Half-step Terminology

I have decided to use both terms. Half-time will be used for tracks that have a similar drum pattern to Organiser Remix since in order to produce them the general tempo has to be set between 85 - 90 bpm. Half-step will be used for what the kids call drumstep (like the Something New Remix) which can be obtained at 170 - 180. (if you consider that 90 and 180 are D&B tempos as well)

20fvspk.jpg

It depends whether you define tempo as the number of beats per minute or if you define it as the ratio of beats to minutes.

i think there is a difference between two tempos when one is half. you wouldnt say hip hop is same tempo as drum and bass...

just putting that out there :)

But the stylistic difference between hip hop and drum and bass is pretty big hence why you don't say it's the same thing if a producer who normally produces drum and bass produces a tune with pretty much all other elements of drum and bass but just has half time drums I'm going to just call it drum and bass rather than try and claim it to be a complete new sub genre, there's already too much of that shit on the go.

To be fair BPM readers on mixers have halved the tempo of D&B since day one! Just the way it calculates stuff.

If it's half time, half step, full time or whatever it's all D&B. Must we be so persistent to give everything it's own little name?

To be fair BPM readers on mixers have halved the tempo of D&B since day one! Just the way it calculates stuff.

If it's half time, half step, full time or whatever it's all D&B. Must we be so persistent to give everything it's own little name?

If one must be honest, I am a bit of an OCD when it comes to D&B :P That is why I asked in the first place.

All this "its all d&b stop trying to give it a new name" is getting annoying. Yes, it's all drum and bass, but does it hurt to categorise things a little bit more? No one is claiming that half-time is a sub genre of d&b, its just a term that is useful to clarify the beat structure.

All this "its all d&b stop trying to give it a new name" is getting annoying. Yes, it's all drum and bass, but does it hurt to categorise things a little bit more? No one is claiming that half-time is a sub genre of d&b, its just a term that is useful to clarify the beat structure.

What I'm trying to avoid is that question...

What do you play?

Err I play drumstep, halftime, neurofunk, minimal, footwork inspired....

I just want to say D&B.

I'm too old & busy to worry about the 1,000,000 sub genres and names! :D:D

Yeah I know what you mean. But saying 'I listen to d&b" to someone who knows the genre doesn't really tell them a lot. Rather than telling them all the artists you listen to, why not just have a word or two that better describes it.

Yeah I know what you mean. But saying 'I listen to d&b" to someone who knows the genre doesn't really tell them a lot. Rather than telling them all the artists you listen to, why not just have a word or two that better describes it.

How about, "the tunes Andy C doesn't play."

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I agree. Theres nothing wrong with breaking tunes down into categories to differentiate them.

Back
Top Bottom