my drums fucking suck

guess it also depends on what kind of vibe in the song you're going for. if it's dancefloor orientated then you might want 3 kicks to make that powerful driving beat for the song to roll along to.

but if you're doing something minimal you might want to recreate the sound of a feather falling against a kittens whisker.

yeh man, i always use 3, i eq different parts of them to make a new one.

so i take the low of one, mid of one and the punch of another. makes a nice kick. but this is jus my ways of working.

reeeallly!!! obviously its each to there own but i think multiple kicks is a definite no for me. the one sample should be strong enough to cover the given frequency range. its all about the vengeance stuff!!!
but if u can pull it off fair play!

sometimes i might like a kick with a nice body but it's lacking that little bit of clack up top. so i'll leave the 'body' kick alone (give it a bit of basic eqing) and then low cut the other one quite aggressively just to give it a bit of bite up top.

i used to use the vengeance kicks all the time but recentley i have found they are almost ott sounding. i also get a much nicer feeling if i work with 2 or 3 relatively normal sounding kicks cos it feels more like crafting something. lovely imagery btw riisu!

can any one post one of these 3 layered kicks im intrigued.
or even see how many kicks u can get to fit into one, now thats a challenge

surely that's pretty infinate though, because you could use 100000 kicks. just depends on whether you like the sound of it or not ;)

i also heard logikz loves a challenge .

Layering KDs to make a 'single cohesive hit' is not easy imo... I've always gone with finding a single one to do the job.

Now layering SDs... that's fun and very manageable imo.

surely would u would get some harsh.... harsh clipping
Why?
If you just butchered them altogether on one track at full volume then yeah...

I put my kicks in different tracks so I can adjust the level of each one seperately. Then I bus them together and put my high pass filter and compressor and mono eq on the bus.

I've been playing with parallel compression here at this stage. Set the compressor to some mad low threshold, high ratio, short attack, release just long enough to stop the tail 'breathing'. Sounds like a rubbish hard 'whack'. Then bring up the dry signal until the body and personality of the kick come through.
Helps my kick to sound harder and cut through. (same thing as t.flap, except I just use the dry/wet signal levels on the vst)

I do the same on my snares.

I actually reckon discovering this was one of those breakthrough moments as a first year noob, you know the one where you can hear the difference in the stuff you did before/after you used it.

can any one post one of these 3 layered kicks im intrigued.
or even see how many kicks u can get to fit into one, now thats a challenge

look in the logic thread at my drums vid. but yeh, think i have used more than 3 before as well. nuttin wrong in that, you like 1 i like 3

nuttin wrong in that, you like 1 i like 3

nothing wrong in that at all

Why?
If you just butchered them altogether on one track at full volume then yeah...

no your right, you could fit thousands of kicks eq'd, on the same channel and at a low volume.

heard so many ppl talk about this vengance sample pack an havent heard it myself, so i may be wrong here but if for you its hittin all frequencies with one kick then fairplay, my point is that the kick you speak of has more than likely been layerd and eq'd to get to the stage its at when you get hold of it. Being a sample pack an all?

So....yeah.....merge your kicks, merge snares, an even if you want to merge hats for your own unique drums. There are no rules, just do wat you want till it sounds good.
(Its all about filter envelopes wen constructing hard hittin drums, play about with hi-pass [snares/hats] an low pass envelopes [kicks/snares] with high resonance, no attack a lil bit of decay an no sustain or release, to find the sweet spot in a sample then layer an process ;))

One MAAAAJOR tip that has helped me drastically with Drumming is writing Dotted Notes...srsly helped a ton. Major thing with DnB drumming is contrast and flow, you want (imo) 3 variations of a hat/tom/ride so you can string them together nicely.

Also, I try and avoid loops at all costs... you'll thank yourself later when you can write a 16 bar drum break in 10 minutes flawless.

Layering KDs to make a 'single cohesive hit' is not easy imo... I've always gone with finding a single one to do the job.

Now layering SDs... that's fun and very manageable imo.

Yeah but sometimes using one kick it might jus need the slightest little boost somewhere so layering another on subltly under it can help so much

I usually use 2-3 for both, less is more etc etc all that guff

ehh I'd stay away from layering KDs, if you're looking for an "explosive" kick drum try putting a really Cutoff +7 to +9 or so octave Triangle wave under it with a little added Release...it'll give you that expanding bass ala spor/noisia/etc... then just write envelopes on the Cutoff to give it that growl effect.

ehh I'd stay away from layering KDs, if you're looking for an "explosive" kick drum try putting a really Cutoff +7 to +9 or so octave Triangle wave under it with a little added Release...it'll give you that expanding bass ala spor/noisia/etc... then just write envelopes on the Cutoff to give it that growl effect.

:rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom