Mix sounds bad in Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Production' started by bonfarado, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bonfarado

bonfarado New Member

Hallo,

I figured out that my mixes (as wav file) often sound bad in Windows Media Player.
    It sounds like there is some unwanted Compression or Limiting going on.
    I have not changed the default settings.

When I listen with Aimp, VLC or iTunes everything seems to be fine. Ok, there are some peeks in it.
    But I'm still confused. Does it mean my mix is bad? Or is it just a bad player?
    Anyone else experiences this behaviour?

Regards, Peter

2. bonfarado

bonfarado New Member

Ok, I found a thread on the internet. I'm currently kind of reviewing my mixes on a laptop with some iPhone headsets. And it has something to do with some sound enhancement stuff ony either my laptop or in Windows. I cant't find the settings it but it is very annoying... Still not sure if it means that my mix is bad.

3. Solace

Solace Active Member

Yea probably Windows Media Players enhances all sounds coming trough it. You can try to render it in mp3 and try that.
    But still, a mix should sound as good as possible on any system.
    So I'm guessing it's just a bit of both

4. Catalyst_dnb

Catalyst_dnb Member

If WMP is using just the primary sound card then it might sound shit, compared with VLC which will likely use a codec like AISO.

but shouldn't sound too different, as above I would assume a bit of both.

5. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

To disable processing of the sound in Windows:

Right click on the volume icon in your systray (next to the clock), then click "Playback devices" on the menu that pops up
    OR
    Go Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage audio devices (in the sub section Sound)

Then select your soundcard, it should be the one marked with a green check mark and sub-texted "Default device", either by double clicking it or clicking once and then click the button "Properties"

On the tab "Enhancements", check the box next to "Disable all enhancements".

If you have a tab named "Dolby", enter that tab and make sure it is turned off (there's a clickable power icon on the top left).

Click Apply and then OK.

As noted, these settings will have no effect when using ASIO, just Windows Sound/DirectSound.

6. Quotec

Quotec Active Member

Worth checking out EQ settings on WMA, maybe you have something boosted here and there.