Noob..

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Easy everyone,

iv finally got round to starting my first dnb track on logic pro 9. I am a completete beginner to all this and am currently just getting used to it.

Iv started by literally just using a kick, snare and break is this a good way to start off?

Also if anyone has any tips or links to good information for begginers using logic pro 9 that would be sweet!

Cheers

Easy everyone,

Iv started by literally just using a kick, snare and break is this a good way to start off?

what do you mean? you took a pe-existing break and layered another kick and snare on top of that?

and in answer to your main question...yes...there really is no way to start a tune, i've started from drums, bass, foley sounds, anything really....but i'm, shit, so don't listen to me.

Easy everyone,

iv finally got round to starting my first dnb track on logic pro 9. I am a completete beginner to all this and am currently just getting used to it.

Also if anyone has any tips or links to good information for begginers using logic pro 9 that would be sweet!

Cheers

That's pretty much how I start most my tracks.
Kick, snare, breaks, some extra hats for rhythm, some rides and high end, then move on to the bass, then variations of the bass, then some lead synths or pads, then atmos and its at this point ill start constructing the intro, crashes and fx will shortly follow....then if it needs more bass variations or layers ill do more, same with the drums etc and by this point ill export, have a listen for a few hours maybe even a day?
Then come back to it the next day with fresh ears and go at it. Change all the things I wanna change and add etc. Saying that ive managed to construct a tune and not touch it for month and months then randomly go back and finish it? Depends how bored I get of it. The longer you stay with a track the more you'll pick at it until its overcomplicated. It could turn into a master piece but 9/10 its just turns into one of the MANY projects you will accumulate that you can pick apart and salvage for later use in another track?

Recently ive had the attitude of spending as little time on things as possible, if it sounds good continue and save if it doesn't delete or start over I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months on a sound let alone a whole track and I would get nowhere but a long lesson out of it!
Now I'm more tamed and if i can't make something sound good in the first 20min-45mins then I'm on to the next thing...Its made finishing a track a lot easier!

what do you mean? you took a pe-existing break and layered another kick and snare on top of that?

and in answer to your main question...yes...there really is no way to start a tune, i've started from drums, bass, foley sounds, anything really....but i'm, shit, so don't listen to me.

That's pretty much how I start most my tracks.
Kick, snare, breaks, some extra hats for rhythm, some rides and high end, then move on to the bass, then variations of the bass, then some lead synths or pads, then atmos and its at this point ill start constructing the intro, crashes and fx will shortly follow....then if it needs more bass variations or layers ill do more, same with the drums etc and by this point ill export, have a listen for a few hours maybe even a day?
Then come back to it the next day with fresh ears and go at it. Change all the things I wanna change and add etc. Saying that ive managed to construct a tune and not touch it for month and months then randomly go back and finish it? Depends how bored I get of it. The longer you stay with a track the more you'll pick at it until its overcomplicated. It could turn into a master piece but 9/10 its just turns into one of the MANY projects you will accumulate that you can pick apart and salvage for later use in another track?

Recently ive had the attitude of spending as little time on things as possible, if it sounds good continue and save if it doesn't delete or start over I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months on a sound let alone a whole track and I would get nowhere but a long lesson out of it!
Now I'm more tamed and if i can't make something sound good in the first 20min-45mins then I'm on to the next thing...Its made finishing a track a lot easier!

thanks for the advise mate

yeah pretty much mate, seemed like an easy way to start learning the software and getting to grips with it!

Check out Olav Basoski's video course here.

Believe me when I say it's worth the money. The tricks he shows will save you loads of time and help you around the Logic interface at a much faster rate.

Cheers.

There is no "right" way to start a track, the way that I've done it is to lay out a beat, and just start doing what I call "keystyling" basicly freestyling on a midi keyboard, then once i ve got somthing put together, I work on my layout what dgoes were and so one, then its the mixing process. I'm far from a pro, but ill get there someday. Goodluck on your project.

Oh also youtube is your friend. :)

Nice one man cheers for the advise

Back
Top Bottom