Opinions on Digital DJing vs Turntables / CDJs / snobbery

for me its all about turntables...however with the state of clubs these days CDJs are definitely the more viable option and i would probably recommend them over tables.
when it comes to DVS, if the turntables in a club are in shit condition, DVS isn't going to improve on that, just saves lugging a bag of vinyl round with you.

I dont know a single other Vinyl DJ in my hometown, everybody round here uses CDJ's purely for the all round money saving compared to forking out £6 per vinyl. My only gripe with CDJ's is that everybody who seems to have them seems to try and convince me to switch formats and I'm never entirely sure why they feel the need to preach, on paper CDJ's easily outdo Vinyl with the extras, but they both do the same thing when it comes down to it and I'm just happy with start/stop and pitch control.

Do what works for u man!!! If it make ur sets better fuck it lol
I like to use everything vinyl cd mp3 laptops anything may b just coz am greedy like that lol

To be honest I think the reason this snobbery exists is because it's partly true. If you're a great DJ on a controller, then fair enough, but the simple fact is that most people on controllers are young djs, people who aren't that serious about it (not wanting to spend the money on vinyl, turntables, cdjs etc) and therefore generally aren't as skilled.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit what medium your on, but when I see someone on a controller I can't help but assume they're a less skilled dj then someone who turns up with a big bag full of vinyl and looks more invested in it, it's just common sense. Although obviously there's the 'all the gear and no idea' exceptions.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with being more of a beginner dj and we've all gotta be exactly that at some point, but a lot of people start playing in clubs way too early if you ask me and it does disrespect the trade slightly. If you're tearing it out, can beat match, have good selection and the crowd are loving it then be on floppy disks for all I care.

oh and no percentage on turntables? better switch on your eyes - and syncing a tune thats 175 bpm with another one thats 175 bpm isnt rocket science anyways, whether it be with a "bpm counter" (never seen one that worked with dnb either..). turntables or even two youtube windows.....

No two turntables are calibrated the same though. Meaning that even if they are the same bpm its still a case of beatmatching and finding the right pitch. But yeah discussion is old. When people mix without any skill its boring.

to me vinyl djing is a lost art..... i dj on ice cold and im only vinyl dj on there... to what ive seen.... well me and my brother...
id never switch over....... to me .. when you get a vinyl record ..... like the orignal copy... of a tune you love .. just cant beat that...
hate the way ..... theres no vinyl djs left.... now you get cds ... scartto ...... mps phones laptops...
maybe im a bit snobby... if you cant mix on vinyl ..ant proper dj........ prob get alot of haters out there but just what i think... like i saw this girl(pro dj) all sexy all hot.... bitch cant even mix on vinyl... said she wouldnt know how to even turn it on!!! i mean wtf....
and whats it like mixing on these formats... ive seen alot and theres no skill at all..... whats cds like? few of my cd mates says it half beatmatchs for you.... thats weak.... the age of vinyl has been and gone and ... there wrong! vinyl was specical and amazing...... and the legendary 1210s technics.... there in sience musiem....... id never sell my vinyl!!!!!!
only think i like about cds is you can get a shit load of tunes real quick!.... im vinyl only and have like 2000 vinyl but like idea of that... id say if your a cd / vinyl dj your proper dj... anything else.... id just think your rubbish... its not snobbery.... like you could a a guy ..... aweson Guitar player... and a guy that plays Guitar hero.... its like you cant play a fcuking note how are you a guitar player lol ... dont know what its like to scrath on cds..... vinyl has to be better id think... but cd does have some cool buttons ...if i saw mp3 or laptop dj id just think joker!!!!!!
soon there be no vinyl djs left :O
with all those pauses that took me like an hour to read

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

this argument will never be settled

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

No two turntables are calibrated the same though. Meaning that even if they are the same bpm its still a case of beatmatching and finding the right pitch. But yeah discussion is old. When people mix without any skill its boring.

plus some turntables speed up or slow down slightly without touching the pitch

totally irrelevant but that little bug sig just well and truely done me in, hook line and sinker....

on a side note.. I got myself a Kontrol S2 in october (never really used decks before that)

I had £500 to spend... and lets be honest.. in the vinyl and CDJ world you arnt getting Sh!t all for £500...

you can still learn to beatmatch and everything yourself with a midi controller... at first I just sync'd just so I could enjoy and understand how two songs went together... then I took a step backwards... took sync off and would point my macs screen down so I couldnt see it.

I even would play one song on youtube and beatmatch into it using traktor.

After 6 months I'd say I am reasonably capable at beatmatching and I'm sure given some time on some CDJ's or Turntables I could produce something listenable!

Definitely looking into some CDJ's when I have the money though, although I wanna get some KRK rokits first to start producing on :D

totally irrelevant but that little bug sig just well and truely done me in, hook line and sinker....

on a side note.. I got myself a Kontrol S2 in october (never really used decks before that)

I had £500 to spend... and lets be honest.. in the vinyl and CDJ world you arnt getting Sh!t all for £500...

you can still learn to beatmatch and everything yourself with a midi controller... at first I just sync'd just so I could enjoy and understand how two songs went together... then I took a step backwards... took sync off and would point my macs screen down so I couldnt see it.

I even would play one song on youtube and beatmatch into it using traktor.

After 6 months I'd say I am reasonably capable at beatmatching and I'm sure given some time on some CDJ's or Turntables I could produce something listenable!

Definitely looking into some CDJ's when I have the money though, although I wanna get some KRK rokits first to start producing on :D

I picked up 2 1210 mk5's and a mixer last summer for £450

All part of the passion mate.. I started on headphones I already had and a few tunes but I doubt your budget is to buy all the tunes you want as well?

I already have a Kontrol S2 mate... If anything I would have gone CDJ since thats what most clubs have... from what I understand most clubs dont look after their 1210's so they skip etc... when I have the money though I will defo upgrade to CDJ's...

I never had any headphones I could use so I had to buy the whole shebang! and yeah like you said.. I would have had to spent another 3-400 on vinyls to get a semi decent collection going... not to mention I dont have the room for them all I'm a student living away from home so I cant really be lugging shit load of vinyls everywhere haha

This argument is boring!!! No one is right or wrong DJ'ing is DJ'ing, you are definetly not better than someone because you mix on 1210s. I started mixing a quite a few years back now on 3x 1210s then after getting sent loads of tracks digitally I needed to purchase something digital so I went for a cdj1000mk3 and another world opened.

Now I'm at the point where I have far more digital music compared to new vinyl. So considering the state of 1210s in clubs now a days, I'm going to purchase a S4 controller and use it along side my 1210s so I will have access to 4 digital decks and with a flick of a switch and I can still use my old vinyl.
I can understand why people get annoyed with the whole sync thing and everyone's a DJ now a days but surely the more people into music and the scene the better.

Back
Top Bottom