In need of some guidance

Monitors are what you need, headphones are pretty shite for mixdowns really

not to say they cant be used well, cos they can. But in my experience ive always found it harder with them, most dont pick up the freq that a good set of monitors can!

well, i'm far from being an expert veteran. one thing i always do, from the first few bars through the final track is listen to it on multiple sound systems during multiple points in the production and adjust accordingly. at a minimum, i check progress on my monitors, my headphones, my car (with sub), my laptop speakers (yes! really! very telling. if you can get a track sounding good enough to come across accurately on laptop speakers you are really moving in the right direction), my earbuds my commute, the b&o sound system where i work, and at least one more - a friend's set up maybe.

i actually think it is very important to listen to your work on as many "sub-standard" systems as you can, since most people listen to music on systems like these (stock car stereo for example). if you can get your track to work on these kinds of setups, it will likely sound good all over.

couldn't have said it better myself ^

Listen to this man, he speaks z truth!

Monitors are what you need, headphones are pretty shite for mixdowns really

not to say they cant be used well, cos they can.

also very true ^

The dynamics in headphones are drastically different from normal Loudspeakers and proper Monitors... the same goes for doing Panning in the mixdown.

Headphones will lie to your ears 90% of the time.

Smith is right on point here.

Make sure to grab 'everything' from breakbeat-paradise, that site RULES!!@!! It was all free back in '04... haven't been back since... lol... because I dled 'everything' they had uploaded. Thousands of samples and loops.

I have about 5 or 6 bigfishaudio cds that I paid for, 'fantastic' quality.

Also, to add to the list, make sure you check out what the Ebay Sellers have going... you never know what kind of Gold Mine you'll find.

Last edited:
I really cant begin to thank you all enough. I'm so new to the whole scene, and you have all made me feel extremely welcome here.

I have found it very daunting when listening to some of the fantastic proffessional sounding productions on here, wondering if I will ever be able to create anything like it myself!

I have now managed to get a shite load of samples downloaded, went out and purchased "The Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman, which has alot of helpful tips, plus a whole bunch of technical jaargon that I dont understand yet!

I just need to study the various vst's and learn the details of mixing and mastering now.

Oh, and get myself a set of monitors!

I just need to study the various vst's and learn the details of mixing and mastering now.

No problem, welcome to the wonderful world of making your own music.

Now, just keep in mind... this road may take you years to get close to Mastering anything so don't ever give up.

As long as you're having fun listening to what you create, you're doing the right thing. Proper Production will come in due time with enough practice and with enough training of your ears.

Well I'm working with basics right now. I have FL Studio 8 on my home pc, doing everything through headphones. But hopefully santa will bring me a midi keyboard and some monitors.

I may even splash out on a laptop dedicated to production!

it will take time, but keep it up always - even when you get a bit discouraged. the more people making dnb, the more dnb there is to listen to!

I really cant begin to thank you all enough. I'm so new to the whole scene, and you have all made me feel extremely welcome here.

I have found it very daunting when listening to some of the fantastic proffessional sounding productions on here, wondering if I will ever be able to create anything like it myself!

I have now managed to get a shite load of samples downloaded, went out and purchased "The Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman, which has alot of helpful tips, plus a whole bunch of technical jaargon that I dont understand yet!

I must chime in.

I see you bought a Book.

Books are the best supporting resource for online training, like you're getting now.

I always buy books:

One, I don't like to bother people and two, books are more in depth when it comes to learning all the different aspects of a concept.

If you want a good book, buy Remixers Bible. Check it out at the store or at amazon before you buy. I am sure you will like it.

Also, your problem with your sound is a typical textbook example of how one sound system differs from another. You best bet is to mix on a set of monitors, even cheap entry level monitors like the KRK RP5s are worlds better than headphones.

Save your money in this order and purchase these items:
Remixers bible
MIDI keyboard
Monitors

Listen in your car, bathroom, comp speakers, work's soundsystem, a club you spin at's sound system... whatever you can get at!!

Are you compressing & EQing every channel?
How about random "Sends" are you sending Kick or anything to a reverb that might be f-in shit up?

Back
Top Bottom