DnB Intelligent DnB Compo Voting

Vote for your favourite two tracks...

• Total voters
Great work everyone. A little bit torn as how to vote as my favourite is probably the least "intelligent" sounding of them all.

I think many of us would disagree on what the defines the "intelligent" sound. Most of the tracks are in the the intelligent style, some are not, but are heavily influenced by that style. I think you should just vote for the best sounding track.

Also, holy shit you guys are impressive! These songs have a wonderful wide variety of taste. I was a little afraid that we would basically hear the same version of a few samples over and over again. But these songs are just so dynamic. I think when @Derelicts Of Tomorrow puts together the set it should be awesome!

It's too hard for me to vote now because there are just so many I like.

I think many of us would disagree on what the defines the "intelligent" sound. Most of the tracks are in the the intelligent style, some are not, but are heavily influenced by that style. I think you should just vote for the best sounding track.
That’s how I see it mate. Like you say they all draw influence even if they don’t exactly fit the category.

It's too hard for me to vote now because there are just so many I like.

Same. Could do with more than two votes because there are a few tracks which stand out but all the entries have some nice elements and ideas and it has been interesting to see how people have used the samples and which ones people have gravitated towards. Some nice resampling and processing work as well. I am not going to vote until I have listened to each track a couple more times but I know which ones it will be between.

Big up dnbforum

Chaps! Read through the discussion and I agree -- some tracks are no Intelligent DnB at all and should not be listed!
It's like getting an F in school with your teacher saying ...." nice essay, but you missed the point, my friend!"
If I had known such liquid vibes were okay, my track would have come out different. Just saying for fairness ......

Last edited:
Also, holy shit you guys are impressive! ....

Sorry man, I disagree with that -- the best sounding tracks in here are liquid DnB -- not existing at the time of Intelligent DNB in the 90s. I voted for what sounds most 90s Intelligent DnB to me -- because it was made a clear and harsh requirement for the compo. It even said in the introduction post none IDB may be disqualified .....

Sorry man, I disagree with that -- the best sounding tracks in here are liquid DnB -- not existing at the time of Intelligent DNB in the 90s. I voted for what sounds most 90s Intelligent DnB to me -- because it was made a clear and harsh requirement for the compo. It even said in the introduction post none IDB may be disqualified .....
That was not actually a rule. The rule was “ We want to hear the smoother side of drum n bass in this comp. The style that takes influence from ambient, chillout, funk and jazz. The atmospheric style that was very popular in the 90s and is still pushed today by many amazing artists.
If your at all unsure of the genre here are some artists to check.” The examples listed gave a huge and dynamic range of styles that would be listed under the generic term of “intelligent.” Nor was there a clear definition defined for compo purposes. Thats like a teacher giving you an assignment asking your opinion on what Mexican food taste like. Then fails you when you describe tacos, because she feels there are better examples like burritos. Also liquid dnb is just a generic general term to describe drum and bass or jungle music. Intelligent was a generic term use to describe a certain sound of drum and bass jungle. These are not real genres of music but adjectives within a genre.

So back to the original rule. I think most people nailed it. Some have more of that Amen style jungle pattern one would hear in the 90’s. But they still kept it 90’s esq with that intelligent atmosphere mixed in.

I think Phil is right, IV4 *****************
The initial compo post in beginning August said "don't make any neuro or liquid"
The post that you see now was modified on Septemeber 19th ...
Just saying, still I love most entries and many of them sound really awesome !!!!

Though, half of the submissions don't hit the nail in terms of genre and what has been given us as examples to follow on ..........

1539649396456.png

Sad times. I was worried I didn’t hit the intelligent target but said to myself it was my own interpretation of an ambient style DnB track. Gutted if it’s not being considered because of this, but most likely it’s just shit.

The initial compo post in beginning August said "don't make any neuro or liquid"
Just saying, still I love most entries and many of them sound really awesome !!!!

Though, half of the submissions don't hit the nail in terms of genre and what has been given us as examples to follow on ..........

View attachment 8185
That wad to update the k2t dummy track and bhk track, not a rule.

View attachment 8185
I'm sorry I fail to see the rule change within the circle. Also, did you know that typing in a bigger font makes your writing seem smarter.

But on that page you can see that the judges will judge the winners by style.
Sad times. I was worried I didn’t hit the intelligent target but said to myself it was my own interpretation of an ambient style DnB track. Gutted if it’s not being considered because of this, but most likely it’s just shit.
Dude, you are fine. I think just a couple of guys are feeling insecure about their tracks. These compos here are all about the fun, learning, and sharing. Not for pointless bickering about things that do not matter.

These compos here are all about the fun, learning, and sharing. Not for pointless bickering about things that do not matter.

Agree with this and when the names are announced there are certainly a few people I want to ask about drum processing. How you have managed to get that sound out of those samples is something I want to know!

Have listened through all the tracks and have had to make notes on each as I’m struggling to narrow it down just to two. Good effort everyone. Happy to share my feedback after voting closes if anyone wants to hear it.

Still not voted as I think I need another listen.

Id say all entrants had an ambient element, i dont see any issue with the tracks and as organiser i know were looking for numbers and interest mostly so please always send in your track even if you struggled to nail the criteria. Its a lot more difficult than i imagined to nail the "intelligent" style so i certainly wouldnt be pulling any tracks that may have fallen short. As mentioned its about learning and enjoying the process and i for one learned a lot this time round.
When it comes to voting i decided upon two tracks that reminded me of the genre however, but how you vote is up to you. Im not judging so i cant speak for them but i think they should consider the specified genre when choosing a winner. I agree thats important when down to the last 5.

I had so much fun with the project and I’ve learned a thing or two along the way. Now I’m more comfortable and probably prefer working with audio rather than midi. I never expected to score with it being my first upload and all I really want to gain is some feedback and advice for future projects.

Back
Top Bottom