My production dilemma:

Discussion in 'Production' started by Cat Gas, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Generally I'm better at making non dnb stuff than dnb (and to some extent I prefer it just cause I find it easier) but at the same time, I want to make dnb because I mainly listen to dnb and its my favourite genre of music.....

....Just thought I'd point out my cool story bro-esque story.

2. Krispy

Krispy Member

Meh I have the exact same problem

3. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

just keep at it
    or maybe use ur non dnb elements at dnb tempo?
    make something weird

4. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Hmmm got the same problem, now working on some hardtechno stuff. Feeling it too. :D

5. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

if u know in ya heart u want to write dnb, then keep writing it. I'm shit at dnb.. but fuck off if u want me to write something else man, even when im shit at it, its what i wanted to do.

might never get a track signed, but i wnt get old without knowing i went for it

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Maybe if you found out what makes dnb, dnb you would be better at it. Listen to some of the masterclass stuff and you'll have a feel for it.

7. Busdriver

Busdriver Member

If you can produce lower tempo tunes you already have some knowledge.

DNB pain in the ass is the tempo and the freq.
    Your drums beats hit all track long and saturate the frequencies AND your leads, basses and reeses have to do the same.

So basically you have to focus and WORK (not produce just for fun) the frequency balance question and the drums patterning question.
    Make some exercises, try to achieve a precise aim.

D&B is -for me- the hardest electro music style to produce. With a special mention for neuro-funk.

Maybe if you tell us what style you want to produce and what are your problems, could we help you furthermore.

Keep it up.

8. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

good point man. I think drum and bass is technicly the hardest sound to achieve, and it takes alot of work, thousands of beats, but when you get there its more satisfying than anything easy.

9. djdevz

djdevz Member

i really enjoy making dnb..n personally i think its one of my strongest genres in terms of quality.
    But to get to the next 'level' is really difficult cuz it's just quality samples, freqs n mix-downs...personally i'd say keep it simple n build up.

people talk about layering snares n kicks, i'd say do that but in moderation..spend a lil more time composing rather than programming n maybe u'll feel it a lil more.

10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

True.

11. somaru

somaru Diasoma

i think you should write what you feel most comfortable with. writing non dnb stuff doesn't mean that you don't get better in writing dnb stuff.. because every minute or hour you spend making music you'll learn new things and get some routine no matter what kind of music it is. you learn how to use your plug ins, you increase your sample library, etc..

12. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I find it helps to bring the tempo down to like 130ish on your dnb track to get the fiddly bits done, it can get a bit much at times as dnb is so quick compared to other genres..

Worth a try ?

13. Robmobius

Robmobius Member

Jaysus... I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to make decent sounding D n B. I totally hear what you guys are saying... I've made some progress, but I'm still finding a lot of stuff a tad mind blowing. :(

The hardest part for me is knowing where to make those small changes in the drums (time signatures) that sound so cool. Also, getting those really nice atmospheric sounds that you hear on the early dark side stuff (the ambient stuff on Wormhole, etc.). My stuff sounds a tad lifeless and no where as rich. I've not idea how they make their sounds sound so "big". :(

Gah! But sure I'll keep going at see what happens.

14. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

....I cant tell the difference. :\

15. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

I read it as the musical side versus the technical.
    The musical side you feel, the other is more academic.

One you've got this cool idea about a tune and some beats/ the other you're worried about whether your kick hits at 65 on the richter and status scale and maybe the hats need a bit more google switch on the highs and automated dialling on the mids.

16. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

I just tie the two in together though, thats the main problem of working on a computer I feel

17. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Too true. I am finding this hard as well. It just seems like you need to get so practised at the technical side that you forget about it and focus on the music. There's just so much to learn which gets in the way of the music.

18. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

this.. create new genre

19. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Are you still here?

Have you been through Ashburton yet? That's where I grew up. Basically it used to be a place where you could interupt a long drive to get some K.F.C.

Needless to say it's progressed and diversified now. These days you can also get McDonalds and Subway.

20. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

naa, im still on west coast in queenstown.. can't leave the ferg.. im go in milford sound tomorrow, then doubtful sound on 2nd oct.. after ive done Invercargill & had Bluff oysters i'll head north up east coast towards chch.. is there anything in Ashburton i need to see??