Dimenzion-X : Shadows of the midnight sun (deep rolling DnB)

Nice beats, bass sounded phat but a bit all over the place, note wise. not sure about the stabby synth, the note of that was off quite a lot. Over all beats and mastering are the major plus points !

emmeeji

Cheers protoplasym. Appreciate your honesty.

When writing or mixing down I'm on headphones, and to me it sounded loud enough and everything sounded right, I guess thats one of the many flaws of using headphones. I'll take your words into consideration and see if I can amend the problems and work on them some more

Wow, on Heaphones eh... you should 'never' mixdown on Headphones. I'm listening to the new Mix and the KD and SD sound much better now! KD is perfect... SD could come up a smidge (if only for my taste anyway), it sounds much better than before, but a half DB up wouldn't hurt it I don't think : )

The Sub is still a couple DB too big imo. It's romping in these headphones I'm listening to it on... and I understand why you feel you need it this loud... it's because you're mixing it down on headphones. The main Lead stab sounds great where it's at, your other misc Pad sounds work where they're at but personally I'd bring them up a DB or so.

There is a basic rule everyone can follow... and it works quite well: When someone listens to a track, they should have the option of boosting the Sub if it's too low for them or their system, BUT... they should 'never' have to turn down their Sub because it's too loud for their ears or their system. Think about that.

It is 'not' the end of the world if someone has to boost their Sub in their car, or on their mixer (when djing)/etc/etc to get the Bass hitting where they want it... as long as your KD doesn't become too loud at that point and other misc low end sounds in your mix don't become too loud. But it is a piss poor sight when someone feels the track has too much Sub and they have to turn that down on their EQ and the KD ends up suffering/etc.

And as I'm sure you know... you have got to stop doing your mixdown work in the Headphones at once. ONLY use your headphones for Stereo referencing and general Sequence layout checks.

One other cool tip (picked up from a book): is to listen to your Mix from an adjacent room... to see if all the elements have their own space when listening to the Mix from a nearby room.... and you can do this trick at different volumes as well.

Last thing.. if you don't have a Spectrum Analyser, I suggest you acquire one asap. That tool along with using your ears on speakers you can trust/have learned (inside and out) will help you nail your Mixdowns with minimal need for referencing the Mix on multiple setups (car, friends system, club, computer speakers/etc).

:keepjammin:

Your style is Dark and the Force is strong with you.
: )

Thanks protoplasym. Unfortunately I don't have any other option than to mixdown on headphones right now. I don't own monitor speakers. And I produce using only my home pc which sits in the living room. Which is also where the ball and chain sits and watches tv! Right now I can't afford a new pc or laptop, nor can I afford monitor speakers! So until then, you guys are my reference! Lol!

Thanks protoplasym. Unfortunately I don't have any other option than to mixdown on headphones right now. I don't own monitor speakers. And I produce using only my home pc which sits in the living room. Which is also where the ball and chain sits and watches tv! Right now I can't afford a new pc or laptop, nor can I afford monitor speakers! So until then, you guys are my reference! Lol!

Cool beans: I hear ya! : )

I know you're probably going to say, "wtf is he smoking", lol... but honestly, I used the older series of these speaks for over a year and they served me well once I learned where they were deficient (which is what you have to do with pretty much any speaker, unless it's a perfect Reference speaker that's 100% flat)... but if you've got the $100 or less/may be cheaper on Ebay/etc.. I say check 'em out.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=us,en

Simply disregard the center speaker, and use the 4 Mids placed on either side of you in plain 2 way Stereo, along with the Sub (turned way down mind you, maybe 1/4 from zero, you just want it "there" and not in your face).

Tbh, these speaks are great to reference material on, I wouldn't recommend them for Monitoring if you had more dough, but for $100 or less, you can't go wrong... they're pretty flat sounding imo, definitely need to have the Sub turned down though or it'll cloud what you're hearing in the 60-120hz too much.

:muchprops: for nailing the Mixdown as well as you have in Headphones!!

Bam!

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG

That's the earlier series... tellin ya, I was doing pretty decent Mixdown work on these ^ for over a year and they served me well. They're not going to tell you much in the 60hz and below department but as far as nailing volumes for everything else, they should be solid... combine them with a quality SA and you'll be good to go until you can afford something more suited for Production.

spot on, logitech speakers are great, they have a nice compression to them. learnt to mixdown on them b4 i got my monitors. the subwoofer is banging aswell..

when im staying at my parents for uni break, im using my moms logitechs for producing aswell. be aware of t he sub :D

and on the track. ill second that you should turn up the snare a bit. apart from that - good track! really liked the atmospherics in there! sounds well produced overall aswell, apart from the snare imo.

nice one!

Last edited:
loving the whole arrangement and vibes,sounds original... my only concern is that the bass is growling too much,and it needs helps in the mid-range (i'd put gliding synth..but you might put different mid sound)

spot on, logitech speakers are great, they have a nice compression to them. learnt to mixdown on them b4 i got my monitors. the subwoofer is banging aswell..

when im staying at my parents for uni break, im using my moms logitechs for producing aswell. be aware of t he sub :D

Tellin ya Mr. Fletch : )))
They will be 10x more accurate than your Monitors I promise.

Back
Top Bottom