my drums fucking suck

I'll upload somethin I'm workin on tonight that uses a "triangle" boom. Triangle waves create higher sustained output then other waves and when you jack up the octaves it increase that output...cut off the high frequencies and you get massssssssive bass.

Also, this will create mostly "unheard" bass (until you raise the cutoff a tad...then you'll want to fine tune that result) you'll want to do it on some decent monitors to really feel its effect and get the right amount of sub bass.

Last edited:
I'll upload somethin I'm workin on tonight that uses a "triangle" boom. Triangle waves create higher sustained output then other waves and when you jack up the octaves it increase that output...cut off the high frequencies and you get massssssssive bass.

Also, this will create mostly "unheard" bass (until you raise the cutoff a tad...then you'll want to fine tune that result) you'll want to do it on some decent monitors to really feel its effect and get the right amount of sub bass.

You're talkin abotu kick drums?

Then you mention sub bass?

You're talkin abotu kick drums?

Then you mention sub bass?

KDs can be anywhere in the "bass" spectrum no?... just like bass can be anywhere in the same spectrum... :clown:

30-150 covers a lot of ground and there's no reason we can't have a KD that covers 30-50 and a bass that covers 50-80 or vice versa and any one of a jillion other combinations.

innit

I mentioned sub bass because adding that to your kick drum gives it that explosion/boom effect, which will keep it from "sucking".

I'll upload a lil something tonight or tomorrow, maybe a video... Got tomorrow off work so i'll have time....thanks to the weather ;)

Real producers use crabs and car batteries for drums. Crabs add that hefty punch to them. Hell, you could even use a lobster if you deem fit so.

I mentioned sub bass because adding that to your kick drum gives it that explosion/boom effect, which will keep it from "sucking".

It all depends though... if the mix isn't calling for it, then it might just cloud things up in the 'sub' area...

i know all about making all the elements sit well in the mix, was just needing to know how to give that energy to my drums. thanks for info guys much appreciated!
got a much better idea of how to do this now.

KDs can be anywhere in the "bass" spectrum no?... just like bass can be anywhere in the same spectrum... :clown:

30-150 covers a lot of ground and there's no reason we can't have a KD that covers 30-50 and a bass that covers 50-80 or vice versa and any one of a jillion other combinations.

innit

What so you would boost your sub bass between 50-80 and not under?

Yeha a kick can be placed in many differnt ways, but when using bass with alot of sub bass like in drum and bass, you wouldnt want the kick drum to be interfering with the sub lol

sub is sub, start putting other eq instruments there its gona start to sound shit

and since all the kids are talking about layering drum hits, listen to this as well. Tune you hits, it makes a huge difference to the sound. its best doing by ear, but if you're borderline tone deaf like me you can use a frequency analyser.

couple of notes regarding drum tuning:

Tuning can a vicious circle. If you leave it for the mixing stage of a tune when you have loads of hits, all in clashing frequencies, you're in for a horror. change two things, they sound fine, unmute another, it sucks.. it is important that you decide early which hits will be your main elements. Tune these to the tune's key, and then dont touch the pitch on them. Instead, tune all additional layers to these "main" beats, as to avoid the headache later on.

The lower you go in the frequency spectrum, the more important is to avoid clashes. Just like you want to avoid detuned sub bass, kicks need to be tuned to the last cent, especially if you intend to keep information bellow 100Hz on both of them. If you're add high frequency clicks it is less important, but it helps if everything is in tune.

Snares benefit from tight tuning too, but since we can layer up to 12 kHz of snare-ish material, the higher we go, the waves become so small that any dissonance gets masked pretty quickly. furthermore, dissonance at these frequencies can sometimes sound pleasing and nasty-in-a-good-way-!

Whilst frequency analysers can be a great help for tuning, the rules they abide to cannot replace the actual sound. in other words, two hits may appear to be on the same frequency on your analyser, but that doesnt necessarily mean that they sound the best they can together. I personally bring my hits close by looking at the analyser, and then adjust the pitch on my additional hit by 10 cents. The difference each time is minute, but by moving in increments of 10 cents, you should be able to distinguish if the overall sound is getting better or worse. if its getting worse, i move it to the other direction. if its getting better, i go on until it sounds bad again, and then repeat the process in the opposite direction 1 cent increments.

i avoid using samplers and other real-time processors for tuning drum hits. its very convenient being able to dial it and hear it straight away, but offline processing sounds much much better. the one in Cubase is pretty clean, as long as you uncheck "preserve time", which would time stretch as well. it gets a bit daunting sometimes trying to distinguish one tuning from another when its not done in real time, so bouncing down a few versions and auditioning them next to each other helps a lot.

so yeah, thats what i know so far. id like to hear some contributions on tuning from others (Zeal, Kama, Logikz, im looking your way...)
and if any of this didnt make a lot of sense, just ask. (y)

Last edited:
Layering KDs to make a 'single cohesive hit' is not easy imo... I've always gone with finding a single one to do the job.

Now layering SDs... that's fun and very manageable imo.

i agree with this.

I find that layering kicks can be long as it can sound a tad soggy if its not done properly. I will try using one already processed kick than layering but 2-3 snares and maybe a 4th on like the 2nd snare of the bar or summin

i agree with this.

I find that layering kicks can be long as it can sound a tad soggy if its not done properly. I will try using one already processed kick than layering but 2-3 snares and maybe a 4th on like the 2nd snare of the bar or summin

read the 2nd point on my previous post and you'll understand why its tricky to layer kicks. Tuning people! TUNING FFS!
:teeth:

read the 2nd point on my previous post and you'll understand why its tricky to layer kicks. Tuning people! TUNING FFS!
:teeth:

NAIL MEET HEAD... it's not so much getting volumes right, because any experienced pair of ears can nail that with relative ease.

It's the bloody pitching of the KDs... I have enough of an issue finding the 'right' KD for the job, one that hits enough, cuts through the mix the way I want, and is in key with the overall "key of the track".

Finding a second KD to layer underneath that first KD... ummm, no thanks, but hey, major props to those who can do it properly and make it jam.

That's the beauty of Production though innit... we constantly come across techniques to try out and adopt or put aside for future attempts. :D

A. What so you would boost your sub bass between 50-80 and not under?

B. Yeha a kick can be placed in many differnt ways, but when using bass with alot of sub bass like in drum and bass, you wouldnt want the kick drum to be interfering with the sub lol

C. sub is sub, start putting other eq instruments there its gona start to sound shit

A. It all depends. Sub doesn't have to be 49hz and below in my book. Sub could be at 80hz and the KD could be at 50hz or vice versa.

B. Again, depends... but in my experience and I've made tracks that reflect this: there are times when a perfectly sculpted KD can fit in the same frequency realm as the bass. It's all about matching initial attacks, decay and release in relation to each other.

C. Not necessarily in my experience... yeah, 9/10, if you randomly try to put a 50hz KD underneath a Bline that resides at 50-55hz, and the KD has a huge decay, yeah, there's a great chance it's going to sound muddy and not be worthwhile... but if you can either find the right KD sample, or sculpt your own electronic KD to fit in the space with the Bline, then it might work. (not to mention the range of options when it comes to using EQ, Comp, and Side Chain techniques)

At the end of the day, I'm not saying it's necessarily worthwhile to try to make KDs and Blines in the same frequency work together just for the sake of doing it... if it's what one wants to do, (all I'm saying) it's definitely possible, but tricky.

Back
Top Bottom