Novation Bass Station 2

hey logikz, i really wish i could remember the name of the synth, it was green and black and more of a virtual analogue, not pure analogue. Just found it... it was a roland aria system 1. I did notice the low end on the bass station was much nicer and fuller.

This is the most recent free DL

All basslines done with massive/serum. no resampling then again the modulation isnt anything past some eq modulation in this one.

I have some other bits due for release I can PM you with the type of bass modulation I usually end up with!

If i had the money I would buy an old virus, I do like the idea of the ones with that really trademark sound... past that I don't have much interest!

fucking hell, did you make those vocals? is Lori a friend of yours? very impressive vocals!! like the drums too. good structure to the elements and musical parts and nice chord progression.
dont like your reeces that much, they are good, but its just top end distortion and then some bends and sweeps, followed by a more mid rangey dist, its not that its wrong or anything, i just like a more comprehensive neuro bass. its not a very large critique, please dont take it as major point, my major point is how dope your tune is with those vocals. very impressive!

maybe you could tell a bit more on about how you do vocals like that?

fucking hell, did you make those vocals? is Lori a friend of yours? very impressive vocals!! like the drums too. good structure to the elements and musical parts and nice chord progression.
dont like your reeces that much, they are good, but its just top end distortion and then some bends and sweeps, followed by a more mid rangey dist, its not that its wrong or anything, i just like a more comprehensive neuro bass. its not a very large critique, please dont take it as major point, my major point is how dope your tune is with those vocals. very impressive!

maybe you could tell a bit more on about how you do vocals like that?

that is my girlfriend so i lace her for vocals quite often :D

yeah the main reese is the sub then the other elements are mainly mid/high bass layers on top, so I understand what you mean, the secondary reeses are a bit lackluster in the low range. I still have a long way to go in terms of neuro sounding bass, that stuff is another level!

when you say do vocals like that? are you talking the fx chain?

Izozope nectar is the sickest plugin i have ever used for vocals, I will have to check the chain in further detail if that is what you're asking, there's quite a few sends to buses as well.

well, "like that", i just mean theyre great and how the hell did you do them? ive tried countless times to do vocal tunes and ive only ever succeded once, back when i was just starting out making dnb. i think the reason it worked and became a finished tune is because i had no idea what i was doing, basically.

i made a jazzstep tune, and found a girl online who said she could sing. she heard the track, said she liked it, and did her thing on it.
sent me the wavs with the acapella vocals after a few days. i had to do a bit of cuttting, but just for the arrangement. fixed up the tune to match the vocals a bit better, and that was that.
people really liked it actually, spawned a whole remix EP.

the vocals were TERRIBLY out of tune and rather silly, but what i appreciate so much about the this is that she really came through and did her thing on the track.
i didnt have to tell her NOTHING, she did the vocals all on her own, like a real vocalist (which is kind of my point with this entire long winded bitchy post).

see, many many times you find a girl who can sing other peoples songs really well, but when it comes to singing original material,
you have to tell them exactly: WHAT to sing, WHEN to sing it and HOW to sing it, which doesnt make them much of a vocalist at all, in my opinion.

so, lyrics, rhythmics, timing, phrasing and melody, you have to do all that for her, and then after a recording session of two days, you probably have something like two hours of recorded material from different takes, and then YOU have to arrange the vocal for the tune by cutting and pasting the best bits together in a sequence that kind of resembles your vision of you were doing.

i say that because at that point, so much work will have gone into the vocal, the rest (as in the acutal music) has had to take a backseat for such a long time youve almost forgotten what it was you set out to do and that usually lands you pretty far from the original sound you wanted, if not totally demotivates you and even though you spent AGES on this track, you scrap it, because the vibe is gone and even if the vocal is getting there, the work you have left to put in on the rest of the tune, as in the actual music, which now is nowhere near what you wanted when you started, is nothing short of egyptian pyramid sized mount rushmore gargantuan. its my own fault for not planning things, i understand that, and its happened to me many times and its not fun.

that to me is not a real vocalist, thats just a girl who can carry a tone and probably would be good at kareoke. shit, that IS kareoke, isnt it? live dnb studio kareoke, in fact, if i could get kareoke software and put my own song in there with the lyrics and that thing that shows the timing, my life could have been SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier haha!

fucking hell, thats actually a great idea!! surely there is freeware kareoke/videoke you can feed whatever you want? holy shit i think i just figured something out!

a real vocalist takes the track, listens to it a few times, and does her thing on it, just like an instrumentalist would, vocals are considered an instrument, they actually say its the most complicted instrument there is.
but like a guitarist or a bassist or a trumpeter, you wouldnt expect to have to tell them what notes to play, when to play them and how, and then paste together a chord progression or a melody by taking cuts from hour long wavs, would you?

sorry for the rant, im hopped up on coffee and goofers.

Logikz, do you have that jazz step track posted anywhere? Got back from new orleans feeling inspired and am working on a few myself. Having a problem figuring out my basslines, working with a standup bass from PRISM before it tears out for some 808's.

Logikz, do you have that jazz step track posted anywhere? Got back from new orleans feeling inspired and am working on a few myself. Having a problem figuring out my basslines, working with a standup bass from PRISM before it tears out for some 808's.

no i dont buddy, that computer has been long lost, my mother gave it to a guy who thought he was me during an amphetamine psychosis and he, understandably, traded it for more amphetamine.
im actually a bit angry about having lost that harddrive, it contained ALL of my first tunes from my very first attempts at making music on the computer, which more resembled a deaf spengs experiments in how to sound like a demented run dmc all the way to my bits where i had figured out how to make jungle, and all my following obsessions.
my fascination with roni size which lead me into jazzstep, with LTJ which lead me into making intelligent, with photek and trying to sound like him and failing miserably every time (insanely difficult sound to emulate, fucking hell), and finally landing in techstep, and all my thousands of terrible attempts at making something that sounded like techstep.

making techstep is actually super basic and shit easy if you just understand some basic principles about electronic music, but i was nowehre near understanding what i had to do to to understand that sound. i thought i had the wrong synth, wrong drummachine and the wrong software, dumb shit like that.

not that i simply had to figure out how to create the groove (lets be honest, all those tunes sounded the same) by studying what acutally goes on in a techstep song, mapping out the sounds, and then getting on with crafting a reece and getting the kick and snare as pronounced as possible. not buying a novation bass station 1 and trying to figure out cubase, this is not how you make music.

the point is i really wanted that computer, or at least the harddrive, with all my shitty amateur attempts from all those years ago, for nostalgic reasons. its probably funny too, but the main reason im angry about that is purely egotistical i want to hear my early work. but its gone for ever. great, just great.

it is probably great, but i wasnt going to upload it or anything, i was just going to get drunk and cry on friday night when my girlfriend has fallen asleep, listening to these atrocities.

ANYWAY, that song was from 2001 haha, the bass and rhodes chords and strings and all instrumentation was from a yamaha cs1x (digital rompler/synth with a very complex effect matrix and a total of six knobs, a fine fiiiiiiiine piece of kit, even if it didnt have a highpass filter. the cs2x does and that made me spunk in my pants right then and there in the store, didnt buy it though, shelved all hardware when i discovered VST and software synths), the drums from a zoom rt-123 drummachine, two amazing pieces of kit that need very little in way of processing, specially when combined.

super clean sound, i didnt even use midi, i recorded them right into the soundcard (had a soundblaster with built in effects and the small audio in/out ports same as on mp3 players or walkmans if youre old enough to know what freestyles were) to cooledit96, cut the recordings up to separate chords, basses, stabs, breaks (recorded it all in one go haha) admittedly did a bit of processing to the rhoades chords for the intro and sequenced it all in a tracker called modplug.

released it on website called thednb.cc (where nobody really cared) and our own dnb collectives website called 2079-e.org, where the whole remix EP thing happened. five or six remixes in total.

have to get ready for an interview, talk later, but if you want to hear modern jazzstep we made, check the double agent EP on easternpromiseaudio.com we did around 2012, track 2 on there is specially jazzsteppy: https://easternpromiseaudio.bandcamp.com/album/epa007-dam-nation-double-agent-ep

edit: interview moved to tomorrow, so i had time to edit this super important post a little more.

Last edited:
get loxy and inks brilliant track "cyborg" if you want to hear how incredibly simple it is to make a dope techstep track. to originate brilliance is one thing, and that takes a musical genius, i.e the musical geniuses loxy and ink without a shadow of a doubt actually are, but to analyze it in retrospect and reproduce it to understand its basic principles and use that in your own music is very much allowed.

well, "like that", i just mean theyre great and how the hell did you do them? ive tried countless times to do vocal tunes and ive only ever succeded once, back when i was just starting out making dnb. i think the reason it worked and became a finished tune is because i had no idea what i was doing, basically.

i made a jazzstep tune, and found a girl online who said she could sing. she heard the track, said she liked it, and did her thing on it.
sent me the wavs with the acapella vocals after a few days. i had to do a bit of cuttting, but just for the arrangement. fixed up the tune to match the vocals a bit better, and that was that.
people really liked it actually, spawned a whole remix EP.

the vocals were TERRIBLY out of tune and rather silly, but what i appreciate so much about the this is that she really came through and did her thing on the track.
i didnt have to tell her NOTHING, she did the vocals all on her own, like a real vocalist (which is kind of my point with this entire long winded bitchy post).

see, many many times you find a girl who can sing other peoples songs really well, but when it comes to singing original material,
you have to tell them exactly: WHAT to sing, WHEN to sing it and HOW to sing it, which doesnt make them much of a vocalist at all, in my opinion.

so, lyrics, rhythmics, timing, phrasing and melody, you have to do all that for her, and then after a recording session of two days, you probably have something like two hours of recorded material from different takes, and then YOU have to arrange the vocal for the tune by cutting and pasting the best bits together in a sequence that kind of resembles your vision of you were doing.

i say that because at that point, so much work will have gone into the vocal, the rest (as in the acutal music) has had to take a backseat for such a long time youve almost forgotten what it was you set out to do and that usually lands you pretty far from the original sound you wanted, if not totally demotivates you and even though you spent AGES on this track, you scrap it, because the vibe is gone and even if the vocal is getting there, the work you have left to put in on the rest of the tune, as in the actual music, which now is nowhere near what you wanted when you started, is nothing short of egyptian pyramid sized mount rushmore gargantuan. its my own fault for not planning things, i understand that, and its happened to me many times and its not fun.

that to me is not a real vocalist, thats just a girl who can carry a tone and probably would be good at kareoke. shit, that IS kareoke, isnt it? live dnb studio kareoke, in fact, if i could get kareoke software and put my own song in there with the lyrics and that thing that shows the timing, my life could have been SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier haha!

fucking hell, thats actually a great idea!! surely there is freeware kareoke/videoke you can feed whatever you want? holy shit i think i just figured something out!

a real vocalist takes the track, listens to it a few times, and does her thing on it, just like an instrumentalist would, vocals are considered an instrument, they actually say its the most complicted instrument there is.
but like a guitarist or a bassist or a trumpeter, you wouldnt expect to have to tell them what notes to play, when to play them and how, and then paste together a chord progression or a melody by taking cuts from hour long wavs, would you?

sorry for the rant, im hopped up on coffee and goofers.

It's definitely really difficult and alot harder than most people think.

I generally write a base of vocals and then we slowly take away parts which sound stupid and don't fit and then we end up with something half decent, usually takes about 2 sessions but sometimes nail it in one. We've never done a full track vocals wise though, usually only 16 or 32 bars, anything past that would be too much!

I have 3 more finished if you ever wana hear them :)

Cheers

I generally write a base of vocals and then we slowly take away parts which sound stupid and don't fit and then we end up with something half decent, usually takes about 2 sessions but sometimes nail it in one. We've never done a full track vocals wise though, usually only 16 or 32 bars, anything past that would be too much!

Cheers

YES FUCKING PLEASE, sorry for caps and over the top enthusiasm (Im doing "the duke"s line from the criminally underrated criminal drama, "the layer cake" btw! man thats a good movie, did you see i? its from a scene when daniel craigs charachter, a pretty real ass gangster drug supplier and expert, tells "the duke" in front of his lads that his product will never get sold at that price and thats becuase hes made an error inn calculation (to which "the duke" reples: STOP SAYING THAT TO ME haha, so then daniel craigs charachter offers to tell "the duke" the real street value of his product, and thats where the line is from.

daniel craig plays this drug supplier and expert with a plan,
employed by these very well socially integrtated lifetime OGs, whos bread add butter is
of course the classic gangster stuff, murder, terror, theft, drugs, prostotition, etc. and since having been adusted to living an upperclass life, by surviving for long enough to see the business pay off and and invesst it, and though many years have their life standard skyrocket, hence the fancy digs, but still, its an UK ganster film, and you know what that means, it means but still, curiously enough, one of them, i.e the wanker, has and is managing to stay true to his humble origins, and keeping the stupid cockney dialect and terrible taste in golf clothing.

one thing i have to note a this point is that, sure, its a cruminal drama, its listed as one and it should be, as its not only chock full of fast and unpredictable dram with very witty and seriously criminal dialog continously resulting in very criminal events and situations in a violent and shockingly crimimnal London,
but (and this is imoportant as it is hwere it distinguishes itself from Guy Richies seminal movies "snatch and "lock stock"etc. which all take place in the seedy side of London, the red light district backstreets, i.e, the criminal underworld.

the awful and brutal world of what organised crime really is really comes to light when they have most of it take place in pig farms, pikey cames, shitty strip bars etc.
but therte is something moer these movies share which makes them so uniquely amazing in their genres, they should be made mandatory viewing for 16 yr olds in literature class , for exampe.

but im getting to that.

in this one however, they negotiate their nefairous deeds and hdeals in a five star rerstaurant, in broad daylight with mayonaise coloured bentleys in the upper classest VIP dining rooms at teh most exculsive andcient and above all expensive social clubs in the country where one man tucking into a grand helping of spotted dick might be the current leader of some trending parliament and the one in the recliner nesxt to him, in the smoking room, the king of zamunda, mick jagger playes tennis with tony blair, etc. and its all done with a writing style, which in the setting, can be confirmed to be jampacked with lessons for young people lessons about hardmen gagnsters, that they do exist and what to do when you meet one. i.e, lessons for kids in related sitations to learn and live by, thats how good these movies are, and that, imo, is for one reason, and one reason alone: the comedy. the comedy is just amazing. its odd, because the situations are seriously grim, but when stuff gets grim to a level thats so beyond anything youve ever experienced, the world becomes absurd, which is when the dry british comedy humour writing skills of these cats truly earn them their place amongst the greats.

"the duke" king chav wannabe-gangster screwup and actually kind of wigger, and his influence of his mongoloid species of people he surrounds in self, both family and friends, is the reason things ended the way they did, imo.

Cheers

oh shi-

im going to use the word "consider" making it sound proposal-ish. because thats what humour is right, references to other peoples business..... ANYWAY, CHECK THIS OUT, POR FAVOR

DUDE man bro guy, i have to ask, sorry in advance for putting you on the spot like this in a public forum, maybe definitely probbably shouldve sent you a PM with all this,
but my inbox is full with moskits dickpics. and i simply refuse to pass an opportunity like this.
say @EvezDroppin, would you consider making a tune with me? a tune with your usual musical style, sounds and direction, AND, a vocal by your resident singer?
just like the last one.see, i absolutely need to understand how you achieve your vocal sound.then i would put my musical stylings on there, and not only would there then potentially be an "eavezdroppin & logikz feat. Lori" tune, something i think would be really cool. i sent you a PM, maybe better to handle this business via PM??

anyway get back to me ASAP breh breh!!

ps. this would be... it would be sooooo, like, wow man....if i learnt some your techniques, you learnt some of mine.... would be a kick ass sound if we just get to vibesin, i am pretty 10000000000% sure of that!
then my girl could potentially be of some use in my music, whichh is crazy because a) she can sing , she really does know how to sing, she sings REALLY GOOD EVEN but being that i dont know how to fix up and record a girl singing and put that on the song, it simpy hanst worked, not even ONCE since that first time..... ppppppppppppppffffffffffft, i want to punch my spleen when i think about the time ive wasted.

Back
Top Bottom