Okay, I have a nooblet question on drums compression

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dark Lizardro, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Hey there!

Well, I'm working on a neurofunk track (some of you must remember my "robotic bass" thread), and I decided to incorporate some extreme metal style of drums (like, you know, blast beats?) to some parts. Obviously, the mixing for a metal track is different from a mixing for a electronic music track, so I googled how extreme metal is mixed, so I could try to figure out a way of mixing these two styles.

Well, on my results, I found this one here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/articles/metalII.htm where the guy explains, on a pretty easy way, some general guidelines on mixing extreme metal.

My problem is on the topic "Compression", where he says that when you have a very busy drum pattern (blast beat), followed by a half-time section (or a less intense/faster dnb beat), you have to automate some parameters of the compression.

Question is: have you ever used a automation on compression before? I use Fl studio, but have no idea how to do it.

Thanks!

2. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

What he's explaining is that during the more active blast beat percussion section, it would be a lot more suitable to compress it heavily compared to the less active half-time section. This would involve automation threshold, release, and make-up gain if you dont have it on auto. I havent used automation in FL but i can imagine it involving automating the relevant parameters just like any other plugin.
    What he described would involve automating the threshold higher, the make up gain lower, and the release less when transitioning to the half time section.

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  3. Dark Lizardro

Ok, now I understand. I have never automated the parameters on compressors before. Is there a way to input numbers on the automation, or can I only draw it as I normally do with other automation?

4. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Bun automating compressors, just put the half time bit on a separate track and use different compressor settings on that

5. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

this, or you can just put 2 compressors with different settings on the track and automate the on/off switch for them

6. Dark Lizardro

Thanks for all your answers! It was really bugging me to have the drums pumping like a frog.

7. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Pumping like a frog ey.. You got some weird ass frogs over there then cos ours tend to .. Jump? Lol

8. Dark Lizardro

LOL! I only read what I wrote now! Yeah, I guess they're pretty special frogs.

9. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

no he means the breathing bits on the front of the frog you fool. anyway darkysidro, maybe we should try and make extreme metal some day. naturally first id have to get into making music again. been a while really, dont know why.

10. Dark Lizardro

Sounds good to me, mister. Also, I assumed you were a pretty well estabilished producer, which justified your lack of "hey, listen to this awesome track I just finished" threads.

11. Defect

Defect Member

As said before id just use 2 different compressors and use and automate bypassing one at a time. But if you were to automate 1 compressor youd probably focus mostly on the release time it wouldnt be hard. Obviously when your dealing with abit more space in the drums you can relax the release abit more as opposed to a busy beat. You might want to play with other settings too but thats the important one

12. Entrada

Entrada Member

you should make more extreme metal than this. I'd listen to that shit all day

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  13. Dark Lizardro

You know, this band here, is basically a copy of old Carcass. I do like grindcore, though!

Listen to this whole show, and then we talk about extreme metal:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015