Help A Noobie Thread

You got to play what you like but only once you know how to play it.

You can work your way from shit easy house and then cross and you'll have the skills to play it - and then develope into a good dnb dj or you can try the hardend first - which I've seen lead into serious frustration. Dnb can be fucking difficult to play because of its variety especially if nobody is there to teach how its played - which Sneezing's problem.

Oh yeah, mixing trance is a piece of piss :)

I learnt on broken beats and it almost killed me (frustration!).

Just thought I would give a bit of an update on this thread.

So, I have been practicing a fair bit, and I am noticing notable improvements. I gave up on the idea of starting with house and basically just jumped into th deep end by playing dnb. Maybe the idea of mixing trance / house does have merit, but like I said earlier I have NO idea about either of those genres.

One thing that still perplexes me though is how the pro's get their mixes to sound so flawless & continuous. Mine still somewhat clumsy at best. I do understand that practice is the key, but it feels as if my progress is starting to flatten. I mean, I know how it should sound like in my head, but when I try to do it, it always sounds different.

As far a bpm counters go, I am now of the opinion that they are useless as far as dnb is concerned. Not sure if this is bad etiqutte, but I have found looking at the led level thingie to be more useful.

So thats really it. Just thought I would keep you posted

sneezing7 said:
Just thought I would give a bit of an update on this thread.

So, I have been practicing a fair bit, and I am noticing notable improvements. I gave up on the idea of starting with house and basically just jumped into th deep end by playing dnb. Maybe the idea of mixing trance / house does have merit, but like I said earlier I have NO idea about either of those genres.

One thing that still perplexes me though is how the pro's get their mixes to sound so flawless & continuous. Mine still somewhat clumsy at best. I do understand that practice is the key, but it feels as if my progress is starting to flatten. I mean, I know how it should sound like in my head, but when I try to do it, it always sounds different.

As far a bpm counters go, I am now of the opinion that they are useless as far as dnb is concerned. Not sure if this is bad etiqutte, but I have found looking at the led level thingie to be more useful.

So thats really it. Just thought I would keep you posted

i found when i took some time off every once in a while, my progress would jump ahead when i came back to the decks.

don't use the bpm counters or the "led thingies". they don't help you in the long run. you basically just need to get used to separating the beats in your head and recognizing drops, downbeats, etc on the fly. you can do all sorts of stuff to get used to this (eg counting beats) but once it becomes second nature then you're set.

also, start practicing pitch-chasing when you're somewhat comfortable with mixing. that's where you use the pitch fader on the turntables and don't touch the platter or the record.

pitch chasing imo is the easiest and quickest way to beatmap a mix maybe a blend of both pitch and flicking the vinyl. it takes time but trust me you'll know the day u figure it out wake up and it clicks like most things in life. and there no point in buying other styles of music to help u beatmap just get dnb and try hard things be ambitios with your double drops and eventually u will get the hang of it, time and practice! keep at it never loose face! DO NOT GIVE UP! safe

after reading more of what you said, instead of goin on wat the last person said, my advice to you is buy loads of sets go out get loads or if you know how dowload some im sure panty has a few, if you listen to loads of dnb you'll get a feel for the tunes you keep hearing and then you will be able to figure out double drops from listenin to other tunes all the time it wont be perfect but it will give you a better understanding of the tunes you keep hearing plus it will help you learn how to bring tunes in, wat tune's sound good together etc just listen and learn and put wat you learn to practice, go to raves, watch some dj's live!

Last edited:
Sphinx:

I have been listening to dnb for yeeeeeeeeeears, but it's only recently I have developed an interest in learning how it all works. As far as sets go...damn... I have just over 10gb of them! But now, as opposed to lighting one up and listening to them, I sit and analyse whats going on. It's like I am studying for a phd in dnb or something.

My biggest problem is that dnb in Cyprus is not popular, so going and seeing a pro is not an option. There are a few people on the island who spin, so hopefully I can learn a thing or two from them.

either ways - I am not giving up!!

nice one ok then all i can say to ya is practice its not an over night jobby but once it clicks you wont forget and it will become second nature the beatmappin is one hurdle then the double droppin /teasin is just an adaptation u cant do those things before beatmapping cause it will be impossible get beatmappin then the rest follows, if that makes sense? theres little tricks u gota know aswell i.e bringin a tune in and making sure its in beat using the cue on the mixer right etc, theres alot to think about but its all about doing things randomly learn all aspects that way, just pick up random tunes throw em in at any point beatmap em, then pull em bak to the beggining and put it in the right place? does that make sense?????? i cant explain it only if u understand bars the same way i do i dont take it as a musical beat thing i take it as a point where something more comes into the tune or the tune breaks down or it drops, these are all points in a tune where it hits a 'bar' in my mind. for e.g Subfocus - X-ray every1 knows this tune right? to me this has 3 bars to the drop, (from the beggining of the tune to wen it drops). so say if i had a 1 bar tune i beatmap for the first bar an a half and then go bak to the beggining and wait on the breakdown to drop it in. (thats a bit of a retarded example seeing as its probably the worst place to start matching beats in x ray but still i hope u get wat i mean) anyway, im just saying wats in my head when i mix, every1ns different, each to there own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom