality.. But look at that EP..its just a mish mash.. no real audio idenitity....

bottom line is i dont like what they are putting out. sorry! lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom