Empire State Remix Competition

Weird question, does anybody listen to the original before they remix it? I really try not to hear the original track to try and come up with something on my own. Anybody have any thoughts to my opinion.
I listened to the original when this was first announced, but i haven't listened to it since... i tried [and succeded] at not listening to the original till after I got my basic layout for my remix setup, and really i just checked the original to make sure i didn't just rebuild the original tune.. [that being said i made a completely new bass and drum kit, so i really wasn't too worried about it this time round] This is the 2nd time i've tried to do a remix this way, and i like it.

Last edited:
Weird question, does anybody listen to the original before they remix it? I really try not to hear the original track to try and come up with something on my own. Anybody have any thoughts to my opinion.
Yeah. In my opinion a remix should have some common element with the original (even if its just parts of the vocal) as otherwise it's just a new track using some of the same sounds/samples.

all the parts are already processed, my tip would be to not add too much more as you're just going to diminish what is already golden
I'm beginning to think that my track has the piano more exposed so any deficiencies are more apparent.

I finally listen to the original, I feel like I eq my drums all wrong, and I suck. :( How you guys feel about it?

That winning remix is really nice.

Twas a pleasure to try a remix for this tune, despite not making the cut for the 16 mentions. Thank you to @blumarten for giving unknown artists the chance to be heard. :2thumbs:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom