Nina Simone - I Put a Spell on You (Kolendo Bootleg) :: Liquid Funk/Ragga Vibes WIP - need feedback

Kolendo

Once I'm finished this remix I'll probably release it as a free EP along with another tune I posted on here a couple days ago (should still be near the top of the new talent subforum).
I'm trying REALLY hard to get the Nina Simone sample fitting nicely in the mix, it's a shame no one has ever released a remastered version of the original and an instrumental while they're at it :p
Can you guys let me know how it's sounding? I think my drums are pretty solid, but I want people to brutally pick apart the mix because I don't have monitors! Just headphones for now.

Last edited:
Certainly got some good vibes about it. Sample in the second half is really fighting to keep in time with the beats. I'd stick with the first half and chop it around to make a bit of a hook from it. These bootlegs that try to take the whole track always struggle as the differing structures between the genres always feel forced to me.

Really like the first 30 seconds.

hello again, not a massive fan or reggae but this sounds cool. that bass line is super wobbly, love it !! :D
the 70s elements sound well fitting, making this like an interesting tune to listen to.
overall sound is spot imo, is this track already mastered by a pro technician?
what producing system are you on?

Sample in the second half is really fighting to keep in time with the beats.
Really like the first 30 seconds.

Thanks man, yeah I agree with you there, I've been trying to force it to work but with soul/blues things are so swung sometimes that it just doesn't work.
I'll see if I can isolate the different elements in the sample more so I can get some cleaner cuts.

hello again, not a massive fan or reggae but this sounds cool. that bass line is super wobbly, love it !! :D
the 70s elements sound well fitting, making this like an interesting tune to listen to.
overall sound is spot imo, is this track already mastered by a pro technician?
what producing system are you on?

Hey! Wow thanks :D Yeah I was hoping that vibe would come across, some of the strings and synths used are definitely on the funk/swing/jazz side of things which I think goes hand in hand with Nina's blues/soul vibe.
No this isn't mastered by a technician yet, I just quickly polished it with iZotope. If it sounds pro mastered I'm guessing that's just because I used excellent drum samples and lots of subtractive EQ haha
Oh and I use Ableton for arrangement, and sometimes Cubase depending on what I need to do.

Back
Top Bottom