Noob...

Save up and get yourself some budget monitors, Alesis M1 active mk2s are a good starting point as far as im concerned. A lot of people seem to like KRKs but personally i hate their sound.

Headphones are pretty marmite, i find it a waste of time going in too hard on headphones as it never translates as you want it to. Thats probably a fault my end though really.

Don't want to start a brand monitor bitchfight here but isn't the idea of producer monitors not to sound to your personal preferences but to sound as clean and "true" as possible, and the KRK's do just that.

If you want a 'wide' sounding mix I wouldn't recommend using headphones for music productions.
Headphones do not represent a natural listening environment whereas monitors do.
If you pan something slightly to the left using headphones it will seem drastic compared to monitors.
This is because the sound in the left headphone will never reach the right ear and vice versa. With monitors the sound from the left monitor will reach the right ear but slightly later than the right monitor.
Chances are it won't be direct sound, more likely reflections from nearby surfaces.

Look up the terms inter-neural intensity and inter-neural arrival time. They are two out of three properties of hearing.

i find that my HD25s are great for production though, they are really good for referencing when processing drums I think all though some of my mixes aren't bright enough due to the slight high end boost in HD25s.
I might try and find a graph with a frequency response for the HD25s and place an EQ on the master bus to compensate, then once the track is finished remove it.
I dunno

Don't want to start a brand monitor bitchfight here but isn't the idea of producer monitors not to sound to your personal preferences but to sound as clean and "true" as possible, and the KRK's do just that.

Yes and no. No monitors are actually flat, and it is all a matter of preference. Don't try and tell me that monitors that cost £300 are ideal when you can easily spend 60k on a pair.

As far as i'm concerned i've never heard any KRKs that sound anywhere near flat.

EDIT:

I also spend a large majority of my time listening through various different set ups including HR824s and Adam A7s, and they're all good for different things.

mine dont! im sure i can buy an adapter or something though? would u reccomend them for production aswel.

hd25's are perfectly fine for producing with, just get an adaptor off the internet for them to fit into your macbook, or (ideally) buy an audio interface to go between your macbook and your headphones.

don't buy cheap monitors now to only buy another pair in the future, buy once and buy right. also don't get ported monitors. also krk's are fucking gay.

if you ever need help with Logic then feel free to drop me a message, and once you get the ball rolling with your production then we can get some collabs on the go.

also: TO-NAY! TO-NAY! TO-NAY!

hd25's are perfectly fine for producing with, just get an adaptor off the internet for them to fit into your macbook, or (ideally) buy an audio interface to go between your macbook and your headphones.

don't buy cheap monitors now to only buy another pair in the future, buy once and buy right. also don't get ported monitors. also krk's are fucking gay.

if you ever need help with Logic then feel free to drop me a message, and once you get the ball rolling with your production then we can get some collabs on the go.

also: TO-NAY! TO-NAY! TO-NAY!

Kinda right about the don't buy to buy again in the future, but if you're just starting you might never need that £1000 pair of speakers, depends on what you're in it for really.

As for ported - i think you'd struggle to get sealed cabinets that cheap? Might be wrong, but don't think i've ever seen any.

Yes and no. No monitors are actually flat, and it is all a matter of preference. Don't try and tell me that monitors that cost £300 are ideal when you can easily spend 60k on a pair.
As far as i'm concerned i've never heard any KRKs that sound anywhere near flat.

I roll over that's a solid statement, I speak out of lack of experience and thusly the KRK's for me are extremely flat considering all the other crap I've heard, but atleast hand me that a pair of KRK's R6's are nice monitors for a hobby producer.

As i said before i just don't like them. I have friends who have used them for years and love em. It's personal preference as far as i'm concerned.

If you can get good results that translate well from them it really doesn't matter what you use at all.

get monitors...whatever brand. with time u will know how they translate. your ears will fatigue faster with headphones. with monitors u will be able to work for hours tryna achieve that friendly intentions snare.

+1 for the interface, small presonus or focusrite job. Not sure about macbooks, but your standard laptop output can be noisy as hell if you run monitors off of it.
Headphones will get you started for sure tho, the sennies should be fine.

At this stage headphones will be the least of your worries. You could have the best headphones in the world and still get terrible sound quality. This is due to the A/D D/A converters in your interface. First thing you want is a half decent audio interface. Then you will be able to get full quality audio out of your computer and DAW. Chances are you are using the headphones output on your computer which is a very bad idea. Hd 25's are not all bad for mixing i'd stick with them and invest the amount of money you would have spent of a decent pair of beyerdynamic on something like a focusrite interface. Cheap and will do the job for you. You will also have a decent output for your speakers as well when you eventually get some.

Just please do not buy Beats by dre they are overpriced and really very bad when mixing bass driven music. Do not believe people when they say they are good they are not.

At this stage headphones will be the least of your worries. You could have the best headphones in the world and still get terrible sound quality. This is due to the A/D D/A converters in your interface. First thing you want is a half decent audio interface. Then you will be able to get full quality audio out of your computer and DAW. Chances are you are using the headphones output on your computer which is a very bad idea. Hd 25's are not all bad for mixing i'd stick with them and invest the amount of money you would have spent of a decent pair of beyerdynamic on something like a focusrite interface. Cheap and will do the job for you. You will also have a decent output for your speakers as well when you eventually get some.

Just please do not buy Beats by dre they are overpriced and really very bad when mixing bass driven music. Do not believe people when they say they are good they are not.

How would i connect a mixer up to that interface to use the monitors then? would it have a normal line in connector?

Back
Top Bottom