How does bop go about making his drum sounds?

Ah sorry, kinda assumed peeps would know who I was talking about.

Bop -

He Is on Hospitals Med School label.

But yeah if you could shed some light on his drum/precussion sounds thatll be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me he is using a lot of minimal percussion sounds.
Try looking for some minimal sample packs, or get rid of the long release times on your percussion samples to make them very short, maybe add a bit of reverb.

Bop = Minimal... lol nobody knows him up here or what? :p

Well the genre minimal itself is something different, which is an house genre.
But using the sounds from that genre in Drum & Bass results in minimal Drum & Bass if you want to call it like that.

so if you download some minimal packs you'll be as good as finished.

pitch up drum samples a shit tonne, record your own little sounds, pitch them, chop tiny bits out to create glitches, add reverb etc
for the kicks or blips he probably uses 808 samples which are pitched or uses a synth to make em or just a sample someone else made.
simple but pretty effective beats.

Just downloading a minimal sample pack is so half arsed, its not like bop or any other minimal/autonomic artists would really do that.
learn the design, get some quality drums dont get me wrong but you can make any sound out of any half decent kit mang.
just experiment

Cheers guys for your suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

Yes, I have Bop's sample pack but like Labrat's said, It's a bit half assed.

Anyone know of any good tutorials I can look at that explain how to use a synth to make drum sounds?

Sounds to me like there's a lot of very very short clicks in there, you could try finding a single square wave sample and using that...that'll give you the sort of warped clicking effect if you sequence it right.

Other than that it just sounds like sampled nothing in particulars.

I meant get a minimal drum pack for the drums and start layering or processing those.
I wasn't talking about the synth sounds.

get a mic, record some sounds, ie crush a tin can, scrunch paper, shake bottle tops..then mess with the results, can work well. The first track you posts sounds liek hes making sounds with his hands and face (pops snaps etc). Use these sounds as inbetweens

dont talk about sample packs when someone asks hows bop making his drum sounds. its retarded, you realize bop MAKES sample packs, he doesnt use them.
what little i have heard of bops music i have really appreciated and i would love to hear more of it. but it seems like glitched up clickey and poppy drummachine sounds.
which is fun to do, and sometimes in my stuido a result of a problem. my soundcard freaks out and only records every 0.02 seconds of a loop. good, distort that, layer it with the original.
clicks and pops are the first things you get from abusing hardware. run a preamp from a desk into a compressor with extreme settings on the while lot, bet youll get a bunch of clicks and pops. delay effects before distortion. then reverb to smooth it out. kind of thing, i dont know.

they have minimal in all genres, funnily enough its just reached us, and i tell you, its the best thing to hit drum and bass since original nuttah.

dont talk about sample packs when someone asks hows bop making his drum sounds. its retarded, you realize bop MAKES sample packs, he doesnt use them.

this. thought i stepped into the bizzaro world :lol:

Back
Top Bottom