Garage Help! Why these drums?

randomjunglist

Student of Junglism
I was reading Burial's interview with Blackdown (2006) and Burial said something about the drums on the track embedded at the end of the post that I've not been able to justify, which goes as follows:

That tune’s never left my head... And the thing about those drums: they’re still the future. It’s not a lost art – people still don’t know how to do those drums. It’s an unknown thing.​

What I don't understand is what is so remarkable or elusive about these drums. I understand that they are well-made, and that they are perfectly settled in the mix, being just punchy enough, yet nice and dry, but yet I've heard much more captivating drums than these. Or is that just it? I'm no newb to electronic music or production—not to brag but to let you know where I'm at—so this really bothers me (I am quite new to garage, however, and that may be it)...

Loads of people fall in love with a particular sound and spend ages trying to recreate it.
Usually turns out the original producer didn't put that much thought into it.

I don't think everyone idolises these drums the way burial does tbh.

That's good to know. I mean, the drums good, but I wouldn't say there's anything incredibly outstanding about them.

They suit the tune well and aren't overproduced. I actually really like Burials drums. They're so grainy.

One problem with D&B is people focus too much on the punch, rather than the tone.

Back
Top Bottom