Pitching Up Tunes

I tend to start at 0 unless I know the tune I'm starting with is quite slow.

The problem with starting at plus 2,3,4 etc is that when you change a tracks tempo by +/- 4% you are noticeable change the key of the track too which can make some songs sound weird.

I usually just start out with no pitch adjustments but I have been getting more into starting my mixes at a faster rate to speed up the whole mix, its annoying when you mixing at normal rate then you have a really fast song and have to slow it down shitloads then all the tracks are slow n boring lol

just slowly speed up the output deck, it creates a little rush and isn't a bad move.

I think varying pitches is good, creates different vibes and should be done to suit the tune you are playing.

it seems some of you seem to think that you can't vary the pitch too much...

there are so many points in a tune, breakdowns etc. where you can get creative and find ways to alter the pitch that only the most trained ears would notice.

Just wondering what pitch do you make your sets at? I tend to pitch up all my tunes to 180bpm when im mixin and have seen/heard a fair amount of dnb dj's doing this. I sometimes find this too fast when im listening to a mix ive done but when im mixing 175 seems to slow:S maybe il make sets at 175ish or just start mixin at halfway between at 178, i dont have my decks near me so i cant have a mix right now

you're thinking about it way too much. deejaying is instinct based. who gives a fuck what pitch i start my records on? even i don't care. more often than not i don't even change it when i get in the mix form the last tune i dropped when i last had a mix.

sorry mate, what do you mean by this? surely not that you don't change the pitch at all?

yeah, basically i mean that the pitch stays at the same it was as the very last record played last time i was in the mix.

do you find it blasphemous? or does it really not matter at all?

yeah, basically i mean that the pitch stays at the same it was as the very last record played last time i was in the mix.

do you find it blasphemous? or does it really not matter at all?

ahh seen. basically if you had a little sesh on tuesday and it finished level (pitch wise) youll just pick it up from there?

thats cool man, im the same. as i said, i like to vary mine throughout the set. but am not a fan of the high tempo as i'm more liquid based.

you're thinking about it way too much. deejaying is instinct based. who gives a fuck what pitch i start my records on? even i don't care. more often than not i don't even change it when i get in the mix form the last tune i dropped when i last had a mix.

I care. It maybe true about instict based and all but I have found that I prefer listening to dnb at a certain speed maybe its me but I seem to prefer 178ish for mixes, and 180 sounds sweet live. So just picking any random pitch position more often than not its either gonna sound too fast or too slow (for my liking anyway)

Back
Top Bottom