How come old DnB is so hard to get?

Some awful hilarious arguments in here..

Kleercut-kleenex.jpg

This.

I do cherish every record I have.
This is just a small pro from having vinyl. Think of all the tunes that get digital only releases? We suffer from that side...

Yeah, I'm on that with you 100%. It's a shame so much amazing music is never going to see the vinyl (unless you get it pressed yourself), but then again neither am I for keeping it vinyl only. Just because there's something I can't get I wouldn't want the same to happen to the others. I even ended up buying some of the releases supposed to be vinyl only (One Chance / Labyrinth, Mob Justice / Obsession remixes), even though they eventually became available digitally, just to be sure I won't miss on them. But as Charlie already said before, it's hard to keep up when you like to listen to and play lots of different music, I can barely keep up with the costs while buying digital, if I had to pick up everything from the past I like on vinyl, I'd probably need to sell kidneys of my whole family.
I'm sure we all have one thing in common tho and that's the passion for the music in general. And it has nothing to do with format it's being released on or format we are buying/playing.

I was really hoping this wouldn't turn into a format flamewar.

I have a lot of respect for people who have been collecting these rare records for years. I just personally wouldn't do it. But the music shouldn't be exclusive to people who collect vinyl... That's just my opinion. I don't see what's wrong with more people having access to it. That's just a good thing if you ask me.

I've actually contacted Metalheadz on Facebook on the subject, and I got this message:

Thank you for your message. I'm afraid that at the present time we only have certain tunes from those releases available, I know that Angels Fell by Dillinja, and Consciousness by Photek are at least available. I will speak to managaement about getting the full back catalogue up for sale as soon as is possible. If I get somewhere I will let you know. In the meantime please check the store by artist in the drop down box and see what titles are available from the artists you are looking for.

If someone has been looking for older Metalheadz releases like me, I would recommend writing them as well, and tell them that you would like to see this happening. Just to show there's interest for it. The more feedback, the more likely it is to happen some day.

Last edited:
Seems as though most labels only interested in releasing the commercial poop on digital instead of releasing the sounds that shaped a generation...... Sad really......

It seems quite ridiculous that a label as big as Metalheadz doesn't have it's whole back-cat available digitally already to be honest; for one, the vinyl DJ market is probably tiny by now, but also, there does seem to be genuine demand for it. Also, it's nice for the artists to be given another chance to earn some revenue from their old tunes too - why shouldn't they?

If Good Looking Records ever get round to it, there's clearly a massive demand for their back catalogue in digital format too. One of the few labels that seem to have done a good job of it is Moving Shadow, but then again, they always came across as a label that knew what they were doing from the business side of things.

from a music listeners point of views it's pretty shit.

i take the slightly elitist dj view though. it is nice to have tunes that others won't have.

if you want a tune that much buy one a usb turntable and get the vinyl. i ended up getting turntables after having cdjs because there were too many old tunes i wanted.

to be fair with a lot of the older tunes they may no longer have the project files and so on. happened with certain tunes like alien girl i believe, could have happened with a lot more - who knows

For me, art and technology are the only sensible kind of legacy us humans, as the race, have.

Why does that mean you should be allowed their work without their permission though? If i paint something to hang on my wall the rest of the world aren't entitled to a copy of it.

Why does that mean you should be allowed their work without their permission though? If i paint something to hang on my wall the rest of the world aren't entitled to a copy of it.

I'm not saying it's without their permission, they should be the ones to give it in the first place. Don't see any reasonable point in approach "I've created something wonderful/useful, fuck everyone, I'm gonna keep it to myself". It's not that I would claim we are all entitled to have everything just because we want it, I'm rather asking what's the point in allowing the possibility of something to get lost completely over time. It's not the same thing btw, they've already released it, it's like you would allow to sell the copies of your painting, but only on the postcards, no wallpapers or something.

Dillinjas My Sound album has quite a few of his classics on it.

Id love to collect oldskool vinyl, but I simply dont have the money (although if anyones selling 1210s and a load of jungle, PM!). If the old tunes arent around to buy on MP3 (that moondance classics album is siiiiick) I download vinyl rips. My opinion is that thats whats gonna keep the oldskool alive, not you vinyl junkies holding on stubbornly to peices of plastic, but that plastic being ripped and uploaded and multiplied so generations to come can listen to it. This seems to be the generally accepted view when it comes to oldskool sets, so why not tunes?

Its not about people owning an old vinyl-only tune so its value being preserved.. its a fucking piece of music, it was made to be listened to....

cheers mish for enlightening me that amazon sold points in time, been waiting on discogs for a decent priced one in the uk to crop up (y)

Stamps were made for post but now people collect them. I guess it's similar to that. I do agree though. I have a few jungle vinyls that not many people would have heard so I rip them to show and give to people because otherwise these tunes will be just lost in time. My holy grail is definitely photek - say it/one nation on prototype recordings (pro006). I would quite happily buy that for £200 no doubt. If anyone has it and wants to sell hit me up!

So all the cheapskate digital DJ homos can only play the latest guff while all the real cunts get the stone cold classics. It's an analogue conspiracy m8.

I guess it's just a sacrifice you choose to make if you go digital. Not all the old tunes will be readily available. The inconvenient truth. The same way that not all tunes will be readily available for the vinyl heads.

Just bought cybotron and this http://www.discogs.com/release/236743

Thats the only place where medicine remix got released digitally according to rolldabeats.

Still got loads more that I'm on the look out for! I want to only record from vinyl if I really have to, would much rather pay and get the cd with better quality, and since I switched to traktor music is so cheap so I don't mind paying a bit extra for these hard to find tunes

some people are too worried about what will happen in future when we're long gone. so what some music gets forgotten over time? everything gets forgotten over time, this is how time works. what is now is now and what was then was then. everything has start and end. also some people are collecting like crazy, thinking they need to have all the tunes they like by any means. sometimes a piece of music has more value just in your memory than as a digital or physical copy. of course if you're collecting for the sake of it...but in the end what does it give you?

i'm not pointing fingers to anyone from here. and i'm not telling anyone how they should live. just saying how i see it.

for 100 tunes reissued digitally, there are 1000000 which may never again see the light of day from their original pressing. the fun is in the hunt

for 100 tunes reissued digitally, there are 1000000 which may never again see the light of day from their original pressing. the fun is in the hunt

yea talk about 78s from 20-s, 30-s, 40's etc. now these records are rare as fuck. impossible to get most even if you have loads of money - not to talk about digis.

Back
Top Bottom