New Dubstep Production Course!

Point Blank

Hold Tight People!

Just want to introduce all the DnB forum users to our latest Music Production Course at Point Blank Music School. The brand new Dubstep Course aims to teach all the techniques and skills you need to know in order to produce your own top quality tracks!

On the course you will learn how to produce Dubstep tracks to a professional sounding standard. Using Ableton Live you will create a complete Dubstep track incorporating authentic drum sounds, bass patches, leads and effects. A pro music producer offers essential tips, tricks and techniques to ensure your Dubstep tracks deliver maximum impact on a club soundsystem. Upload your music each week for expert analysis and feedback.

You can check out the full course details here: http://www.pointblankonline.net/dubstep-course-ableton-live.php

The course is taught by Jonny Miller, acclaimed producer, DJ and label manager who has racked up releases on a range of labels including Aquatic Lab, Sidestepper Recordings, K7 and Twisted Funk. Jonny will examine a broad range of production techniques from bass heavy dubs through to more techno influenced flavours.

You will also recieve one-to-one personal feedback from your pro producer tutor who will give you technical and creative advice on the areas of your tracks which may need some improvement. This feedback is totally unique to our courses!

So make sure you check out the Dubstep Course page and get enrolling as it all kicks off in a few weeks and places are limited!

http://www.pointblankonline.net/dubstep-course-ableton-live.php

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to post on here and I'll get back to you right away. All feedback is much welcomed as it's good to get as much opinion on what we do as possible.

Cheers!

Luke (Point Blank)

Last edited:
"Qualifictations" count for shit in all fairness. "Knowledge" and "application of knowledge" goes a lot further.

The production threads on dnbforum & dubstepforum kind of already do this, for free...

Theres a difference between being qualified to do something and being certified to do something.

I think just by reading all the shit on here makes everyone qualified to make music. How well they may or may not make it is another story

With the Dubstep Course you don't receive any formal qualifications as such, we do provide a certificate of completion but to be honest the majority of our students don't reall take such a course for any kind of qualification but rather to improve their knowledge and improve the quality of their productions.

We do offer alternative courses at our London based college which offer formal qualifications accredited by OCN and we also offer a Music Production HNC course which counts as the first year for a Creative Music Tech Degree at Cantebury Christ Church University.

You can check out these courses here: http://www.pointblanklondon.com/brochure.php

But as for the Dubtep course, this is for those producers who want to further their skills in creating tracks in their chosen genre to a professional sounding standard.

The course runs for 4 weeks at £325 and offers alot for you money, including one-to-one personalised feedback on your tracks from an industry experienced professional producer. So what do you guys think of the course details? Anyone interested in this kind of course?

Dubstep Course page: http://www.pointblankonline.net/dubstep-course-ableton-live.php

And if anyone's got anymore questions or feedback/opinion post on here and I'll be more than happy to get back to you as soon as poss.

Cheers!

Luke (Point Blank)

Theres a difference between being qualified to do something and being certified to do something.

I think just by reading all the shit on here makes everyone qualified to make music. How well they may or may not make it is another story

Debatable. The only thing I could potentially being worth certified in would be something like a Pro Tools 310p Expert Operator. If you were looking to get anything specific.

End of the day, you can have all the knowledge in the world but if you make shit tunes, no one is going to want to hire you. FACT.

Debatable. The only thing I could potentially being worth certified in would be something like a Pro Tools 310p Expert Operator. If you were looking to get anything specific.

End of the day, you can have all the knowledge in the world but if you make shit tunes, no one is going to want to hire you. FACT.

(y)

Experience and motivation>Paperwork any day.

I can think of really good musicians that have never so much as walked into a college, and I can think of musicians that have done theyre ND's, gone on to a HND, then off looking for somewhere to do Degrees, and theyre still below average players. Same with sound engineers, producers and so on.

If I was looking for someone to go out with my PA then I'd go for the person with a keen interest and bit of experience over the Music Tech student who knows it all on paper but isnt that interested.

thats bollox, i am a sound and video engineer (Broadcast Engineer) and no one would even bother to look at me if i didnt have the paper work...i have a degree and a HND, plus i have had to do shit loads of work experience (such work experience i couldnt do with out my qualifications)...

so i see what you are saying but i think the whole "you dont need paper work" debate is a load of shit, OK, u might get a slot at a place through endless unpaid work experience...but the paper work will help you significantly. i personally think production is not something that can be taught, the "how to use a program" can be taught but the artistic license can only come from one person, you.

t... i think the whole "you dont need paper work" debate is a load of shit ....
In an employment basis yes, but surely not when you are either a hobbyist/self-employed 'producer' trying to get exposure to labels and/or DJ's, CV is not required, all about the music ?

Where i live the DJ/Producer bio's always seem to focus on the music production qualifications ... makes me laugh ... like has been said, cannot teach art only method !

ps. I can use Photoshop but i`m no designer !

thats bollox, i am a sound and video engineer (Broadcast Engineer) and no one would even bother to look at me if i didnt have the paper work...i have a degree and a HND, plus i have had to do shit loads of work experience (such work experience i couldnt do with out my qualifications)...

so i see what you are saying but i think the whole "you dont need paper work" debate is a load of shit, OK, u might get a slot at a place through endless unpaid work experience...but the paper work will help you significantly. i personally think production is not something that can be taught, the "how to use a program" can be taught but the artistic license can only come from one person, you.

Think it's horses for courses really... You obviously need to be qualified to a certain extent to do what you do personally, but others may not...

I've got a friend who got told to take his degree off of his CV as he was over qualified for a lot of positions and it would put people of hiring him... Just something to think about.

So what do you guys think of the course details? Anyone interested in this kind of course?

Luke , I would love to do something like that and the course does look pretty sweet especially since im an ableton user and I love dubstep. However, if I had $600 (Cdn) I would be buying some new monitors before anything else..

i do see your point, but your job requires technical expertise. this whole debate started from whether one needs certificates to have a career as a producer, on which the answer is pretty much no. even recording studios avoid hiring interns that have completed audio engineering schools, as they believe that this is counter productive, as it fills their heads with strong opinions and bad habits. they'd much rather get a inexperienced but motivated person to train according to their working methods.
here's another example; i just finished salford's music & recording course, and most graduates from my year are now doing stuff that could have done without that degree. gigging with bands, front of house engineers, or just normal jobs whilst working on music. even our tutors kept telling us that this degree means nothing to the music industry, and that we'll need to work really hard afterwards if we're to get a career.

dont get me wrong, im not saying it was wasted time, me and couple of others managed to get post grad places with views to teach in the future, and i reckon its the right thing to do for someone of my age. 5-6 years ago tho, id first give it a shot with my own powers before started spending money on education

Luke , I would love to do something like that and the course does look pretty sweet especially since im an ableton user and I love dubstep. However, if I had $600 (Cdn) I would be buying some new monitors before anything else..

I can understand the point that the Dubstep course may initially appear to be a little expensive, but when you take on board the development and time and what you're actually getting for your money then in fact the course is offering alot at a pretty good price.

But once you've got them monitors drop us a line and enrol on a course! It's the first course of its kind and we're pretty excited about the launch in May!

Remember to check out the Dubstep Course page for all the course details and please keep posted all your opinions/feedback as we strive to take all the comments on board and continue improving our service. And if anyones got any more questions or wants more info, post them on here and I'll get right back to you.

Cheers!

Luke (Point Blank)

Back
Top Bottom