People who play out - set planning

im not talking frome xperience but i have read alot. its not good to plan the whol e set for a night you may be doing. its always good to have mixes in mind. if your playing a track, always have 5 other tracks after that, that you know you can move into. this way, whichever way the crowd reacts, you sshould be able to follow. ita aight to maybe plan an intro or an outro, even what double drops you'll be doing. go with the flow on the night tho. the whole club may not be into machete.

yeh thats what i thouggt

i was thinking mayby people who play out have like 10 sets / mixes in their head. if the one theyre playing isnt doing it for the crowd, blend it in with another set in your head. But mayby they adlib as well

its just coz i saw a picture of taxman, or twisted individual , i cant member who, n they where lookin at a piece of paper that had a tracklist on it. looked like they where doing this set around this

i NEVER NEVER plan a set. i get there 2 hrs early, listen to the djs and what they're playing (to avoid repetition).. assess the mood and 'feel' of the people there.. and then by the time i'm due to start i've got some idea of what my first tune is going to be... once i see their reaction to the first one i've then got some idea of where i want to take it. never ever plan a set. djs are there for the punters, only for the punters, so you play for THEM.... therefore if ure planning sets in advance youre not exactly responding to what the crowd are feeling or doing.

i take easily 120 tunes for a 1 hr set. everything covered. job done!

:D

Last time I played out (about my 2nd time ever in a proper club), I turned up with my record bag all arranged with the tunes I wanted to start off with at the front all the way to the back with what I wanted to finish on... First tune in the bag was jump up 'cos I pre-empted what the crowd was like... Got there and the guy before me played a bit of jump up, then went into Racing Green by High Contrast and the place went MENTAL. Cocked up my planned set. Fortunately I had a good mix of tunes and he had a few that I knew so I borrowed them, and I played mostly liquid/jungly stuff for the whole of my set, despite bringing down a bag mostly full of jump up and darker style tunes.

My lesson learned was: Next time take twice as many records as you need to do the set and cover all the styles that you play... At the end of the day there is no telling what the crowd will be like on the night so be prepared.

As my old man would say: Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance :D

djs are there for the punters, only for the punters, so you play for THEM

big part of the reason i dont want to be a dj
i looked to please myself when i mixed fuck everyone else :D

Last time I played out (about my 2nd time ever in a proper club), I turned up with my record bag all arranged with the tunes I wanted to start off with at the front all the way to the back with what I wanted to finish on... First tune in the bag was jump up 'cos I pre-empted what the crowd was like... Got there and the guy before me played a bit of jump up, then went into Racing Green by High Contrast and the place went MENTAL. Cocked up my planned set. Fortunately I had a good mix of tunes and he had a few that I knew so I borrowed them, and I played mostly liquid/jungly stuff for the whole of my set, despite bringing down a bag mostly full of jump up and darker style tunes.

My lesson learned was: Next time take twice as many records as you need to do the set and cover all the styles that you play... At the end of the day there is no telling what the crowd will be like on the night so be prepared.

As my old man would say: Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance :D

Nice one for that mate.. seems pretty wise..

say thanks 2 ur old man 2 haha! Words of wisdom right there!

In a word no!
I have mixes that I know work well and I know particular directions I can move in depending on the crowd.

cheers for input, apart from useless comment from dustek lol

Yeh fully agree, waste of space most of the time!

Anyways i wouldnt plan sets, just make sure you have a collection of records with loadsa good mixes for each tune. I rinse my new vinyl to death when i get them, find a few good tunes that work with that one, then you'll always (bar a few) have a really good set to put down. Doesnt always turn out that way but thats life.

Also play what your comfortable with, dnt try anything too crazy when your first starting out, remember you aint Andy C lol!

haha yeh. a problem i have when i do the first few tracks at parties,or for mates or summin is i rush to mix lol ends up sounding wank. i think i need to think less about what im doing n just go with the vibe that im playing.

What can I say apart from 1) fuck you and 2) fuck you with a particular emphasis on waste-of-space Russla, obviously can't understand what I'm saying most of the fucking time. Could I just repeat that - fuck you.

why is it always dustek whos a wanker. why cant he apreciate people asking questions.

everything people ask, or any newbies has had a bad/ negative answer from dustek.

mayby he should sort it out. n contribute something.

if u wana have a laugh thats ok, if u wana be a wanker, save it for waffle

its not what these forums are about.i love these nerds that act all big on here its great. not.

im sure ill get a sarky/stupid/ offensive reply to this.

Back
Top Bottom